Pretty Offended

delphicdragon

I'm sitting here today getting my IV saline (yeah for internet in the infusion room). Wanted to share a story from this morning.

I drove in today and I have a handicapped sticker for my car. In order to get into the hospital area handicapped parking you need to go through a guard station. I have NEVER had a problem getting through. Today, the guard had the gall to ask if I "stole my grandmother's handicap sticker!!" :blink::P:blink: Excuse me! Believe me, I hate using the sticker, but I need it!

Well, I reported it immediately to the receptionist at the desk and filed a formal complaint with security. He's been given a written warning and a two day suspension. I feel good honestly. It's one thing to take this crud from those in society, but when you work at a hospital, come on!! I feel good for standing up for myself too.

Now here's hoping the saline will help. I've had 200ml thus far and I can feel the brain fog clearing. :P

Sara

Sara good for you for saying something. Its not their job to question who needs a sticker and who doesnt. Maybe his 2 day suspension will give him time to think about what an insensitive jerk he was :P

~Kelli

Kudos girlie!!!! Until someone develops x-ray vision, there's now way to just look at the outside of person and determine their level of functioning...certainly if you had an obvious deformity they're would be no question about the sticker... but for goodness sake, if you have it, you are entitled to USE IT.

Glad you spoke up for yourself.

It makes me so mad when people in authority question our need for disability badges. It is bad enough some of the looks you get from members of the public. I know that they probably want to check that you are entitled to special parking but that wasn't the way to ask!

A much better way was what happened to me last week - as I pulled into a disabled bay the parking attendant strolled over and asked if I had a badge. I got my blue badge out and he appologetically asked me to show him the photo on the back to confirm it was my badge. He then offered to help me out of the car and explained that they were on a crack-down to prevent abuse of disabled parking bays and to make sure they were free for people like me who need them. He made a thorough check but was really nice and polite about it.

Sorry your experience was so different but way to go for reporting him - no way should a member of staff speak to you like that!

Flop

Good for you! I hope this guy figures it out................. :)

I don't think any of us want these handicap stickers, but it can mean the difference betreen us getting out or not. On hot days it really helps. On cold days too because my body can't adjust to temperature extremes, and my POTS will crash quickly.

Maxine :0)

People are thoughtless...unless they have experienced something (altho it is no exccuse)..however the thing that really irritates me are the people that DO use their mothers handicapped parking badges and have absolutaely no regard for the fact that someone who is handicapped will not be able to park there. Moreover the folks that park in the handicapped spot with NO badge claiming there are no other spots and they will just be a minute etc.. Now I have been known to approach them myself!!

Flop, that's the way it *should* happen--I'd be more than happy to show my picture ID if it meant I'd get the parking spot that I require.

with the joke about "at least you don't look sick"...made me think about what I tell new doctors when I'm in their office for the first time... "I come in a cute little package that looks all nice on the outside, but is a complete mess on the inside"... I coined that after one of my new doctors last month said after reading my file and asking a few questions "wow, you're a mess".

Nina

I can relate.... I haven't had a problem with an authority like a security guard but have had many 'encounters' with regular people giving me heck for using a handicapped spot. Especially when I was in my 20's. People just see a young person and automatically assume you're not supposed to be disabled. I had one man come up to the car screaming and cursing at me....he was very frightening actually..... my husband told him I was disabled, showed him my parking permit and even that wasn't enough to satisfy him. It was only when we showed him my wheelchair in the back of the car that he stopped yelling at us. I still get dirty looks on a regular basis especially since I only use a cane now and not a wheelchair but at least noone else has been as aggressive as this man was.

I'm all for people standing up against disabled parking abuses but, as we potsies know, some disabilities are invisible so a person can't just make assumptions....

sorry this happened to you but I'm glad you stood up for yourself.... hopefully this security guard will share this lesson with others...