Help With Hormones

sandymbme

As I said in an earlier thread, my salivary cortisol test showed that my hormones were totally off kilter. Normal range for progesterone is 75-270, and mine was at 11. I turned 34 just 17 minutes ago, and until having an endometrial ablation in april I was having normal periods with the assistance of ortho tri-cyclen. The women on my mother's side of the family all had normal periods well into their 40's. I still have my ovaries, so I am now really starting to wonder why the heck my progesterone was so low? (My PCP called it "freakishly low".) Is this just another autonomic missfire I can chalk up to pots? My PCP has started me on natural progesterone to combat this (just 25 mg to start out with), but I am wondering what would make my body stop making progesterone for itself?

I cannot explain why the body would stop or slow making hormones, there are so many reasons you could be one of any of them.

I can say that i have been on a progesterone cream for almost 6 months. I also found out that I have addisons, probably brought on by the amount of cortizone meds i have been on since i was about 8. pleasse feel free to email me offlist if you would like to chat!

I am not much older than you, I turned 36 last month.

Joy

I am wondering what would make my body stop making progesterone for itself?

Progesterone is the one hormone I have in "normal" levels (supposedly.) All my other hormones: LH, FsH, Estradiol and Testosterone are all low. All the endos I've talked with tell me that I am not ovulating with hormones that low and that they have no clue why. :rolleyes:

I can load you up with theories, from hypopituitarism due to cerebral hypoperfusion all the way down to excess catecholamine induced amenohrrea (like female athletes.)

I can't say if it is ANS induced, but it seems to be fairly common with the ladies here.

Hormone replacement therapy helped me tremendously, and I am not menopausal (only 37 years old.) However, when my endos found out about the HRT, you'd have thought I was shooting street drugs! It didn't matter that I felt better, it just wasn't "good for me." :P I get the results of another hormone panel today, if you find someone who figures this one out, let me know!

Progesterone is the one hormone I have in "normal" levels (supposedly.) All my other hormones: LH, FsH, Estradiol and Testosterone are all low. All the endos I've talked with tell me that I am not ovulating with hormones that low and that they have no clue why. :rolleyes:

I can load you up with theories, from hypopituitarism due to cerebral hypoperfusion all the way down to excess catecholamine induced amenohrrea (like female athletes.)

I can't say if it is ANS induced, but it seems to be fairly common with the ladies here.

Hormone replacement therapy helped me tremendously, and I am not menopausal (only 37 years old.) However, when my endos found out about the HRT, you'd have thought I was shooting street drugs! It didn't matter that I felt better, it just wasn't "good for me." :P I get the results of another hormone panel today, if you find someone who figures this one out, let me know!

Hi,

I know we've briefly discussed hormone before... I have had problems with hormones (measured blood levels as well as amenorrhea, spontaneous cycles, anovulation, etc.) since developing dysautonomia. I am 27 and trying to find a HRT that agrees with my body and does not involve menstruation (my autonomic system cannot handle the blood loss and prostaglandin production). I am familiar with the theories you've mentioned because I have wondered about them myself... I just rationalize it saying that my body is so autonomically dysfunctional and weak that it is just ensuring that I am infertile by having my hormones out of whack. I previously had regular cycles, but things changed dramatically since developing dysautonomia. Wish I had more answers, but I offer my support!

~ Broken_Shell B)

Low progesterone levels usually mean you are not ovulating. Of course this also depends on what day of your cycle they tested you on. If was after ovulation and it was low means you didn't ovulate. Are you trying to have children or do you already have them? I'm guessing you have endometriosis because you had the ablation. I have endo too! I also have PCOS-polycystic ovaries. I was unable to have children.

I know one reason you can have low progesterone is PCOS, which is caused by elevated insulin in the blood, another name is insulin resistance. Your blood glucose is usually still normal as your body is producing more insulin to overcome the bodies resistance to it. Have you had your ovaries scanned yet or had your fasting insulin tested yet? If you google PCOs you will find websites that tell you what are tests you should have done for this condition. Of course if your cortisol levels aren't right, you may have adrenal disease or a conditions like cushings syndrome, addisons or congenital adrenal hyperplasia.

These conditions are usually beyond a PCP's skill base and you should see an endocrinologist. Find the best one you can and ask before making the appointment if the doctor knows about pcos, high insulin, and/or adrenal diseases. Not all endo's are up on the insulin stuff.

Once one hormone is off it can through off the rest.

hope this helps! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the insight! It is somehow bizarrely reassuring that even some of the craziest things our bodies seem to do are things we share in common. Not that I would ever wish even my easiest symptoms on anyone else, but it is a comfort to know one is not alone in this! I will definitely talk to my PCP about a referral to an endo, I am feeling increasingly desperate for even a small improvement. I will let you guys know if/when I know anything!

"I also have PCOS-polycystic ovaries"

Me too!

Actually Dr. Grubb told me that they don't really know why, but they have found strong anecdotal evidence of increased cross diagnosis with PCOS and POTS. He said they suspect there is a hormonal connection but that is all they know right now. They just don't know enough about POTS and are just scratching the surface with PCOS. When I was referred to Dr. Grubb, my local EP was funny. He said he felt that having one metabolic disorder made it much more likely that there was another one lurking about! I see a reproductive endocrinologist for the PCOS. There is a lot of information on PCOS out there that might be quite helpful to you!