Made My Day

I'm going in for a gallbladder removal and umbilical hernia repair Tuesday. The nurse from the hospital called to go over medicines, illnesses, past surgeries, etc.

I started going into my usual "song and dance" about Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia, speaking to her as if she knew nothing.

To my surprise, she said, "Oh, we get several people in here with POTS." "We're familiar with it."

Wow!

They've come a long way since 2003 when I was first diagnosed and nobody had heard of it.

It made my day!

I was in the ER last week after having my stent out from kidney stone surgery. My ER doc was great, he knew about POTS. He let me tell him what I could do. I knew what I could not take. He was great.

Post-surgical update:

My cholecystectomy/umbilical hernia repair went fine, but........

For me, coming out of the anesthetic was a nightmare. I felt deathly ill, like I needed to throw up, my head hurt severely like a migraine, and I was extremely sensitive to any motion of my head. The nurse kept telling me to take deep breaths, I guess to stop the quirky machine from going "off" because I had low oxygenation. Finally, I was given supplemental oxygen.

Honestly speaking, I hope this is the last surgery that I'll ever need. I felt so bad in recovery that I prayed for death. Can you imagine, death seemed like a welcome alternative to what I was feeling?

This kind of reaction happened to me 13 years ago following a 15 minute D&C. This was a one hour operation.

The only thing I can think of doing is to get my surgery/anesthesia reports and to beg the doctors not to give me any stuff listed on there.

I already know I'm overly sensitive to meds, so this sensitivity to anesthesia doesn't surprise me.

Is there anyone else with POTS out there who has had a severe reaction to anesthetic?

glad surgery went well futurehope, but i'm sorry you've felt so poorly. i'm also having problems after gen. an. i'm always very sick, throwing up for hours (untill thei give me something to stop it), bp very low hr sky high and terrible headaches. i really hope you'll feel better soon and that you'll benefit from this surgery after having had such a bad time!

corina :)

All of my adult life I have been a puker for hours after surgery. It was AWFUL, and the worst part of surgery. In the last two, I've had a problem with not being able to pee for hours after surgery, like a half a day.

I told the anesthesiologist for my last surgery(thyroid removed) how much I vomit and was afraid that all the vomiting would somehow affect the neck surgery site, and he popped on a patch behind my ear. It was a miracle!! Not even any nausea!

Sorry you felt so bad, but came through it without the diseased gallbladder and with a fixed hernia!

Well, from what I was told, I was given anti-nausea meds before coming to, as well as after. Each time the nurse injected me with something else, I felt worse. My only recourse was to live through it. Fortunately, about 5 hours post-surgery I started to feel like a human.

Yes, I'm glad I had my gallbladder removed. I just hope I never need any other surgery.

The injectable meds for nausea never helped me, that's why I was stunned with the ear patch.

BTW, pay attention to your intestines closely for a few weeks. When I had my gallbladder out, I ended up with the "bile diarrhea" for a few years. It definitely calmed down, and then the dreaded constipation started.