B12 Deficiency -con't

Hey Everyone-

I posted here a while ago about a diagnosed B12 deficiency. Since then I've been taking 1000mcg B12 daily. I didn't notice much but recently decided, on a whim, to add Folic Acid 400mg. I talked with a friend of mine who is B12 deficient and she was also told she was folate deficient, so I figured it couldn't hurt to supplement. It's been about a month of doing both and I'm noticing that my energy is coming back (knock on wood) and a lot of the bruising I had is going away. I actually was on time for work for 4 out of 5 days this week - usually I'm late 4 of the 5 days. No side effects thus far, but I notice if I miss it for 2 days. Thought this little bit of good news might help some people out there - probably a good idea to supplement both if you are deficient in one.

Sara

To answer your questions -

The folic acid doesn't make me nauseous, but I take it with my biggest meal of the day, so there's plenty of food in the stomach to soften the blow. I tried other Vitamin B products (B complexes) and they made me very headachy and fluish, so I figured I'd just try one at a time.

I didn't notice a huge effect of the B12 by itself. My bruising started to go away, which was good, but there was almost no change with my energy levels. I needed the folic acid to feel better energy-wise.

I don't know if we need a lot of the vitamins or not. I personally think I have too fast gastric emptying (I eat almost constantly), hence the need to supplement with large doses of vitamins, but this hasn't been proven (and I'm too chicken to undergo the studies).

Sara