Why Does Clothes Shopping Not Count As Exercise?

firewatcher

OK, My 20th High School reunion is coming up in three weeks! :o (Holy smokes! I'm OLD!) Sooooo, I need a dress. Now, I have not really bought a dress since before my wedding 14 years ago. (Not technically accurate since I bought a black dress for my Grandfather's funeral.) Through a series of good/bad fortunate events I have managed to stay fairly slim and since I've been reversing my "deconditioning" for the last year, I'm in decent-looking shape. Also, since I can't stand to have anyone touch my head due to spotty allodynia, I have not had a hair cut in 2 years; so my hair is now the same length as it was in high school. The stage was set, so I decided today would be a good day to go dress shopping: well rested because of the time-change and doubled up on the compression with stockings and a spanx-like thigh squeezy-pants. I managed to get to two stores. Shopping is HARD! All the standing and looking through racks and then the trying on and getting it off with your arms above your head...I'm exhausted! I honestly feel better after an hour of Pilates than two of shopping! The lights were too bright, the stores too crowded and then the looking....I ended up dizzy and slurring, but hey they took my credit card anyway! :P

Thank God for escalators and helpful sales-people! I managed to find four dresses, three of which will be returned. I guess I'm lucky that I found anything at all since I am so NOT fashionable!

I sooooo agree- clothes shopping wears me out. You know I exercise a lot, but SHOPPING is equal to at LEAST a 50 minute 10K, which would actually make me feel exhilarated, not exhausted- like shopping.

Go for something that makes you feel comfortable- not too different from your "normal" self. I think sexy is feeling comfortable in your own skin & something TOO different won't be either fun or sexy....just uncomfortable.

I was surprised at how many emotions my 20th evoked. Be prepared for that- bring kleenex & your address book to collect contact info. The biggest surprise for me was the class "nerd", who had a big crush on me back then, :P who turned up in a very expensive Armani suit, with a long pony tail. He'd become a divorce attorney working in Miami. Surprises like that make those high school reunions worthwhile. Enjoy & report back!

Julie

I sooooo agree- clothes shopping wears me out. You know I exercise a lot, but SHOPPING is equal to at LEAST a 50 minute 10K, which would actually make me feel exhilarated, not exhausted- like shopping.

Go for something that makes you feel comfortable- not too different from your "normal" self. I think sexy is feeling comfortable in your own skin & something TOO different won't be either fun or sexy....just uncomfortable.

I was surprised at how many emotions my 20th evoked. Be prepared for that- bring kleenex & your address book to collect contact info. The biggest surprise for me was the class "nerd", who had a big crush on me back then, :P who turned up in a very expensive Armani suit, with a long pony tail. He'd become a divorce attorney working in Miami. Surprises like that make those high school reunions worthwhile. Enjoy & report back!

Julie

Yeah, that was me! I was the class nerd!

All the dresses are comfortable, I don't do the "suffer for fashion" thing. None of them are too sexy, but two are definitely "date" dresses that I would never wear to Church! One is curve hugging and youthful in style, and one is an ocelot/jaguar print (very fun and artsy!)

I definately agree-------------the mall is so intimidating to me, and I rarely go unless my husband is with me. He'll even carry my purse for me. He's seen me on the verge of collapse so many times, and knows what I can handle. Often when I get to one end of the mall, I can;t make it back, and he'll go get the car and pick me up. One couple asked me if I was OK last year because my color ran out of my face, and I had to put my head down while sitting near the entrance----------------It was worth it because I finally got the shoes I had been looking at for three years-----LOL. They were also on sale and Josef seibel shoes never go on sale. I got them in black.... http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/121346/c/10447.html

I know they're not fancy, but with EDS you have to think what is going to support your foot the best, and look good with jeans, or dress pants. I'd love to wear a dress or skirt, but dress shoes with high heals are out for me. I can only wear them for a few minutes or my feet---(especially my left foot) will dislocate the joints and ligaments on top of my foot. Clarks are OK for me also, but the clogs are not supporting my foot as well anymore. I like shoes that make me look a little taller, so I have to go with shoes that have a platform.

Another shoe that works out well is a pair of black ariats http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/brands/Pr...p;source=Brand#

I'm looking forward to another pair of ariats.

I bought these for a specail occasion----but as I said, I could only wear them for about 10 minutes----lol. Just as a gift for my husband----lol.

Something sexy: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/bran...Dress+Heels.jsp they were cheap----I didn't want to spend a lot of money on somehting I would only wear for a few minutes. It's sad I have to give up sexy shoes, but there's things that are worse. I could be in a position that I couldn't walk in ANY shoe.

Maxine :0)

I give up! I would throw my hands up in the air if it didn't cause tachycardia. I can't take the lights or the still-standing enough to go shopping anymore. I found a dress (long enough to cover my double compression-wear), I found shoes (that I won't break my neck in) and finally found earrings to finish it (and me) off! All I can say, is that my Mother has had fun playing dress-up with me. I ended up taking her to help get these fashion contraptions on and off. :(

Men have it so easy with these things!

• 3 weeks later...

Shopping is exhausting. And unless you go to only one or two shops, or a small supermarket, involves quite a bit of walking which for me is exhausting. Another downside is queing at tills. I nearly pass out stading still. I used to do supermarket shops to have a bit of exercise but they are almost always beyond me these days. Thank Goodness of Online shopping.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree. Shopping is not something I do well. Usually, my husband goes out and buys my clothes and then I try them at home. I can't take the shopping trips. Too hard.

Your signature line makes me laugh Firewatcher! There is too such a thing as chaos. It's me! And my life (and health at the moment.) Before I crashed this summer I was working 2 part time jobs and have 4 kids, a husband and several volunteer positions.

You're only at your 20th you young thing? My husband is planning for his 30th reunion next summer and mine will be the year after.

Am glad you were able to get out shopping at all. It's always been something I'd avoid whenever possible and now it seems like way too big a project to contemplate.

Hope you have a lot of fun and feel terrific for your big event!