Hida Scan W/cck Normal - Now What???!!!!

daisy

Well, the hida scan with the CCK apparently came back normal - so I am back to square one. Although I had a upper endoscopy last year, the GI doc said he will probably want to do another if this test didn't show anything. I am frustrated beyond belief!!! I have now lost 13 pounds in about five weeks and still can't eat any fat...well just a tad. If I do, pain, pain, pain! Of course, now I am concerned about what it is if it's NOT the gall bladder......why can't we ever just get a clear cut answer - why does everything with our health have to just drag on and be so complicated? It's been a frustrating week because my daughter has been sick for five days now with probable swine flu/bronchitis and my heart arrythmias have been in overdrive...just frustrated to yet again, not get an answer....

Are there any conditions related to POTS that can mimic gall bladder attacks based on eating fatty food? I wonder......

Anyway, thanks to you all for your support and that's the update!

I'm sorry I can't answer your question but my DIL has the same problem. She had every test run including upper & lower endoscopy, gall bladder checked, heart & I can't remember what else. When all was done they still couldn't find what was causing her pain, nausea, or gerd. She's tried everything she's read that might help & nothing has helped so far. Hope you find out what your problem is.

Daisy-

I keep recalling Gayla's statistic- 80% of folks with normal tests still needed to have their GB's removed. Since your symptoms so closely match those of GB disease, I wonder why your GI is hesitating?

One other condition, that you might want to research, called sphincter of oddi dysfunction might be to blame. That is often suspected when the GB is apparently normal, BUT liver function tests are usually elevated with this condition. I've had this investigated in the past.

Thirteen pounds is a huge weight loss. You must be feeling so weak. I'm sending prayers your way.

Julie

Daisy,

Do you by chance have EDS as well?!

A while back my then 13 year old son started to have very bad epigastric pain on eating fatty foods, that pain progressed to continual pain when eating, then after eating, he lost 14 pounds and could not walk anywhere unaided, Dr's had no clue what was going on, they though he was putting it all on! Finally he was put on very high dose Omeprazole, which helped reduce the pain, he is now on omeprazole to keep pain at bay, but still the Dr.'s are not sure why he has this problem. But it turns out that many EDS folk need to have their gallbladders removed at very young ages due to them just failing to work! Some research being done on EDS and microvascular dysfunction, seems to show that our organs may have some problems due small bleeds, blockages etc. of very small blood vesicle's.

Anna

So Sorry Daisy----------------------------------Oh how frustrating! I had upper gastric pain when I first got POTs, and it was horrible. I ended up losing 25 pounds in 2 months. They did a hyda scan, and the results were that my gall bladder works 60%. I still have my gall bladder. the only time I get that queezy feeling is when I eat regular potato chips----like a regular serving size. Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night with bloat, and kind of nauseated. I suppose some day it will have to be taken out, but for now it seems OK.

This can be the same for you----as it can wax and wane. I'm sorry your so miserable. I've been there---but it passed, and I hope it does for you.

Anna, that's interesting about the EDS connection with the gallbladder.

Speaking about microvascular complications-----------------right now we are trying to figure out some vascular issue I might have in lower cranium.

Take care of yourself Daisy-----I hope you feel better very soon.

Maxine :0)

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I am even more confused now....my gastro Drs. office just called to tell me that the hida w/CCK test was negative (my PCP had told me before when I took my daughter to the Dr. last week so I already knew this). Out of curiosity I asked them what my ejection fraction was - she said it was 17%!!! According to all I have read, that means the gall bladder isn't working correctly! She said, the GI Dr. said it is kind of slow but that he doesn't think removing it would fix the pain.......I have heard of many others whose ejection fraction was even higher (I thought under 30 or 25 means you are a candidate for removal) and had theirs removed. UGGHGGHGHGH! To me, that is not a "normal" test....I see him on Tuesday so I will see what he thinks but I am seriously thinking of moving on to a surgeon at this point. I hate being in limbo land like this for so long....

GI's say anything below 35-40 WITH symptoms is a reason for removal. 17% with your severe symptoms is NOT a normal test. Run to the nearest surgeon. Your GI doesn't seem to get the distress you are in. It takes time to get in with a surgeon and you need a consultation before surgery. Make your appt. today and still keep the Gi appt. as well.

Hugs-

Julie

I agree with Julie... get a surgeon's opinion! I worked as a recovery room nurse for 7 years and many folks had their gall bladder out just based on symptoms. I don't understand your GI doc's hesitation, especially because if left too long a poorly-working gall bladder can actually get infected and make a person very sick. If you start running a fever along with your other symptoms, get to the hospital.

Just wanted to agree with the others...get that Gallbladder out!! That is not a "normal" ejection fraction. Mine was actually 4% and the doctor said that typically they only remove the GB when the patient is having symptoms...and you are definately having symptoms!! Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Thanks - and I am calling my surgeon today.....I am really disturbed by them both telling me it was normal with a 17% ejection fraction and my symptoms. Something is very wrong there - I am thinking he just wants to run more tests...can you here the "cha-ching" sound as the money falls? Enough is enough.

Anna - you asked me if I have EDS? I have never been diagnosed with it but I do have some of the symptoms - joints that go every which way (smile) and more elastic skin and I had two hernias a couple of years ago.....how does one go about being diagnosed for that.....interesting about the gall bladder EDS connection.