Flop Living Up To Her Name!

flop

Hi everyone,

just wanted to let you know that I am lurking and reading your posts but can't reply as much as usual. I've had a bit of a strange few weeks starting with a dizzy episode whilst ice-skating on 4th February. That lead to a colles' fracture of my right wrist and a general anaesthetic to have it manipulated and pinned in place.

Unfortunately the GA and being in pain didn't agree too well with my POTS and triggered a flare of symptoms with rather a lot of syncopal episodes. One of my faints in hospital lead to a dislocated right shoulder.

Then I developed a weird rash with temperature, shortness of breath, joint pains and protein in my urine. The dermatologist wasn't worried about the rash but I did my usual internet self-diagnosis and want to rule out vasculitis. My GP agrees and has refered me to a rheumatologist, hopefully the tests will be clear but I'd rather know that there is nothing weird going on with my body (well nothing any more weird than POTS anyway!).

I managed to escape from the hospital after 2 weeks and have just been taking things easy at home.

On Monday I was at the JobCentre (trying to explain why the forms for my disability living allowance renewal claim were late) and ended up fainting again. I was taken to A&E by paramedics and given 3 litres of IV fluids (felt much better and my HR had come down from 140 to 90 after the fluids). I was allowed home and advised to rest.

Over the next couple of days my left wrist/thumb were getting more sore and I have impressive bruising on my wrist and right round the base of my thumb. Yesterday I gave in and went to see my GP - he suspected a fracture of the scaphoid bone and sent me to the local hospital. The first x-rays are clear but they still suspect a fracture so I have a cast on for 10 days then will have repeat x-rays.

So I'm rather stuck at the moment with both wrists in plaster casts!

Flop

{{{flop}}}

I'm so sorry you're going through such a rough time right now.

I feel guilty so much of what I write is paranoia that never amounts to anything just feels really creepy at the time just trying to get my head screwed on straight and you are going through tough times!!!

Hang in there and let us know how you're doing.

I do hope that you are over the fainting spells and don't break anything else.

Butterfly chasing season is coming soon!

lieze

Ooohh nooooo! Both wrists in plaster, not fun! :( Hope things start going your way SOON! Your story sort of reminded me of the time when I sprained my ankle while my wrist was still in plaster. I had to try and get about using just one crutch!

All these breaks, sprains and discolations though- poor you- I hope you feel much better very soon! xx

That's almost unbelievable- it's so awful. I am deeply sorry, dear Flop. I am sending hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery. GA really messes me up too. Take it easy and let yourself recover.

Are you typing with your toes :( ? I want a picture!

Julie

Flop-

What a tough time you've had. Hopefully, things will improve, no more incidents will occur, and you will recover quickly. At least you won't be falling on the ice any time soon.

l'm curious, too, how in the world you are typing. Mental images fail me and I am wondering if you've managed to get a program to dictate your posts into.

Wrist pain is horrible. I don't know how you are managing with toileting and stuff. The basics are so very difficult after wrist surgery.

Sending healing energy your way for a full complete and fast recovery.

Noreen

Oh ouch!! I hope you heal up very, very soon! I know that it's no fun having so many injuries going on at the same time, and it sounds like you have the start of a good exoskeleton going on... :lol: Again, get well soon, and I'll send some prayers your way to help speed that along.

Thanks for all the messages of support, it is wonderful to have somewhere where people understand and care (rather than just laughing at me). My typing is rather slow and being done with one finger on my iPod touch (easier to handle than my laptop).

Luckily being hypermobile (due to EDS) means that I can get myself dressed but I can't do simple things like make a cup of tea or a sandwich for myself.

I was given a fantastic stocking-donning aid when I broke the first wrist. It is called an Acti-Glide (in the UK you can get them on prescription from your GP). It is basically a special slide-sheet that laces into a cone with a long plastic pin. You put your foot inside and slide the stocking up over it, then pull out the pin and pull the sheet up your leg smoothing the stocking as you go. When I think of the years I have spent wrestling with compression stockings it is amazing that I can now put on 40mmHg compression myself with 2 broken wrists!!!

Flop

Hi flop ... so sorry your having a hard time .. it is frustrating enough with the symptoms of daily pots without having injuries to contend with as well ... best wishes for a fast recovery ... the stocking aid sounds good i will look into that, i have big problems with stocking, i had given up wearing them .....

tilly

Hi Janey, I live in Chester (North West England).

I learnt the hard way that my usual trick to deal with dizzy spells (clenching the muscles in the lower half of my body) is not a good idea when ice skating. It caused my legs to straighten which moved my balance point further back on my skates - my feet shot forwards from under me and bang down I went. Pity because I can tolerate being upright much more easily in the cold at the ice rink.

Flop

Well, if after all of this you're still wanting the benefit of exercising in the cold of the ice rink, might I suggest wrist guards? :) They would probably fit under mittens but I'm not sure about gloves.

It's great that you are able to help so many other people out with your well-informed insights even when you're so limited personally at the moment.

One silver lining of being hypermobile- that you can dress yourself even with your double casts. There are SOME benefits to this hypermobility stuff anyway. My husband always says, "You are the ONLY person I know who can put sunscreen on their entire back without needing any help."

Hope your healing process goes smoothly. So sorry you're in this predicament.