Lol

Just got my medical records from mayo : two funny things..... the first I always get a kick out of because it is the very generic statement most doctor's who are evaluating a patient start off saying (mind you this was after the WRITTEN and dictated physical exam which included my resting heart rate of 170) --

"This is a pleasant, HEALTHY appearing 28 year old woman IN NO APPARENT DISTRESS" -- "healthy" and "no distress" but with a resting heart rate of 170.... LOL..... I have read that about a million times over the years and always laugh when I read it! I didn't know that a resting heart rate of 170 was "healthy". LOL!!!

The other statement off of my mayo report was that "because of this patient's symptoms, she went out on disability on December 29, 2010 .....2010!!!!!!!!!! LOL, ummmmmmmm, we haven't gotten there yet!!! hahaha.

just thought i'd give you guys and gals a laugh. ;o)

Funny! When Mack was really sick, the insurance co allowed him to have as much zofran as he needed. After nine months, they cut him off. When I asked why. I was told that Mackenzie should have had her baby by now. Try explaining THAT to your 13 y/o son :) . How much misinformation had to be in his medical charts for that to occur...

Well, perhaps in a you're really in a Star Trek episode, and in another temporal area you've gone out on disability in Dec of 2010 :)

Yes....but the ones I really hate are ..."she insists that something is wrong with her...but still no one can find it" This was written 1 month after I started complaining of symptoms by my primary care physician".

And I did have one lady take my hr it was 150....then I sat down and it went down to 100. So she said not to worry about it. It might be fun to start a book on stupid things the medical comunity has said to us thru the time we have been ill.

No doubt there are some great docs out there...and kudos to them...but there are some that really just want a paycheck and see ya later.

Erika

In my attempt to go back to work a while back one of my work notes the cardiologist wrote my diagnosis as Potts syndrome. Very different thing. We had to have that one corrected. It was still denied but at least the return to work was denied for the right diagnosis.

One of my other favorite quotes was "people your age don't die from heart rates in the 30's." This was before my Beta blocker was even started.

Thanks for sharing. You just have to laugh some times!!

Brye

LOL that's funny .. I remember taking my stress test reports back to my regular doctor and he noted that the patient is 29 nice lady with atypical symptoms likely related to anxiety LMAO .. And then she saw the results of my stress test he noted my baseline heart rate was 132 LOL.. That was before I even moved a foot on the treadmill. And my regular doctor said baseline heart rate is 132 that's not a baseline HR LOL. Even my regular doctor said yeah we have a tendency to blame things on anxiety and stress when we don't know what it is and laughed! That is scary but how true it is I am just surprised she actually admitted it to me :)

Mine always start with "pleasant, well-nourished 3* year old woman..." It kinda makes me wonder what they say when you aren't pleasant, sometimes I'm not! Do they mention that you're a witch? :) :)

One has me as having diabetes melitus and being well controlled on insulin (NEVER had that!), and my thyroid has been described in as many different ways as I have docs! I think that malpractice threats have taken the honesty from the medical communities, just not the mistakes.

LOL, thanks for sharing your stories!! Glad I'm not the only one who finds their medical records entertaining!

another story -- SOMEHOW a doctor I saw down in boston thought I "smoked pipes" -- I kid you not, this was in my record! I was LIVID. the record ended up getting sent to my EP doc and so I emailed my EP and told him "by the way, I HAVE POTS, I don't SMOKE it. LOL! He got a HUGE KICK out of that and then said "I believe you, but with all you've been through, I wouldn't hold it against you if you did"... HA HA.

Brye -- EVERY time I end up in the E.R., the ER physician always writes in my chart "POTTS SYNDROME" -- ugh! like you said, two totally different things!

mighty mouse -- SOOOO funny!!!

macks mom -- nevermind explaining the baby process to your 13 year old son (he'd GET IT), the REAL dilemma is how do you explain to the insurance company that male's cannot get pregnant? they WOULDN'T get it. LOL! AH the joy's of insurance companies!

firewatcher - I know! there have been time I haven't been all that pleasant and still I am referenced on PAPER as pleasant. lol. it's because it's a written document, doesn't really make the doctor look like a nice guy if he refers to his patient as a *************** fill in the blank but for sure they are thinking ****************** . i have heard some doctor's chew a patient out to other physicians or techs/nurses after the patient has left.... then they sit down to dictate their exam on the patient AND ..... "This is an EXTREMELY pleasant patient......." LOL.

"This is a pleasant, HEALTHY appearing 28 year old woman IN NO APPARENT DISTRESS but with a resting heart rate of 170...."

Angela - actually what the doctor is saying is that you:

a ) you look well, but are not well

b ) you are not anxious (ie your tachy is physical not psychological)

c ) you have a very abnormal resting heart rate

I would interpret that statement as validating your illness.

OK the future disability is a hoot - he could make a fortune as a psychic medium!!!

Flop

Mine always start with "pleasant, well-nourished 3* year old woman..." It kinda makes me wonder what they say when you aren't pleasant, sometimes I'm not! Do they mention that you're a witch? :P:blink:

Having read lots of charts and dictations for years and years, I can relate no end of hysterical things that have made their way into charts. With many places having their transcription out-sourced to India and other places, it really has gotten hilarious.

For the most part when you're a witch, they just say... "a 28 y/o female with such and such symptoms" and don't address your personality. Once in awhile you'll read that a patient is "agitated" or "somewhat belligerent". One of my collegues swears that on her very last day of working she's going to document when a patient is a "$#&@*#@ b-word" and not pussy-foot around with "nice" ways to document a difficult patient. If she does it, it'll be her last day of working whether or not she wants it to be. :)