Surgery To Remove Gall Bladder Tomorrow - Finally!

daisy

Well, tomorrow's the day! After almost three months of pain and 15 pound weight loss, I am finally getting this sucker yanked. I have had so many surgeries in the last few years, I shouldn't be concerned but for some reason I am about this one. I guess my biggest concern is that my POTS and arrythmias have really been acting up the last several weeks and I want them to stay stable....don't want to get worse for the holidays! I am also concerned because I have been reading that in a rather large percentage of patients who have gb removal without stones, they are still symptomatic because the problem may have been the bile duct or something related. But, my ejection fraction is only 17% and I feel fine unless I eat too much fat.....then powie - a major attack. So, I am praying this will resolve the problem. Surgeon hopes to do it laparoscopy but because I've had so many previous surgeries, he may have to do it open (ugghgh, I hope not!).

Will be glad when tomorrow is behind me - hoping to be well enough to eat Christmas cookies! <_<

Daisy,

I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago and I just want to tell you to be informed about the way things will work after your surgery. They told me that I would need to watch what I ate (not a lot of fatty-hard to digest foods) for about 6 weeks and that was it! I have never been the same since. A year after the surgery I became lactose intolerant. This happened to my Mom too. Dairy products are hard to digest. And big fatty meals....forgetta about it! It's like having my own free Zenical! LOL! I recently saw the nutritionist guy and he immediately started me on bile salts to help digest fats. I'm just saying to really look into what to expect afterward because they didn't tell me anything but I needed to have it out or it was going to be VERY bad (stone stuck on duct or something like that) so I did it! I will say that you will feel better not having those attacks....those were the worst....next to having a kidney stone! :P

KC

Daisy,

Good luck with your surgery. It's not bad, but expect to be pretty sore afterwards for a week or more. I couldn't do sit-ups for 6 weeks after surgery, and a lot of the food I had looked forward to eating made me very sick. Just take it slowly, and introduce small amounts of the foods that you used to eat into your diet over time. Everyone is different, but sometimes it can take months before your digestive track it back to normal. Not trying to freak you out - just want you to be aware so you don't suffer the consequences - like I did!

You'll do fine and will be so much happier without that pain.

Cheers,

Jana

Thanks everyone - surgery went well but I am very sore. The other thing I wasn't expecting is to feel so nauseous every time i eat - and all I've had is toast, jello and some soup. I read that sometimes people get worse after the surgery but I guess I have to give it time. I hope I didn't go through this for nothing!! If I lose much more weight, I'll blow away. I was irritated because all day in the hospital yesterday I was supposed to be getting fluids and my IV had clogged and I didn't get any. So, I would start to black out when I stood and I am still having trouble getting my bp up even though I'm home and salt loading and drinking tons of fluids.

For those of you who have had you gb out, were you nauseous for awhile after? I haven't actually vomited but have felt very close...potsgirl, I know you told me to be cautious and I haven't eaten hardly anything with any fat at all but I wasn't expecting this....blech!

Dear Daisy,

Yes, I was very nauseous after the surgery and for at least a week after....it slowly got better, but I was very careful about which foods I ate for a good two weeks, and I would get hit with nausea/diarrhea for almost 6 months sporadically after the surgery. It does get better, it just takes a long time for most people. My doctor had warned me that I might have problems like these for quite a while, because she still would have bad bouts between 6-12 months after the operation. Not ALL people react this strongly, though. Some breeze through it more quickly, but I would expect to be sore for about 2 weeks, and introduce new foods back into your diet very slowly.

I hope you're feeling better soon! You can always PM me if you'd like.

Jana

Thanks everyone - surgery went well but I am very sore. The other thing I wasn't expecting is to feel so nauseous every time i eat - and all I've had is toast, jello and some soup. I read that sometimes people get worse after the surgery but I guess I have to give it time. I hope I didn't go through this for nothing!! If I lose much more weight, I'll blow away. I was irritated because all day in the hospital yesterday I was supposed to be getting fluids and my IV had clogged and I didn't get any. So, I would start to black out when I stood and I am still having trouble getting my bp up even though I'm home and salt loading and drinking tons of fluids.

For those of you who have had you gb out, were you nauseous for awhile after? I haven't actually vomited but have felt very close...potsgirl, I know you told me to be cautious and I haven't eaten hardly anything with any fat at all but I wasn't expecting this....blech!

Oh Dear, Daisy-

This also happened to me and lasted about a year. In retrospect I wondered if it was the anesthesia that set this off. I developed severe gastroparesis following my gallbladder removal. I was repeatedly hospitalized because My GI tract froze and I couldn't eat anything or (sorry- this is gross!) poop. My dysautonomia symptoms also flared big time. Tiny pediatric doses of liquid erythromycin kicked my GI tract back to working order- S-L-O-W-L-Y. This med is very benign (if you aren't allergic) and good GI should let you try without any testing. I also had to take 2-3 doses of miralax a day (and still do!) to kick start the back-end.

Low fat, low fiber. white food- rice, bread, pasta, mushy vegs, low fat meats.

I also had to take florinef during this period, my BP was so low. It helped with that, energy, and appetite. So frustrating when the surgery is supposed to resolve things and they continue. The PAIN ended for me, but the nausea was relentless. These are early days still, Daisy. Hopefully you won't follow my same pitiful recovery route :)

Sending healing thoughts-

Julie

I'm glad everything went well for you Daisy, and I hope you nausea passes for you quickly. I'm never one to get this way much---(knock on wood)----this is surprising considering I have such slow bowels & constant bloat. Once in a while I wake up this way in the middle of the night.

You won't believe this, but the last time I vomited was in 2002 after my cervical spine surgery. The anesthesia made me sick, and after I got sick I felt like a million bucks----well almost. I'm afriad to get sick like that again because coughing, straining, or any pressure of any kind near my neck and cranial area causes lots of problems, more pain, and worsens my instability. That enlarged vertebral artery on the right scares me to--- :o .

I wish you speedy healing, and praying for NO COMPLICATIONS.... :)

BIG HUG

Maxine :0)

Daisy, Hope you're feeling better. My DH has a friend that had his GB removed & said he stopped on the way home from surgery & ate a hot dog. Another guy told me had a HB with onions on the way home. I don't know if I believe that or not but swear it's true. I can't eat that junk now.

Did your dr tell you to take bile salts now that you don't have a GB?