Disability Plates To Make It To Work In The Morning

Ladies and Gents - I'm still job searching and interviewing. The market seems to be picking up as I've had more nibbles lately.

Many of the places I talk to are 'downtown' so I'd have to drive and park. I can't do the train in my current location because it is always full and if you can even get on, it's standing. That's much harder on me- crowded and standing in the morning would do me in. Driving is fine for me as I'm sitting down and that keeps my POTS under control.

I had disability plates for work in my prior state. I get the feeling that doctors where I live now don't like to give out placards. But. There are bad mornings for me with POTS (as you all know) that to make it to work, I need to park close to avoid a long walk. For my health, for my safety, to have an income, etc.

I don't use the placard when I don't have to. I rarely use it on errands (unless I'm feeling awful). It's for my safety and security to be able to make a living. I don't run errands in the morning...but you don't have a big choice when you have to be at work.

I'm overweight (working on it) and I really want to emphasize to my PCP I'm not lazy. Any tips on approaching this with him when I get a job (or close to getting a job - I know it takes a bit to get the placard)? I assume I could have him call my prior doctor in the other state to verify it is crucial in helping me work. Even if I don't have to always use it, it's there if I need it. POTS isn't predictable.

Thanks kindly.

Maybe it would be as simple as having your new doctor call your old doctor and get some verification for a placard. It would help keep your body at peak condition for your morning work(well, as peak as it's able to).

I'm starting to get over the "people wondering what's wrong with me". I have started carrying my fold out lawn chair to doctors' appt.s. I just open it up in the waiting room and the exam room. I can't sit straight up in a chair. I actually don't even notice people really looking that much, even though last year I would have felt embarrassed just thinking about standing out!

I agree, call your old doctor and ask to have the relevant info faxed to your new doctor. I don't recall exactly how many feet it is, somewhere between 20 and 100, that if you must stop and rest within that distance you meet the criteria for a plate or placard. No shame, I got my placard, but had to wait in line (squatting) at the DMV to get it :rolleyes:

The lawn chair is a good idea, but I finally got my doctor to prescribe a reclining wheelchair and my insurance covered part of it. You can imagine the looks I get when I'm wheeling my way back to my car, stand up, fold the chair and lift it into my trunk, then walk around and get in. But there's no way regular people would ever imagine someone having an invisible illness that allows them to do things, but only for 30 or 60 seconds at a time. Their dumbfounded expressions are not their fault.

The handicap definition includes us. We deserve to use the tools available to help make our lives just a bit easier.

Oh, Simmy, so understand that! I feel the same way when I used to ride the motorized carts in the store(can't now because I can't sit up straight). I would ride around, then stand up to get things off the shelves. And then park it and walk out the door to the car.

I guess I worry too much about what other people think because I can still remember when I would shop with my mom, back when I was "normal". If someone got out of their placard-hanging vehicle, and didn't look handicapped, she would make snide comments about them abusing the system. I did not share her feelings--I just figured they had a heart issue that kept them from doing too much.

CL, I would take that last paragraph you wrote and paraphrase it:

"I'm overweight (working on it) and I really want to emphasize to my PCP I'm not lazy. Any tips on approaching this with him when I get a job (or close to getting a job - I know it takes a bit to get the placard)? I assume I could have him call my prior doctor in the other state to verify it is crucial in helping me work. Even if I don't have to always use it, it's there if I need it. POTS isn't predictable."

Your last sentence is the key. Your illness isn't predictable, and when your symptoms are high and the weather is warm, it's a recipe for disaster if you're far from the office when you park your car.

Nina

I rarely use mine as well. The last time I fainted though it was in a parking lot and had my car been closer I may have made it! Good luck! It sounds like you got some good advice.

Brye