Pregnant!

mvdula

I just found out I am pregnant with my 5th. We are very excited, as are our kids. I am not sure if I had POTS before my 4th pregnancy, during or after - but it manifested massively and got Dx when I slowed and stopped nursing my 4th. So, at least I think I know a little more what to expect this time. So far, just waves of fatigue from about lunchtime on - they come & go, but that is normal anyway. I feel like an old lady anyway w/ POTS, and pregnant at 35 seems ancient to me since 3 of mine were in my 20's and really were a breeze. The things I am nervous about are: the palps I got TONS of in the last trimester, the lots of headaches I am getting - migraines (Tylenol works tho :lol:), and mainly the birth, since I had a VERY bad reaction to the epidural last time - an experience I do NOT want to repeat. Also, nervous about cutting down the nursing.....but that is a bit away, and I guess I know how to handle things a bit better this time. I felt, and have always felt fantastic while nursing for the first 9 months or so - tons of energy, no symptoms, etc - so looking forward to that. Thank God my kids are a little older and can help me out this time!

First of all Congratulation! I can totally relate to the mixed emotions. I am new here and this is actually my first post. I too felt really great during and after my first pregnancy until I weaned her at around 8 months. Do you know why? Is it the shift in hormones that throws everything off? Or the shift in blood volume from pregnancy? I really can't figure out what happened. I hope to be able to have more as well. Don't want fear to get in the way of desires of my heart. Blessings to you during this time!!

Congratulations!

I was in a study on use of TENS units during labor for my first son 25 years ago. The tens unit definitely helps. I had my own TENS unit for the birth of my 15 year old and it was helpful. I used no drugs for either delivery however, I was in the hospital for 1 hr before the birth of my first son and 4 hours for the second. I now know my quick deliveries are from EDS - just letting you know the TENS didn't escalate delivery.

Might be worth thinking about a TENS instead of an epidural.

noreen

Congratulations!

I was in a study on use of TENS units during labor for my first son 25 years ago. The tens unit definitely helps. I had my own TENS unit for the birth of my 15 year old and it was helpful. I used no drugs for either delivery however, I was in the hospital for 1 hr before the birth of my first son and 4 hours for the second. I now know my quick deliveries are from EDS - just letting you know the TENS didn't escalate delivery.

Might be worth thinking about a TENS instead of an epidural.

noreen

Reen,

What is TENS? I have never heard of it? My deliveries have been ok and usually about 8 hours or so from beginning of real labor to birth. I have had one of them with no drugs - and it was great - BUT, I did not have POTS then and felt very in control with that one.

Maggie

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations- this is such wonderful news!

Reen,

What is TENS? I have never heard of it? My deliveries have been ok and usually about 8 hours or so from beginning of real labor to birth. I have had one of them with no drugs - and it was great - BUT, I did not have POTS then and felt very in control with that one.

Maggie

Maggie-

Sorry I somehow missed this. A TENS unit is a transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation device. The idea is disrupt the pain signal before it reaches the brain.

Here's a link to wiki-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TENS_unit

hope everything is going well,

noreen