Birth Control Pills

nunntrio

I wanted to know of peoples experience with using BCP to stop your period. My symptom flare badly during my period and I just got a perscription for BCP to hopefully stop my periods. I am very nervous to try them. I am very sesitive to meds and am afraid of what taking hormones will do. But, I am also sick of being so effected by my periods. Has anyone been helped by these?

I wanted to know of peoples experience with using BCP to stop your period. My symptom flare badly during my period and I just got a perscription for BCP to hopefully stop my periods. I am very nervous to try them. I am very sesitive to meds and am afraid of what taking hormones will do. But, I am also sick of being so effected by my periods. Has anyone been helped by these?

Yes I have been helped and hurt. i ended up in the hospital for a week after taking YAZ. mayo clinic put me on kariva and I have done well with it.

Make sure that it is a monophasic pill- You want the level of hormone to be the same every day. Also i think the newer pills are more of a risk. make sure that you do not get a pill with any kind of diuretic.

With the right pill taken the right way I think you will do better. Good luck

I had the same problems with my symptoms getting worse during my period. I'm taking a monophasic pill that I'm very happy with - Reclipsen. I would definitely recommend them.

Cheers,

Jana

I have tried nearly every BCP for painful endometriosis. I finally found one (aviane) that I could tolerate without additional nausea. My doc thinks I got POTS from Depo-provera. I always thought he was a little nuts, but at my wits end I stopped the BCP last week and have felt my POTS improve (significant improvement of morning symptoms). I am now willing to put up with nearly unbearable pain for lesser POTS symptoms.

For me, the BCP made POTS worse. I would be careful.

Kits

POTS was worse during my periods, even on YAZ. I think it may be connected to the blood loss and hormone change. My OB/GYN now has me not finish the packet. I do not take the lasts days of pill that are a different color. I stop the packet before it's finished and start a new one. This keeps my body from shedding or bleeding. I noticed an increase in energy and improvement in symptoms that month.

This has worked great for over a year. This month problems have started. I've been shedding for three weeks and I'm having pre-stroke symptoms. It may not be connected to the pills but it seems logical. I also have endometriosis and was put on YAZ to help with the pain. I'm now looking into a different pill or a hysterectomy.

I took BCP with no break for years. Loved them. They evened out the hormones and the monthly POTS flairs and stopped the migraines, unless I went off them.

You know what works even better.....menopause. Love Menopause. Just can't say enough about it. Give me hot flashes over POTS flairs and migraines ANY DAY.

I seem to get more symptomatic during the second half of my cycle, right before my period. My doctor just prescribed a monophasic pill called Mononessa, which is a generic for Ortho-Cyclen. I am hoping this helps and doesn't cause bigger problems, as I am so sensitive to meds. Anyways, good luck to you. Please keep us posted!

I'm not taking a BCP right now but I have taken them a lot over the last 12 years. I took dianette for many years (it is now only available for 6 months due to it having a higher risk of DVT). More recently I have taken Yasmine, this does containe drosperinone (a weak diuretic) but it didn't seem to affect my fluid-balance (probably the fludro had a stronger effect so just over-rode the diuretic action).

I generally find that I am less symptomatic from POTS when on the pill. I would love to be able to take packs back-to-back (or leave out the 7 sugar pills) to avoid having a period but my body just won't allow me to do that. I start to bleed even when still taking the pills (usually a few days before the end of the pack) so I end up having a period even if I take them all the time. Because of this frequent breakthrough bleeding I have given up on the pill for now and am just having natural cycles but having to put up with worse POTS symptoms and horrid period pains.

Flop