Exercise?

Nikki

Before I got sick I used to love working out. In fact, I was probably a little obsessive with it. I would do 4 miles on the treadmill each day, plus a workout dvd. To me it was just so much fun. I really liked the dancing/kick boxing workouts. My favorite was Turbo Jam if anyone has ever heard of that.

My worst symptom with POTS is dizziness. I know I would be on the floor if I attempted doing that kind of stuff anymore but lately I've been feeling a bit better. The dizziness comes and goes a lot..Most days are usually a struggle but since I've been feeling a little better I have it in my head that I would really like to start exercising again. Now, I know I can't go crazy with it like I used to, but I think it would be good for me to a least do something again. Like I said, workouts always just made me feel really good once I was finished and I miss that feeling. Since it has been awhile though, I'm wondering if anyone else on here does any sort of light workouts that they could share with me? I do have yoga and pilates dvds but I would like doing something more aerobic.

I don't know how long this feeling will last. I could wake up tomorrow, feel horrible and then my whole exercise plan will go out the window..but in the hopes that that doesn't happen, any advice, tips or suggestions for me would really be appreciated. :)

When I am well enough I do quite a lot of Tai Chi and Qi-gong. The Qi-gong exercises in my advanced class are pretty active so really get my heart rate up.

When I am not up to going to Tai Chi class (haven't been able to go for several months) I find that walking is quite good aerobic exercise for me. I have also recently started going ice skating - I find that the cold temperature at the rink makes my blood vessels contract so I can manage to skate for 20-30 mins where I could only walk for 5-10 mins. I got my first pair of ice skates for Christmas and am looking forwards to trying them out next week.

Flop

You could join our Yahoo DYSfitness group!! It's just getting started and we've been working on setting our goals! I think it's going to be a good group to share our accomplishments and setbacks with a very understanding group of people!!

I've been working on increasing my activity and so far it's been going fairly well! I'm a little frustrated though because when I stop working out I have such horrible brain fog. The best thing I can compare it to is a drunk feeling! So far though I'm just proud I haven't fallen off the equipment!!!

Hope you can join us!!

Brye

I am sooo jealous of you POTSies that are able to exercise! I tried swimming after my doctor recommended it, I did great in the water but after swimming for 20 minutes I had to sit down for at least an hour after I got out of the pool before I was able to stand... I decided it wasn't worth it. I was going to get a recumbent bike but I tried it in the store and could not even handle biking for one minute...I have also tried a beginner Pilates DVD and again had no luck. It *****, I was never very athletic in my past healthy life but I did jog and go to the gym and I miss that so so so much. I know that in a way I am lucky that after 5 years of doing zero exercise that I have not gained a ton of weight but between all of meds and being so sedentary I have gained about 20 pounds (I think getting older has played a part too), I just feel really mushy! I would love to just be able to be more toned and lose a few pounds. Sorry I just needed to whine for a second, I pledge that if I ever get healthy enough I am going to be an exercise feign!

I also have gotten squishy. I would like to lose about 15 lbs. Sadly after a lifetime of eating like a horse... I joined an online program where you keep track of points.

I have to face the fact that I can't really exercise to lose weight. I really have to eat less. It stinks!

I try to walk. Even though it's very hard, I walk as much as I can, when I can. At work, at home, and with small rest breaks. I eat many small meals and I avoid massive sweets, and I make sure I only get what I'm supposed to in calories in a day. It's about balance and only doing what my body can take. And so far I hit my target and stayed around it through the holidays. :3

I don't think I can get any lower than 155lbs, because at my body size and height it wouldn't be healthy. And I feel pretty good at this size. Even if the CDC thinks -LOL- I should be 120lbs. I've never seen that...and I doubt I could be that without falling over.

I am sooo jealous of you POTSies that are able to exercise! I tried swimming after my doctor recommended it, I did great in the water but after swimming for 20 minutes I had to sit down for at least an hour after I got out of the pool before I was able to stand... I decided it wasn't worth it. I was going to get a recumbent bike but I tried it in the store and could not even handle biking for one minute...I have also tried a beginner Pilates DVD and again had no luck. It *****, I was never very athletic in my past healthy life but I did jog and go to the gym and I miss that so so so much. I know that in a way I am lucky that after 5 years of doing zero exercise that I have not gained a ton of weight but between all of meds and being so sedentary I have gained about 20 pounds (I think getting older has played a part too), I just feel really mushy! I would love to just be able to be more toned and lose a few pounds. Sorry I just needed to whine for a second, I pledge that if I ever get healthy enough I am going to be an exercise feign!

I tried swimming after my dr suggested it too. Being in the water and swimming felt wonderful!!!! But because it felt so good to have all that water pressure on my circulatory system I swam for 25 mins and was half dead after I got out of the pool. I think I about slept for 3 days straight. So like you I looked into a recumbent bike. I could only do about 15 strokes of the pedals but I bought it and worked up to 20 mins over a few months. An exercise feign sounds like a high goal. Join the yahoo group and start with a small goal.

I wish I would have exercised more before POTS so I wouldn't be so concerned with it now. Its hard to handle!

I am fluffier than I want to be, but I think I found what will work.

I got a Wii for christmas and it is WONDERFUL!

I can sit down and rest when I want and if that is 2 minutes in then whatever! There are lots of balancing exercises which are definately working so far.

The only part is that there are alot of Yoga exercises that are not exactly POTS friendly. Too much standing! LOL! But it strengthens legs and core and those are great areas to build strength in order to get our blood going to right direction.

...although dizziness turns the Wii board into the Whoa board!

But, aside from my laptop, it is the most POTS perfect techno thing I have experienced. Definately a great gift!

Kits

Is anyone else watching "The Bachelor"? Wow! Some of those girls are SCARY! Run Bachelor, Run!

LOL. I second the Wii!

I think the problem with swimming is that because it feels so easy we overdo. Give swimming a try, but stop after a couple of laps and then wait and see how you feel the next day.

I think the problem with swimming is that because it feels so easy we overdo. Give swimming a try, but stop after a couple of laps and then wait and see how you feel the next day.

Swimming is great for helping constrict my blood vessels and get the pooling under control, but really tough on my heart. I think it's all the breath holding that does me in sometimes. I can go for a long time on the recumbent bike or inclined treadmill at a good speed, but swimming for only 10 minutes sends my heart into flip flopping overdrive.

Guest tearose

Wish I could sustain time in water. After about 15 minutes I am in pain. The cold water and pressure against my skin causes terrible neurapathy and my hands start turning blue.

I actually considered buying a wet suit. Then I remembered how I shake and shiver getting in and out of the shower too...it is all too much of a strain.

I do better with temperature controlled environments for exercise.

I will definitely look for the Yahoo group and I already requested to join the Facebook one. :) In the past week I have done 20 minutes of pilates and I just finished doing a 10 minute standing ab routine. I found a few free exercise things On Demand on TV. It's good because most of them are short..I try to aim for 20 minutes. Right now if I do the longer ones I make sure it's one where most of it is spent laying down, which means a lot of leg exercises - which will hopefully help with blood flow! It's hard because I was so used to doing an hour or so everyday..Now I need to push myself to do 20 minutes lol. At least it's something though, and I have to keep telling myself that.