Equine Therapy

joy

my doc mentioned this to me

I have ridden for years and used to jump cross country and hunter jumper

I managed to ride once after my RND therapy and before my latest AD flare

it went well

does anybodey else ride? I truly miss it, it has been a big part of my life for eight years and is my passion

Hi Joy,

I have a riding stable about four blocks from my house, and I used to ride when I was younger. About a month ago, I drove past the place and thought that it might be a good way to work on my balance and stability. Then I tried to ride my boyfriend's bike (I hadn't tried that since getting sick) and I was so dizzy and disoriented that I couldn't go more than a foot or two before putting the bike down. That made me rather leery of trying to ride horses again. Perhaps when I'm feeling better.

Let us know if it works for you, though. Best of luck!

Jana

I've ridden horses since I was about 12 even through college with a POTS diagnosis. It's inordinately expensive around here, which is the only mitigating factor in my not continuing. It helped strengthen my leg muscles and my balance which was great. I ride English. Even with the Ehlers-Danlos, riding was wonderful for me, though I do need a wider saddle to compensate for my sub-luxing hips.

I can't wait for when I have a real job, so I can get back to it and have my own horse someday. For me, it's been a godsend. It helps me both mentally and physically, though I do need someone to help me put a saddle on a taller horse.

Sara

I used to...

MISS it so much.. My family have horses. I have tryed a few times last couple of years. But since I pass out, the people around me is a bitt afraid when i do. Even when walking beside me, and the horse only walking..

And yes i have passed out a couple of times when on the horse, beside the horse etc etc..

I whant to go horseback riding the next time i visit my family (thay live some hours away..).. :blink:

I get dizzy riding the escalator. I'd love to ride a horse, but don't dare with this POTS.

I know what you mean, I hope that I can get my AD under control soon. I can hardly sit up many days. Very frustrating.

Flop: Keep your eyes out for more local and non show oriented barns. Mine is much more inexpensive to get lessons, and while not at ALL fancy facilities my trainer is highly respected in the area. Just beware of those who have no formal training, I've met some that would scare me to get lessons from with their off beat and incorrect ideas.

Casper: ugh not fun. I hope you can figure something out/you are able to improve your quality of life a little soon (we can hope together!)

Ive been riding since I was 3. When I got sick I had been riding 5 horses a day- eventually I got down to only riding one when i was in the dx period (4 months for POTS dx). Slowly over the past for yrs I have built back up and can do 5 again. I am lucky becuase I was/am a professional- so even tho it is sooo much harder then it was before POTS- its not like i have to learn how to do everything again. It is VERY benifical for both mind and body. My nuero actually encouraged the riding to build leg muscles. Of course she said you know the risks, but she knew I didnt have any intentions of quitting either. I hope you all are able to get up there someday soon! :-) .... Just grooming and being around it i find to be a super workout and great therapy!