Sinus Infection, Sore Throat & Headache

gertie

I'm going through a miserable time. I have sinus inf with temp. I need decongestant but can't tolerate them, also need pain killer but can't tolerate them either. The only antihistamine I can take at all is Allegra & if I take more than a childs dose I have a seizure. I can't win. I'm using heating pad & using nasal rinse but that isn't helping either. Any suggestions. Thanks.

I can't tolerate decongestants either, but it sounds like it's time for some antibiotics if you aren't taking some already. Don't try to wait it out. I tried that with a sinus infection I had about a month ago. All I did was make the infection that much harder to get rid of of. Especially if you're running a temp.

Do you have a good osteopath near you? While they can't cure infections, a Dr who's good at osteopathic manipulation can really open up my head & relieve a lot of pressure... and it's hands-on only -- drug free :)

Can you take Mucinex (Guafenasin)? It will thin the mucus without causing the sympathetic effects of a decongestant. Afrin is topical and has never caused me to have side effects, it will open you up to let the mucus drain out. Then there is always the Neti Pot. Just warm salt water running through your nose...it is NOT as gross or hard as it sounds. I have always found it very soothing and I am a veteran of many sinus infections. Good luck, I hope you find some relief!

Hi,

Just thought I would add to the suggestions.

For a sore throat I have found the best thing for me is a teaspoon of honey, a couple of teaspoons of Pure lemon juice and some hot water mixed all together. The honey I find leaves a lovely soothing coating on your throat. This was recommended to me by my cousin who has cystic fibrosis - so lots of coughing, chest infections and sore throats. She has problems with antibiotics as she is immune to most of them now. The good thing about this is you can have as much as you want!

For the sinuses - I wont lie this hurts like ****- but the sweet relief! Pure Lemon juice warmed on a teaspoon and sniffed up your nose. My god it makes your eyes water but it clears the pain ridiculously quickly. I have used this for about 20 years and it never fails. I actually found this in a herbal medicine book, I used to get chronic sinus infections for years and then suddenly they went - I have no idea why. The lemon juice snorting was the only thing that provided me with relief. I vomit copiously when I have sinusitis, so I like to get rid of the pressure as quickly as possible.

Lemon juice is a natural anti septic. Another herbal thing to try for your sore throat is sage tea - doesn't taste too good, but I am told by friends this works. You need dried sage, add a couple of teaspoons of dried sage to hot water allow to steep for ten minutes then gargle each mouthful before you swallow. Obviously I forgot to add you can strain the "tea" before gargling and swallowing! LOL

My mum and sister inhale steam with Olbas oil in it. It doesn't do anything for me. My mum also puts a hot water bottle on her face and gets relief that way. I tend to only do that when the pain has gone into my front teeth.

I hope these suggestions help - if not at least made you laugh thinking of me snorting lemon juice! LOL

Rach

I forgot to add my mum, sis and I all swear by massaging the sinus area as well to help get rid of the awful pressure headache. Failing that we all rely upon a really hot curry to get the juices flowing.

Can you take Mucinex (Guafenasin)? It will thin the mucus without causing the sympathetic effects of a decongestant. Afrin is topical and has never caused me to have side effects, it will open you up to let the mucus drain out. Then there is always the Neti Pot. Just warm salt water running through your nose...it is NOT as gross or hard as it sounds. I have always found it very soothing and I am a veteran of many sinus infections. Good luck, I hope you find some relief!

This all works for me too. :)

You could always talk to your doctor about Afrin (it's very short-term use, 3-5 days is the max I always hear) and maybe try the first dose in the doctor's office? It really helped me through my last infection. I hadn't ever used it until then. Boy, what a difference! I could breath!