"writing On Scalp" Feeling With No Meds

sue1234

I know one of the POTS meds is supposed to have that side effect(can't remember which one). For the 3 years that I've had POTS, the first two I would get this "writing on scalp" feeling about once a month or two, and it would last for a couple of days each time. Again, I am not on any meds, so it is not a side effect. I've not had that feeling for probably almost a year now. What exactly was my body putting out to cause that feeling(what hormone maybe?)? I'm trying to make a connection here on myself as to what my body was trying to do in the initial part of the illness. Thank you for any help figuring this out.

I've had something similar happen...it does feel kind of like someone is 'writing' on my scalp. It comes and goes and doesn't last for very long. Unfortunately, I am on some meds that could produce that feeling, so I'm guessing that mine is from one or a combo of my medications. Sometimes I also can touch the back of my head and feel pain where I touch, which my neuro thinks is rather odd. Perhaps it's my neuro that's rather odd!

Midodrine (brand name ProAmatine) has a side effect of a tingly scalp. If you are on this med, that could be the culprit. It could also just be a quirk. I sometimes get a feeling, usually on my arms or legs, of a bug crawling on me or water running down. Nothing is actually there, though. Just my nervous system playing tricks on me.

Rachel

Thanks for y'alls reply. Oh, yes, it was Midodrine that has this side effect. I knew I had read somewhere that one of the POTS drugs had this. I've never had this feeling before POTS. In fact, when I first had it, I quickly used my fingertips to find the "bug" that HAD to be crawling around on my scalp! And the next time, same thing. Finally, after a few more times, I figured out there were no "bugs" on my scalp, just something weird going on. Then about a year after that, I read about the POTS drugs and saw that side effect and realized that's what had been happening all along, even though I was not on any POTS meds. So, recently I had my antidiuretic hormone levels checked and they were low. Now that you said Midodrine, that is what replaces ADH. So, I guess it's possible my body was trying to get my blood volume up way back when it first started, and now it either quit or can't anymore. Interesting. I have to admit, I felt better in my first year with POTS than I do now three years into it. Maybe my reserves of ADH were still somehow helping.

DDAVP (desmopressin) is the synthetic med most like ADH/vasopressin... and "mostly" tells kidneys to hold water.

Midodrine "mostly" tells the veins to constrict.

Of course these things always have multi-effects... for example, some key kidney regulation happens to interact with vasodilation hormones (angiotensin/angiotensin II). Just pointing out the primary effects of those two meds/hormones.

BTW, I get a brief mild tingly head thing shortly after really intense exercise (even if I continue with regular pace... as in "interval training" things).

Here's a nice ADH page! It acknowledges the secondary constricting effect so you are on to something:

http://www.cvphysiology.com/Blood%20Pressure/BP016.htm

Since I'm being overly detailed here... there is the fact that a hallucination/delusion requires "belief"... so if you "feel like" creepy crawlies are on you but you know they are not, you are not hallucinating. Technically (so your probably not guilty of formication). Just being extra nit-picky. Probably not too useful. :)

Midodrine is an alpha (adrenergic) agonist. Many hormones/chemicals can have similar action but each is kind of "tuned" to hit various places in the body (veins, heart, brain, metabolism/glucose).

I do think norepinephrine/noradrenaline is quite similar in effect on veins (but has more generalized effect too). There would be plenty of others, I'm sure, but that is one we tend to be familiar with. Also, a dip in something can make similar effect since all these things are "opposing forces" but never balanced... the body is never, ever balanced & happy. Always "resonating" like a very strange shaped musical instrument :)