Pain In The Neck

greetings all,

for the past week or so-- i have been experiencing some odd new symptoms...

does any of this sound familiar to anyone? as always your input and insight are appreciated.

with thanks and healthful wishes,

cordelia

--right sided neck pressure--a sense that right side of neck is being constricted--runs from clavicle to just under jaw

--right strangling sensation--more pronounced when supine--feel as if there is something compressing the right side of outer throat

--visible neck pulse--visible with each heart beat--visible when seated or supine

scheduled to meet with cardio on thursday--and i will review all with him. PCP suggested that issues were related to a muscle strain

(had pneumonia--lots of coughing--still recuperating) however, this does not feel like something awry with the musculature...

My symptoms at the moment are not identical, but I had to comment because I literally just got home from the ER. I went in for severe neck and back pain, all up and down my spine, along with a respiratory infection. And got a spinal tap for my trouble, yipee! My neck pain is a burning, stabbing sensation, but so potent it makes it hard to swallow, and I have lost nearly my whole range of motion. More tests tomorrow, they are sending me for an MRI. My labs are a disaster, so they know something is up, just not sure what...

Sandy

I have this exact pain, though mine can be on either side (never at the same time) After years of x-rays, MRI's seeing a cardio, a pulmonologist, and a rheumatologist, blood work and visits to the ED no one has found any problems. So if you do find some answers let us know what you find out.

oh sandy, what an ordeal. you have my heartfelt empathy. best of luck with the testing and ferreting out good answers. my lungs/pneumonia finally cleared after prednisone, several steroid based inhalers-- and an antibiotic... sending healthful wishes your way. thank you for taking the time to respond in the midst of your own crisis. with my best, cordelia

I just wanted you to know that I'm sending prayers & good wishes, Cordelia. I pray it's nothing as serious as a problem with your carotid, but know you will check it out. Please post when you know something.

Healing Hugs-

Julie

How Bizarre that you posted this today. My heart rate started to increase last night, woke up with my sleeping/supine pulse 91. Got up and started with a headache and neck pain(right sided). My heart rate was all over the place, bent down to pick up something off the floor and went from 80 to 147, started to black out, but caught myself. Then the cough started when I got to work. It's amazing how I got this cold or whatever it is overnight. Not to mention I'm 3 days away from period. Can you say "flare-up". I ache all over and just want to cry. So I call the neuro, and I'm told to up my dose on Midodrine.

Hope you start feeling better and get the answers you need.

Jennifer

scheduled to meet with cardio on thursday--and i will review all with him. PCP suggested that issues were related to a muscle strain

(had pneumonia--lots of coughing--still recuperating) however, this does not feel like something awry with the musculature...

Cordelia-

What did your cardio have to say about the neck symptoms?

Are you scheduled for a carotid ultrasound?

hello all--

thank you for chiming in with good counsel and good sense.

today, cardio was reassuring-- he (like the PCP) suggested that this may be connected to muscle strain... but he also said that given the other symptoms--he, too, wanted me to do the ultrasound of CA tomorrow. i will update after CA. in the meantime i am all about blood thinning-- grape seed extract and aspirin... perhaps i am slightly paranoid at this point. seems that it is never something delightfully simple or mundane... after the myriad of health issues these past years-- i am left feeling leery and perhaps a bit paranoid and a bit frightened... i am so grateful to

have this marvelous consortium of fine minds... what a resource, what a gift.

jennifer, the pneumonia seemed to effect everything... out of nowhere: wacky HR and major issues with bending over. for me, bending over is never easy--but recently, trying to pick up the dog resulted in disaster: started to black out... managed to drag us both to bed... frightening... goodbye proprioception. this last bout was difficult---came on without warning. it all much better now-- except for the maddening neck issue... oh, and the coughing lasted for some time and wreaked havoc with my heart rate. please take good care. i refused to slow down and dragged myself about--a terrible mistake-- i paid for my hubris.

with my best,

cordelia

hello all--

nothing to report. ultra sound was on friday--results on tuesday. am vaguely certain if there was

anything noteworthy there would have been an earlier read. symptoms unchanged. pulsation still visible--though now

only when supine. not sure what to think at this point. could this just be another odd manifestation of the dysautonomia...

with best and healthful wishes to all,

cordelia

very happy to report CA ultra sound--normal.

still hoping to understand what is causing this pressure and pulsating.

though symptoms remain unchanged---am assured by ultra sound results.

wondering if this could be GERD...

thank you to all for your concern and input.

with healthful wishes,

~cordelia

Very good news- Cordelia!!! At least the scary stuff has been ruled out. Have you recently started any new supplement, medication, food? I ask because I had a similar experience when I had an allergic reaction to turmeric (after taking it for several weeks.) My left eye began pulsating and twitching- like it had a life of it's own. :blink: Once I stopped the turmeric, it stopped. Maybe try an OTC benadryl and see if helps???

The other idea, that it's a result of a strain also has some merit. Apparently, that's one manifestation of muscle exhaustion, but it's been a while....

Hope you find answers- let us know.

Hugs-

Julie

I had the intense neck pain on the left side when this all started for me.

I would say the 2nd month after I had chicken pox.

First the pain was over the heart area and hurt bad.

Then it moved up to my neck and scary cause it's right in the area of the carotid.

The pressure was so intense it felt like a mass was eventually going to pop out of my neck.

It last 3-4 weeks and then went away.

I've had that slight pain off and on but nothing like it was then the other day when I would get up I had intense pain there and almost had the feeling my bp shot up but when I checked it it seemed normal and the pain didn't last long.

I also read the account of one physician who had SVT's which is the heart beating really fast like a butterfly and your heart rate goes to 170-190?

He had an ablation and he no longer has the SVT's but now gets neck pressure instead.

In reading his story it made me go hmmm.