5Htp / L- Tryptophan

I love 5HTP and SAMe. Good for many things. You can't just stop taking a medicine that you are on though. Ask your doctor if you are on a SSRI. I only take supplements to replenish things I need. Works great for me. We are all different.

I take 5HTP in the morning and at night. SAMe at noon. My doctors guide my brands and dosages, schedule etc. No side effects at all. LOVE them. Have you googled and read up on them? I read about them in my books also.

This subject has been brought up before and I might have been the one to bring it up! You could try a search on it to see older posts. I want to try the 5-HTP again. I tried it over a year ago and I think I was just still too messed up to tolerate it. But it was like that with every new med or supplement! Start small and go up slowly is my only suggestion. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

KC

Word of caution. Same is not for everyone - if there are bi-polar symptoms - it can make it worse. No everyone can tolerate the stomach distress of 5-htp either. Any time you up seratonin it can cause digestive problems. Some of seratonin is made in the gut. That is why this part of you is affected.

I have tried both and for me, the antidepressant was much more effective.

However if you are looking for just a boost, you should try the 5htp. I have panic attacks and adrenaline surges and it just didn't cut it for me.

With both I had side effects but the eventually went away as my body got used to it. Also the antidepressant really helped my autonomic symptoms.

Everyone can be so different. It depends what you need. I cannot take chemicals, prescriptions. The natural compounds are always easy for me. As I said, my integrative MD's guide me with it all. I do not take any without them knowing. You do have to always start with a lose dose and hopefully ask a knowledgeable MD. I know they usually don't know about supplements, but some do and hopefully more will.