Weird Jolt Sensation?

Nikki

This has always happened to me off and on..but more often recently. I can be sitting or laying completely still and I'll just feel a weird kind of jolt like feeling go through me. Sometimes I get really dizzy for a few seconds when it happens, but then it goes away. I literally jump when it happens. (Like when you're watching a movie and something scares you that you're not expecting? A 'jump' like that). It's really strange and hard to explain..I'm just wondering if this happens to anyone, or if anyone knows what I'm talking about. If so, does anyone know why this happens?

This has always happened to me off and on..but more often recently. I can be sitting or laying completely still and I'll just feel a weird kind of jolt like feeling go through me. Sometimes I get really dizzy for a few seconds when it happens, but then it goes away. I literally jump when it happens. (Like when you're watching a movie and something scares you that you're not expecting? A 'jump' like that). It's really strange and hard to explain..I'm just wondering if this happens to anyone, or if anyone knows what I'm talking about. If so, does anyone know why this happens?

YES, I get this a lot! I get it over and over again too. My legs will jolt or my upper body. It's a really horrible feeling and I have NO idea what causes it.

When I was at my worst I would get this kind of symptom frequently. It was similar to when I am about to fall asleep and then get that "twitch" that feels like you just missed a step and you jerk to try to stop yourself from falling. I think THAT form of it is normal, but when I was the most symptomatic with my flare, I would get that feeling but magnified by about 100 times. It truly felt like what you see a body do when they put those electric paddles on heart attack victims and their whole body jumps off the bed. I was wishing it meant I was getting to the point of being able to levitate in my yoga practice but of course it was much to jerky and violent to be that. :) Fortunately that particular symptom seems to be a much more rare occurence recently.

I get what I would call a brain-zap (not on any regular meds). Occassionally, when I am going to sleep (and a few other times), I'll get a zap kind of feeling....really feels like it's in my brain. I think I can actually feel it, hear it! and see it! Like a little bolt of lightning (flash) with the zzzz electrical sound in my head. Very split-second, not very long and I feel fine, but really weird. Anyone else get these....they seem more than a little odd to me.

I had a phase of myoclonic jerks for a while... usually while dozing at night but especially in the day. Was also having sever excessive daytime sleepiness and these jerks & mini-zaps were stronger when sleep would "grab me" suddenly in daytime. I kind of kicked a girlfriend a little once due to it (no it wasn't a subconscious motivation, it was neurological ;) During the worst of that period I had a couple real brain zaps (mild) and they're freaky but not a regular thing for me. Wasn't on any meds but it is said that antidepressants are one common cause of the zaps. I think my electrolytes, sugars, or other "regulatory" thing was off kilter and in hyper-sensitive mode. Was also having seizure or pseudoseizure-like stuff roughly around that period (which I've had months long phases of several times over many years). Have only had myoclonic phase a couple times and not lasting all that long (weeks). Myoclonic jerks while dozing off are considered medically harmless & normal... but I took mine as a subtle clue that something more was afoul since they timed with some other similar stuff.

I've gotten two distinct kinds. One kind was a "brain zap" from an SSRI withdrawal (and sometimes also from various med) - like an electrical shock in your head. But I think you're referring to the other kind. Where out of nowhere your whole body jerks/jumps. Right before this happens, I usually get a chill up and down my whole body for a second or two before the jolt and sometimes get dizzy right after for a few seconds. Very weird - but I don't know why it happens.

I also get myoclonic jerks, Erik. And the other day, while resting on the couch, all of a sudden my arms and legs just totally spazzed out. The electric shock sensation I get off and on.

I get the sudden chill for a couple of seconds before I have a 'jerking attack', too. My arm, leg, or all of the above suddenly go flying out. I'm pretty sure it's what's called a myoclonic seizure, stemming from the central nervous system.