I Learned Something Today

songcanary

So I have been curious as to why am I salt loading when my serum sodium level is high normal. As an experiment, I stopped adding salt to my 2L water one week ago. I was OK until yesterday morning when I started feeling lightheaded again and the rest of the day was pretty much trash. Then today the same thing happened. I resumed the sodium and perked right up. That is what happened when I originally started fluid/salt loading---I was washing walls within two hours!

This drove me nuts as to why so I did some remedial research and read that dehydration and/or hypovolemia will cause an elevated sodium reading because it is high only relative to the total blood volume, and increasing hydration should correct it. I am like DUH. My most recent SS was before I was on this treatment and I was most certainly dehydrated at the time. I was later diagnosed as hypovolemic when I had my TTT. I just wonder what the reading would be now.

I am sharing this because it helps me to remember things if I write them, and also to help any newbies who might be wondering about this subject. I just have to re-read things so many times to understand them---major brain fog happening here! :o

Hi Godsgal,

In my case the symptoms were lightheadedness and major nausea. Traditionally, the blood volume test is done with injectable iodine, but I am allergic to iodine so they cancelled that one. My hemodynamic test was modified also by using Doppler echo and something called a '99mTc flow method' instead of the standard test. I still did have an injectable tracer but it wasn't iodine and they took tons of pix with a camera while I was on the table. My EP said she got all the info she needed with those tests, so my hypovolemia was diagnosed based on those results and my clinical symptoms. I will always wonder what my 'traditional' blood volume reading would have been. :huh:

It was just over the heart, as I recall. Does the traditional blood volume test scan the whole body? I am trying to remember all the details but the whole day has turned pretty much into a blur at this point. I had a heart MRI with contrast as well, in a different room.

I just ask because I had a test where I was injected with a dye, and then a small machine was placed over my chest area for about 15 minutes taking pictures. The doctor didn't mention anything about blood volume, but now I'm curious if he measured it and didn't mention it! :huh: I thought he was just getting a good "picture" of my heart.

I know what you mean. It sounds like you may have had the hemodynamic test, and blood volume is normally done with it. I went over my test results and it clearly states that the blood volume portion of the test was not done due to the iodine allergy. The nurse told me that my EP was especially good at interpreting echo results so I assume she diagnosed the hypovolemia based on that, the hemodynamic test and my history. But I'm not sure how. I wish I could answer this better! But there is no question that I am feeling much better after resuming salt water. I love my salt water :D .

• 1 month later...

Song canary, what do you mean by fluid/salt loading? Do you literally drink salt water? You are fortunate to have something "natural" help so much. I wish salt water would cure my dizziness!

It seems to me a lot of doctors are assuming we have low blood volume just based on symptoms. I was told by several Doctors to take Florinef, salt, water etc. to boost blood volume. Well once it was tested via nuclear medicine test my blood volume tested perfectly normal. So does that mean all those recommendations are out the window? It's all so confusing.

Song canary, what do you mean by fluid/salt loading? Do you literally drink salt water?

I'm also interested in this one :) What's your recipe for the salt water? I'm somehow not feeling so well even by thinking of drinking something salty..

I agree that's it's all confusing. I wish I had a better answer. But I drink 2L water with 1 teaspoon iodized sea salt added. That is the recipe I got from Cleveland Clinic. I can't taste the salt, and sometimes I add a little juice to flavor it, but it's usually just plain. Then I sip it all day long. I am very grateful that this works for me, at least it has so far.