Heart Rate Watch???

I am currently looking for a heart rate watch, but I'm not sure what a good brand or style to get so I can better moniter my pulse rates, especially after standing. I'm looking for something less than $50, but am willing to spend up to $100 for one. So, who here has a heart rate watch and what type could you recommend for me to purchase?

I am currently looking for a heart rate watch, but I'm not sure what a good brand or style to get so I can better moniter my pulse rates, especially after standing. I'm looking for something less than $50, but am willing to spend up to $100 for one. So, who here has a heart rate watch and what type could you recommend for me to purchase?

I have a polar - I got it off amazon- it was less then $100- works well but it was less expensive b/c of the color (green)- I wanted pink but it was more money. I think polar is a good brand. Did you know they have a strap that goes around your chest? I thought they took your pulse on you wrist.

I have one I really like that I ordered on the internet off of Jonathans No excuse workout web site. You can probably Google it. I paid less than 50$ for it. I think there was a sale when I bought it for less than 40$. I didn't realize I had to wear a chest strap either but it's not uncomfortable. Actually I've noticed my HR"s are exactly the same as my watch on the work out equipment at the gym too. I'm wondering if they have the same signal or something. I've been meaing to ask that!

I found Jonathans sight through the fly lady sight. She's basically a life organizer on the internet. I have all these big goals ... organize my life, work out, 2010 is going to be a busy year!

Good luck!

Brye

I got my daughter a Timex that doesn't have the chest strap. It actually does not work well on either of us. I think the problem for us is that our wrists are rather tiny and the main watch part is so large, that it didn't seem to fit well on our wrists. I think it if fit better, there might have been a better connection. If you stopped and wet it underneath, it made a better connection and then worked maybe 30% of the time. But it was not one I would recommend. I think the ones with the chest strap may be more reliable.

I love the polar brand! they have warranties and are well known for being accurate. That being said most of the polar brand watches have fancy functions like calorie burning, personalized workouts, fitness tests etc that you may not care enough about to pay for. You can go to the polar site and it'll show all the functions on the watches in a chart so you can see if theres one you want. Then you can find it cheaper on the internet. Mine was $99 with lots of functions and a chest strap. I dont mind the chest strap at all. Typically chest straps are more accurate then the watch that tries to read through your wrist. And the polar watches send the hr info to a lot of exercise equipment that has the hr receiver function.

Good question! My EP told me to get one and I looked them up online last week, and there were just so many I didnt know what to choose. And the chest straps looks so uncomfortable, but I dont want to have to stop what Im doing to put my fingers on the watch plates or something goofy that I read. Kinda defeats the purpose I think.

~Kelli

Guest tearose

I've been using Polar for many many years. These just don't break! I send them in for new batteries and they send back a new strap that lasts another year or two! I love them. It is easy for those wearing a bra, to slip the chest strap under the bottom. I always try to get the cheapest one with the high and low alarm functions and it runs from $79-$99 at the Sports Authority. They do go on sale!

I put it on and forget about it! It actually "trained" me so well it got to the point I just knew my heartrate without even looking...kinda neat and weird. Anyway, it helped me learn to live in a better heartrate zone without triggering SVT's or arrhythmia's. Some people say they became anxious with one but it actually did the reverse for me. It gave me peace of mind that I can go about my day and activities and not have to think about my heart.

tearose

Does anyone know if you can wear a Polar with a chest strap if you have a pacemaker? I got one for Christmas, but am worried about using it until the pacer people check it out first. Thanks!

I am curious, for those of you who were told by a dr to have a heart rate monitor--what is the reason. When I was first diagnosed (and even prior to) drs told me to stop paying so much attention to my heart rate (I was documenting the changes that I noticed in an attempt to get diagnosed). I was told to "throw away" the bp and hr measuring devices. My EP remains very unconcerned about how high my hr gets.

Guest tearose

Good question MomtoG,

It was in my early diagnosis days when we were trying to see how and if I would be able to manage SVT's and arrhythmia's and hyperadrenergic floods without medication. I was deadly sick on BB's and so we needed to see if behavior modifications would be a suitable treatment plan. By using the monitor I clearly saw my heartrate go from 110 walking to 159 or higher standing and clearly higher going up stairs. I knew I was short of breath going up stairs but until my monitor I never realized my heart really struggled on the stairs and for 20 minutes after finishing the stairs. I was noticing that if my heart rate got to 160 then I was MORE likely to trigger the SVT. If I managed to stay under 160, I did not trigger the SVT. I also see the difference my compression makes on my heartrate.

So to summarize; it helped me and my docs see how my heart was responding to activities and make immediate changes to avoid POTS symptom flares or setbacks. It made me learn first hand the early warning signs and avoid problems. It is an amazing ability. I also use my monitor sometimes when meditating.

This is a great topic, I have been thinking of getting one since I was diagnosed with NCS recently. I would prefer not to wear the chest strap, but am assuming those are much more accurate. Does anyone know if there is an accurate one without the chest strap? Are they water proof? My worst episodes are in the shower and would like to try wearing it in the shower. I see the prices range dramatically. Does anyone know if the higher priced ones are more accurate?

Thanks,

Lance