Freezing Cold Pots Attack

Brye

This eve I was out with friends and when I left the place we were eating it was 18 degrees out. I think I had one of my worse POTS attacks ever. My whole body was shaking uncontrollably. I wasn't outside that long but I had a hard time driving home. Uncontrollable shaking, chest tightness, trouble taking a deep breaths! It made me so thankful to be living in the south where this weather doesn't occur all that often. Northerners ... how do you do it? I didn't even have to scrape off any snow and I thought I was going to turn into an icicle!! Apparently cold weather and POTS don't go well together!!

Brye

i know many pots people have to strugle whit being to hot . for me the cold have always been the worse.ofcourse hot summers days har hard for me, but we dont have to many really hot days.

So i am greatfull for my heat blanket in bed etc etc.. And if i gett to cold, that is very bad pots wise..

I'm one of those people who can't stand either the heat or the cold. If only I could live in a place where the temp stayed about 75 degrees all year long! I react to both...I can only tolerate the heat for a very short period before I can't breathe and feel like I'm going to faint, but the cold makes the toes, fingers, and nose sooo cold I have to take a hot bath to finally warm back up. I think I've always been that way....First I lived in Iowa (freezing!) now I'm in Arizona (major heat!). What's wrong with this picture?

Cheers,

Jana

I have this problem several times lately...we live in the north and it's very cold now. I can't stop the shaking once it starts and sometimes it leads to muscle cramps and spasms. We have a heating pad that I put on to get me through these spells but I'm exhausted afterwards and the pain can be intense. Have to be careful because too much heat causes the fainting and etc. My heart goes out to you and I hope that you can stay warm!

Firewatcher ... panic mode sums it up! I really had to focus and try to take deep breaths to keep myself from passing out!! Where should we all live? Not too hot or too cold ... California maybe! Too expensive I think. Thanks for all the responses!!!

Brye

I love the cold. I have been outside in the cold dealing with snow and putting water on our ice rink, yesterday and today for hours. It is 1 degree out. I feel my best in the cold. In fact, I was sweating when I was outside.

It can be hard for me to readjust to being inside but that might be partly due to the change of activity level. I sometimes take an long warm shower to get my body temp back to normal.

I am also dealing with hot flashes and man, being outside is such a treat when those happen.

I can't deal with the heat for more than a few minutes. And by heat, I mean anything above 75 degrees.

Erik and Elfie ... Good choices ... there's probably a reason those are both expensive places to live I guess.

Jan ... you are living in the right place for you! I grew up in WI loved playing in the snow, skiing, and ice skating. I've become a southern wimp I guess!! Enjoy the snow and cold!!! I'm hibernating until Sunday. It's supposed to warm up by then!

Brye

I've got to admit, that living in Colorado for the past three years has been hard. It is much harder for me to stay warm in cold weather than people who don't have POTS. Over the last week we have been going into negative temperatures every night. I've been spending a lot of time indoors, which can be hard. When it's all said it done, I think I did better in the warmer climates I've lived in in the past. I shiver a lot, but sleeping with a heating blanket helps somewhat. The hardest thing is when people tell me that if I just weighed more I would be fine and my toes and hands wouldn't get so cold... :)

Though I answered "San Diego", I'm in Hawaii... but alas I'm the heat-intolerant sort at most times. Woe is me, right? :) One thing, if you just travel a short distance, especially mauka or makai (up-volcano or down-to-sea), you are in a totally new climate so if you need "moderate" it is potentially manageable here. I think allergens are tame... except asthma from the volcano in some spots (SO2 bad). :huh:

If coldies like the cold... I'm a coldie. If hotties like the hot... Hawaii is a great place for them. Shutes. There are choke hotties out here already, doh' brahdah. No good for da tachycardia issues. B):)

I can feel my "sympathy score" going down as I write this on a thread about cold intolerance while dropping a lame pun in faux pigeon amid a forum for a condition with 5+:1 female:male ratio... somebody save me from myself, unplug my keyboard... oh well... all in good fun, right frozen ladies :) "Cold hands, warm heart" right??? I hope!?! :)

• 12 years later...
On 12/10/2009 at 11:15 AM, tjanzing said:

I have this problem several times lately...we live in the north and it's very cold now. I can't stop the shaking once it starts and sometimes it leads to muscle cramps and spasms. We have a heating pad that I put on to get me through these spells but I'm exhausted afterwards and the pain can be intense. Have to be careful because too much heat causes the fainting and etc. My heart goes out to you and I hope that you can stay warm!

I have these and felt relief after starting micronized progesterone, before that a slight change in temperature would cause these freezing attacks. Did you ever figure out what was going on?