Waking Up, Heart Pounding

Stormie74

I keep waking up at night with my heart pounding and feeling like I can't breathe. What would cause that? I don't normally have these symptoms during the day. How can a person be sleeping soundly and then have everything go wacky like that?

Caron

Hi Caron,

I had that when this first started happening to me. I would wake up like every hour and half! It was horrible! It slowly started to reduce and then it was only at like 4:30am on the dot for a long time. I wake up with a high heart rate everyday but it doesnt seem to bother me as much....it's like my body is used to it now or that part of my nervous system is able to compensate better. This is so complicated at times. I believe mine is due to low blood pressure. Your blood pressure is supposed to be the lowest at night so maybe the heart starts to compensate by pumping faster and you end up waking up from it. All I know is I pray I dont go back to that because the lack of sleep was killing me....I get very symptomatic when I dont get enough rest! Could you possible have sleep apnea? The doctors kept asking me that in the beginning. Just a thought! I really hope you get to feeling better....I know how taxing this can be on a gal! :-)

KC

Could you possible have sleep apnea? The doctors kept asking me that in the beginning. Just a thought! I really hope you get to feeling better....I know how taxing this can be on a gal! :-)

KC

KC, I had a sleep study recently. No sleep apnea. :blink:

I like to eat chips or peanut butter crackers before bed, that usually helps me get throughout the night. Not sure why, but those two things stop me from waking up like that, as well as having awful acid reflux (which i've been told is heart related).

This was one of my first symptoms. I'd be sound asleep and then woken up by my heart running like a freight train for apparently no reason. My POTS doc likes to say 'that's what puts the P in POTS'. While many POTSies would get tachy going from sitting to standing, I would get it just from changing positions while sleeping. It got so that I actually had to sleep with one eye open to remain in one position and not roll over/around during the night to get any kind of sleep at all.