Brief Episodes Of Nausea

jjb

Funny - right now i have this! Sometimes is goes away entirely but last winter I had this problem every day. It felt like the "morning sickness" that I had with my first pregancy. I eat saltines and cheese sticks.

Last night i had a can of chicken noodle soup. I don't think it really helps me to eat these things- It just is a placebo effect.

Yep, count me in on this one too.

They usually last a maximum of 20 mins, especially if I make sure and lie down immediately when they start. I get them anywhere from 0 times per day to 3 or 4 times, usually 1 or 2 times. They tend to occur at night or after a big meal, though sometimes they hit mid-morning, especially if my stomach has been allowed to be empty for too long.

Sara

I feel so and car sick and nauseou that I have to carry a little basin in my bag as now. I feel like I might get sick in someone's cab or car. Better to be safe than sorry.

bellamia~

It seems like I often get nauseous after I have a BM. I also have episodes of nausea independent of the BM's.

I have this from time to time. Usually not too extreme, haven't vomited or anything. Kind of goes along with a mild dizziness feeling for me. For me it tends to be mild enough that I can ignore it, though it is uncomfortable.

Yeah I get it with the dizziness too ... and after BMs, certain meals and so on.

Yeah, I occasionally get really, really severe nausea fora brief moment or two. I only get it when all of my dysautonomia symptoms are flared. I've always suspected that it's a brief episode of retrograde GI propulsion. My son has small bowel dysmotility and he's had oodles of testing. During a 24 hour period, he had 6 episodes of retrograde movement in his GI tract. Exactly when he reported feeling the worst nausea- he had to keep a log.

Retrograde propulsion is when the food in your GI tract actually goes the wrong way. When it's full blown it results in vomiting. Yuck!

Julie

I do, but for me it is linked to acid reflux type issues normally causing me to feel nausous.

OR I also get it when I drink hot liquids, I can get extreme nausea, and gagging, but not actually vomit. I am better with this now, but I used to not be able to tolerate any hot liquids. Hot tea was the worst.

Yep, count me in on this one too.

They usually last a maximum of 20 mins, especially if I make sure and lie down immediately when they start. I get them anywhere from 0 times per day to 3 or 4 times, usually 1 or 2 times. They tend to occur at night or after a big meal, though sometimes they hit mid-morning, especially if my stomach has been allowed to be empty for too long.

Sara

I'm exactly the same with this, Sara. Exactly as you describe. Would you say it is our EDS or our POTS or both?

Janey

Yeah, I occasionally get really, really severe nausea fora brief moment or two. I only get it when all of my dysautonomia symptoms are flared. I've always suspected that it's a brief episode of retrograde GI propulsion. My son has small bowel dysmotility and he's had oodles of testing. During a 24 hour period, he had 6 episodes of retrograde movement in his GI tract. Exactly when he reported feeling the worst nausea- he had to keep a log.

Retrograde propulsion is when the food in your GI tract actually goes the wrong way. When it's full blown it results in vomiting. Yuck!

Julie

Hi Julie,

I heard that injecting botox into the intestine actually helps retrograde propulsion. Do you know if this is true?

Janey

Hi JJB,

My EDS Doctor told me that most nausea associated with dysautonomia is more likely to be EDS than autonomic bowel problems. I know there are times when the whole body is thrown into disorder and food just doesn't go down, but I'd imagine that our brief episodes of nausea are EDS-based.

Janey