Rowing Machine Vs. Recumbent Bike

I am currently experiencing very little POTS/NCS symptoms(although still can't stand still without bottoming bp) and feel the need to excercise more than walking. For those of you that can excercise, would you recommend a rowing machine or a recumbent bike? I don't have experience with either but could afford a mid-range product.

The potsrecovery website (Dr. Levine's Protocol) suggests rowing machines are the best...

Thanks.

I would vote for the rowing machine, because it involves both your upper and lower body. I've read articles in health/exercise mags that say that if you could do only one exercise machine, the most effective one for your time is the rower. I got myself a treadmill finally, and I absolutely love having it in my home. Good luck, and tell us what you end up getting!

Cheers,

Jana

I vote for the bike. I was told by the Mayo clinic that the key is to build up leg muscles. I find doing things with my arms makes my symptoms worse. I was told not to lift heavy things. Rowing would make me pass out.

Maybe you can go somewhere and try the two out and compare.

When I started on the bike, I could only do a few minutes and now 1/2 hour on harder settings is no problem.

It would depend on if you have much upper body weakness or coat hanger pain. Rowing Machine is the best if you can handle it, but not everyone can. I'd try one out before buying one.

I am currently experiencing very little POTS/NCS symptoms(although still can't stand still without bottoming bp) and feel the need to excercise more than walking. For those of you that can excercise, would you recommend a rowing machine or a recumbent bike? I don't have experience with either but could afford a mid-range product.

The potsrecovery website (Dr. Levine's Protocol) suggests rowing machines are the best...

Thanks.

I'd go with the recumbent bike. There are recumbents which offer arm exercise at the same time. I've tried describing mine before but I googled images instead - http://www99.epinions.com/reviews/Stamina_...th_Tension_Band

This is very similar to mine. The thing with the bike is you can do 3 minutes and get off without feeling intimadated. I started 2 x day for 2 minutes and gradually built up. For me I think having strong legs muscles is important to be able to do squatting when necessary to avoid faints. I haven't put any tension on the arm poles when I use them but just getting your arms moving helps.

I am not necessarily recommending this particular one but am merely pointing out you could do both if you research a bit. I think you would feel more secure on a recumbent - at least that was true for me

Recumbant bike! That's my favorite part of my work out!! You can up the resistance and go for more leg strength or you can pedal faster for more cardio. I have a hand held yahtzee game I play while I"m biking. It makes the time go faster.

Brye

I vote that you pick which ever one you think you'll actually do regularly!!!!! Me, I have the bike, and I should use it more than I do, but I wouldn't use the rower b/c of it bothers the area of my back that I've had fused. Either way, you'll likely get a great workout and give yourself the opportunity to feel the best you can feel (or for me, what I refer to as my "normal"--which clearly is far from actually being normal :P )

Nina

I forgot to mention that if you have osteopenia/osteoporosis that a treadmill is the best option...and weight bearing exercise is going to help. I set mine at an incline and walk as fast as I can in my Skechers "Shape-Up" shoes. But, I have osteoporosis. Just an FYI to consider for those of you out there with bone issues.

Stay healthy! :)

Hi there,

I just got a rowing machine and I have to say I absolutely love, love, love it! I am not a big fan of treadmills, never was and although I was always looking for excuses to do aerobic training whenever I did it my choice was elliptical machine. I tried recumbent bikes in the past at the gym and I really liked it, but since my wallet is too thin for a good recumbent bike, I decided to go with a rowing machine. I bought used one, but in good condition and started with 5min training intervals. My daily goal is 20-30 min on it. At the moment I am feeling great and will take it from here.

potsgirl - do you like your shoes?

KeXia I have the MBT shoes, similar to shapeups, and I love them. If you go that route, be careful to only wear them for short periods at first or you're going to be sore.

Nina

YES! I absolutely love them, and they really feel like they're working my muscles more than regular tennis shoes. They also help me work on my balance. Highly recommended, and they're a lot more affordable than MBT's. I have Skecher's "Shape-ups". You can find them in stores or online at Amazon and other sites for $99.00.