Cold And Sinus Medicine For Those With Pots?

I am on the verge of getting a sinus infection... though I am not quite ready to go for antibiotics (the side-effects are worse than being sick, and I only take them as a last resort), I was wondering what OTC remedies have helped others with POTS that doesn't cause such horrible side effects. I have been using a netti pot, which has helped some, but it isn't enough. I haven't taken any cold medicine since my POTS got really bad after my knee surgery, and I was wondering what everyone has taken that helps, but doesn't kick the POTS into high gear.

I cannot tolerate decongestants either, and unfortunately, I have quite a deviated septum from an old nose break that causes me a lot of sinus problems. In fact, I just learned that I may have to get it fixed (though it isn't noticeable) or get tubes in my ears because of chronic eustachian tube dysfunction. So when I have a sinus cold, I too am miserable.

One natural remedy that helps me is a tomato-garlic-hot sauce drink. I usually heat up a can of V8 tomato juice, chop up a clove, or two, of garlic, and add about a tablespoon of hot sauce and a splash of lemon juice. This drink was not enjoyable for me at first, but I'll tell you what, it sure gets things moving in the sinuses. I drink one almost everyday now, and have come to really love it. Even when I'm not at all clogged up, I'll have mucous running out of my nose after one of these babies.

My cardio told me that if I had to I could take the Coricidine products. They are made for BP patients. Mostly patients with high BP, but he said the ingredients that make it safe for them would make it safe for me too. The downside to them is that they are much more $ then reg OTC meds. For me though they do work. Dont make me feel too bad.

~Kelli

OK - I found a Nyquil Cough Syrup with:

# Dextromethorphan (15 mg/pill) (cough suppressant)

# Doxylamine succinate (6.25 mg/pill) (antihistamine/hypnotic)

I do not like Tylenol (it gives me a stomach ache) and the pharmacist said this is pretty much Nyquil without the Tylenol so I can take an Advil with it (which I prefer).

I ran the list through my drug interaction checker and it looks OK. It warns of more drowsiness since I take Zyrtec, but I won't be operating heavy machinery tonight. :)

I am still afraid to try Sudafed PE but if things don't clear out I might give it a go.

Is Coricidine over the counter?

I see Nyquil has a version without a decongestant so I might try that at night (I wake up coughing).

So, Mucinex helps get rid of all that awful clogging feeling? My head feels like it could burst!

Yes Coricidine is over the counter....at least it is here.

~Kelli

I've had sinusitis for at least a month now, and have tried every OTC drug I could. My allergist put me on Amoxicillin, 500 mg 3/day, which I've been taking now for 5 days, and it's still there! Errgh! Aren't allergies wonderful?