If You Have Had A Brain Scan

runningshoe

Hello

A recent brain scan - spect scan, showed that I have diminished blood flow to the brain. DUH! But seriously, I was lying down during the test and not feeling potsy so I wonder if this is pots related or possibly something else (being worked up for lyme). So I was wondering if anyone else had this test and what their results were.

Thanks

I had an MRI back in April, which uncovered a few small lesions. Here are some excerpts:

"Foci of signal hyperintenity in the left optic radiations, right calcar avis. Bilateral posterior periventricular hyperintensity. Findings are worrysome for demyelinating process, which may correlate with the provided history of facial numbness".

Conclusion: "Multiple supratentorial hyperintense foci which are worrysome for demyelinating process"

I'm not sure if / how this relates to the autonomic issues...still trying to figure it out!

I would love to know more about a 'spect scan' and if people with pacers can have one. My last MRI, about 4 years ago, also showed 'an abnormal amount of ischemic lesions' and what looks like what possibly may have been a small stroke. I would give anything to have another MRI - or if possible, a spect scan to see how these lesions have progressed. I with you, Jan, knowing we have them, and that they're probably due to lack of blood flow to our brains, isn't very comforting!

Good luck with your tests, Lina.

Cheers,

Jana

Some years back when they thought Michael had a seizure disorder, they did numerous scans - both the pet and spect showed diminished blood flow to certain parts of his brain. At the time, they saw that as confirmation of the location of his so-called seizure disorder.

When we mentioned this to the Mayo docs, they were not surprised, saying that POTS creates a sort of physiological shunting of blood flow to the brain. Assume that's the mechanism behind the brain fog that so many of you experience.

I have had 2 SPECT scans and each showed hypoperfusion (low blood flow) in certain areas of my brain. They were both done before I got my diagnosis of POTS. The first was done in the early 1990's and the other in 2005. Oddly, each showed hypoperfusion in different areas of my brain. Because I had been in a car accident as a child the doctor guessed they were probably the result of a mild brain injury. Now that I know about POTS I wonder if they are really just from that.

I have also had several MRI's that showed mulitple "foci of increased T2 intensity" which basically means lesions or spots on my brain. They were ruled out as MS lesions. The radiologists report does say that these lesions can have various causes including infection or ischemia (low blood supply)

I went to a doctor familiar with Lyme and he said the particular location of these low blood flow areas didn't really fit the pattern for Lyme either. Its a mystery .....

Its interesting that a bunch of us have had the same experience...... don't you just love the perplexed 'deer in headlights' look the docs have when they can't figure us out?!?