We Can't Let It Happen!!!!!

issie

I just read the newsletter. Michelle is looking for someone to take the site over and the association. If she can't find someone . . . we're all out of a place to talk, vent and discover new possibilities. I know I don't have the energy to do this job. But, can't someone take this on? It will be a SAD, SAD day when we don't have this avenue of information and place to talk any more.

It would seem that webmaster would be the key role. If I am interpreting it correctly that role in itself has become overwhelming as a volunteer position.

Michelle has been a saint to have created this place and to keep it going as long as she has. I would see her pleas for someone to step up and take over and wish that I felt well enough on a consistent basis to do so.

DINET helps so many people and so many of us count on it to check in. It may be time to change the model and hire a webmaster. At a guess this cost would be around 5200 annually. To raise this we could consider a tiered forum - free to read with advertisements to the general public, a $10 basic membership allowing posting with ads, $25 and up full membership without ads. The ad revenue would need to be generated in addition to monies needed to keep the forum up and running - currently about $2400 per year, I believe.

Please comment and let the group know how you feel about the possibilities I have mentioned and/or your thoughts otherwise on the forum's demise.

I agree that this is a resource we cannot afford to lose. Unforutnately I don't know that there are many here that are up for the tasks. Perhaps the points/ideas that Reen makes are valid. This is very far out of my comfort zone - I know nothing about any of what would be needed keep this organization up and running. I would like to offer my support, but I don't even know what I could offer that would be helpful :) Looking forward to seeing what people come up with to keep DINET alive!

I would be willing to pay a fairly high price for a membership. I am so grateful for the insight from the members here. I don't know a thing about running a nonprofit and I am not even well enough to do so at this point. If paying a director would keep the site running, I say farm it out.

I haven't posted before, since I am still in the process of getting a proper diagnosis, but Dinet has been such a help that I can't afford to keep quiet on this one...

I just made a donation to the webpage, and hopefully everyone that can afford it will do the same. I am extremely grateful to Michelle for the work she has done :)

I thought of a few more ways to make money (I think ads are a great idea, and I'm also happy to pay for membership). I noticed that there is a link to something called iGive on the donation page, and I just registered, although I'm a little confused to wether or not I need to go through that page every time I make a purchase? :unsure: I've seen direct amazon links on other webpages, and if it is possible to do this in addition to iGive, maybe it would be a good idea, as it is quite visible and easy to shop through those links(no need to install anything, I think). I've just taken a quick look at the amazon site, and though I'm no expert in these things, they also have something called an 'aStore' where you can "Feature any Amazon products in a self contained online store embedded directly within your web page." and earn up to 10% when people buy (https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/). How about setting up a Dysautonomia handy store with things like pulse watches, blood pressure cuffs etc. recommended by users on this site? A POTS-start pack, so to speak? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who shops online to save energy, so if we could make it easy to do this shopping through Dinet I'm sure it could be fairly profitable...

Also, what about selling Dinet & POTS/Dysautonomia awareness t-shirts through Zazzle.com? It is very easy to set up (I'd be happy to do it) and a good way to raise awareness and also make a little bit of money off every sale.

I'm in no position to run a webpage either, but I'd be happy to take on some other tasks

Those are some great ideas, Syd. I'm at a point where I can barely get my thoughts together enough to write a post, much less do a website, but I would be glad to contribute to keep it going. The site has been so helpful to me and so many others.

So, is the idea to look for a paid webmaster?

I'm up for paying membership, as long as it is not too high one. Some of us have had to stop working because of our disabilities and with the economy today - if the membership is to high - some of us may not can do that. I wish we could somehow, keep it as a donation site - as it is, and some of us take over some of the responsiblities and keep it running. Michelle has gotten the bugs worked out of this program, I'd hate for that to be changed, just when it seems to be running smoothly. Also, the public needs to have free access to the site - so that the messeage and info can get out. If people have to pay to learn about dysautonomia and to read what we write (showing how complex, yet connected we all are) I'm afraid that we will lose a valuable resource for our messeage. Google picks up our conversations and post the ones that are of interest to them, and what they think the public would like to read about. So, we don't want it to be too exclusive. I know with the EDS site, I didn't join because of the membership fee and the rules and restrictions involved. I think that it would have been nice to read some of the comments that members write - but couldn't/didn't do it. I'm afraid that might be the case if that's the way this site goes.

I agree, Issie. In the past, I have not joined anything that had a fee. I know all these forums can set up to have Adsense and other paid ads. This would bring in money for the website. That is how Healthboards and all the others work, with paid ads. That would keep this forum free and open to all--just need to find someone to take on the webmaster duties.

I already sent an email and hoping to hear back. I am up for volunteering my time as well. Probably not the President position, but maybe if we could spread the work load around we might be able to keep things afloat.

Also, I have no idea if the $$ being dontaed are actually getting to Dinet. I donated $ a few weeks back and confirmed it was taken out of my account, but never heard anything from the site?? I notice a lot of people have 'Supporter' in their profile information??? I purposely did not donate as much as I would have if I knew for sure the $ were going to 'our' cause.

I think with the amount of wonderful, intelligent, helpful & insightful people on the site....we can keep it up and running!!!!! :) Where there is a will, there is a way.

I haven't posted before, since I am still in the process of getting a proper diagnosis, but Dinet has been such a help that I can't afford to keep quiet on this one...

I just made a donation to the webpage, and hopefully everyone that can afford it will do the same. I am extremely grateful to Michelle for the work she has done :)

I thought of a few more ways to make money (I think ads are a great idea, and I'm also happy to pay for membership). I noticed that there is a link to something called iGive on the donation page, and I just registered, although I'm a little confused to wether or not I need to go through that page every time I make a purchase? :unsure: I've seen direct amazon links on other webpages, and if it is possible to do this in addition to iGive, maybe it would be a good idea, as it is quite visible and easy to shop through those links(no need to install anything, I think). I've just taken a quick look at the amazon site, and though I'm no expert in these things, they also have something called an 'aStore' where you can "Feature any Amazon products in a self contained online store embedded directly within your web page." and earn up to 10% when people buy (https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/). How about setting up a Dysautonomia handy store with things like pulse watches, blood pressure cuffs etc. recommended by users on this site? A POTS-start pack, so to speak? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who shops online to save energy, so if we could make it easy to do this shopping through Dinet I'm sure it could be fairly profitable...

Also, what about selling Dinet & POTS/Dysautonomia awareness t-shirts through Zazzle.com? It is very easy to set up (I'd be happy to do it) and a good way to raise awareness and also make a little bit of money off every sale.

I'm in no position to run a webpage either, but I'd be happy to take on some other tasks

Great Ideas Syd!!! Now if we could ALL put our heads together??

Welcome and I for one appreciated the Post!!

I also do not know much about running these things, but it seems to me that there are a lot of volunteers who can devote a little bit of time. If Michelle's job was broken down and each volunteer was given a small but specific task, then everything could be accomplished. There would probably need to be one or two volunteers who's job it would be to make sure that everyone else is doing their job --kind of just to oversee things. Again... I dont really know anything about running these things, it just made sense to me :).

I would also be willing to pay a small fee to use the site if that is the route it goes down.

I worry that not enough of the public knows about us to try and sell ad space. Who would do it? I like the idea of making the president's job into a couple of different jobs, but then you don't have the continuity that having one person in charge brings. I know that several sites similar to ours does charge a fee, like $25-$40, but that makes the site exclusionary. I hope that everyone on the forum contributes what they can to keep it running, even if it's $5 or so. Those of us who can afford a little more should make a point to give when they can.

I think the best solution is to have someone take over Michelle's job as is, but that may be difficult, especially since it's not a paid position. We may have to divvy up certain responsibilities to keep the site running. I'm volunteering now, but unfortunately cannot take on more duties for the site at this time.

Does anyone know how the position is being advertised? I assume it's just among us....There has to be some solution out there! Does Michelle have a "cut-off" date??

Indeed the site as home to the community is much too important to lose.

One aid to fundraising would be to put a PayPal link on the home page (and possibly at the top of the forum). PayPal has made it easy for nonprofits to use -

My link

This seems like a fairly straightforward way to start raising money now.