Random Wierd Feelings

Nauthiz

Anyone get strange random weird feelings? Like stuff that doesn't make sense or can't really be categorized? Like for example some weird feelings i get suddenly include, feeling like im not breathing right, but it appears i'm breathing fine, feeling like my voice has changed and it feels different when im talking(but audibly it hasn't changed), feel of warmth on my face, yet to the touch feels normal etc.

Yes, I sometimes feel things like this, especially the more conscious I am of my breathing or other bodily reactions. Do you ever feel hyper or anxious during these times?

I get sensations occasionally of not enough oxygen ... my lungs are clear, I am taking slow deep breaths fine, but still my 'brain' keeps processing that there's not enough oxygen in my blood. Hard to explain. But probably in my case due to standing or sitting up too long and being a bit hypovolemic (like a car being down a few quarts of oil) which is likely depriving my brain of oxegyn. Rather than continuing to sit up and breathe slowly ... I try to remember (hard with brain fog) to lie flat on the bed. Even better for me is to bring the crown of my head just over the edge of the foot of the bed and let it fall back just a tad. If I then bring my arms over my head and let them gently dangle backwards, I have opened up the muscularture in my chest and provided more blood to my brain. In this position, many of my POTS rebellion symptoms subside.

As for voice, mine changes audibly when my thyroid goes out of whack. And heat sensations ... well menapause gives me the ride of my life in thst regard. I can feel heat inside but remain 'normal' to someone's touch of my skin.

I do think I am hypersensitive to even small chemistry changes in my body. Unless one seems life threatening, I jot them down and look them over for my next PCP follow-up.

Nauthiz,

I have very weird feelings too. I also get the weird breathing feeling. It is a terrible feeling. Have you looked up vocal cord dysfunction? It makes you feel like you can't get enough air in. There are breathing exercises that help with it.

One of the worst weird feelings for me is when I feel like the front of my throat is being squeezed and I have trouble swallowing. The muscles in the front and back of my neck get so tight that I feel like they are going to close off my airway. My voice gets weak during these times and I have more trouble swallowing. This is the one symptom I would most like to get rid of. So far no doctor can tell me why this happens or has been able to offer any relief.

We POTSy people sure can get some strange feelings. I am keeping a record of all of my symptoms no matter how wierd and unusual. :P I hope when I show the list to my new neurologist that it will help him figure out a course of treatment for me. Do you keep track of your symptoms so you can share them with your doctor? I have to keep track of them because I will forget them when I get to the drs. office. Brain fog!!!

Do you know what kind of POTS you have? I have never been told what type I have, but you and I seem to have similar symptoms.

Hang in there. I wish I could be more help to you. All I can offer is to let you know that you are not alone in this.

**My 17 year old daughter also has the breathing issues.

Babette

I get all sorts of weird sensations. BUT for the most part...I ignore them. Maybe that is not the way to go but I couldn't keep track of all of them anymore and the doctors are befutttled with even my most basic symptoms...so taht is the way it is. :P

I too get the voice change thing. I get hoarse. But I did see an ENT who said, it probably is changes in the BP and HR and definately weakness can affect your voice. My nose runs as well...for these reasons I always thought I had ENT problems but I only have POTS. ;) I think our bodies just aren't working right to say the least.

Erika

I had to take a pulmonary function test before I went on BBs because I had asthma (mild) as a kid. Test was 'clear' and any asthma I get as an adult is exercise or allergy induced and it is rare.

But I do get breathing issues on occasion and that leads to anxiety which leads to more breathing issues. It's frustrating.

Also have occasional swallowing problems (which is not good for swallowing a lot of meds...I almost choked on a Liquid Advil so I really try to avoid huge pills when I can). No idea where it springs from, but it's like I forget to swallow right?

God yeah I get so many weird things - ive learned to ignore them and they come and go.

As for the breathing thing - that happens when blood is reduced to the brain. its a stupid system though because the resultant hypreventiliation causes hypocapnia and increases cerebral vasoconstriction and symptoms...

• 3 weeks later...

In a nutshell, yes! Strange feelings -- quite frequently but "episodically". Now that I know about this POTS thing going on in me it does seem that they correlate really well... even explaining things well into the past (though perhaps a mingling of POTS related triggers with a simple-partial seizure sort of thing). Hard to say... there are even some memory gaps so the strange feelings are sometimes "flickering memories of strange feelings" afterward.

Other times there can be an eerie "silence" of feeling or sense of being. These things remain "senses" and "feelings" and don't push themselves into behaviors directly. Outwardly I remain boringly normal. Communicating them is problematic... but matching them, even vaguely, to other "states" and "triggers" can still be helpful (and in my opinion a smart thing to do)!

Even a healthy autonomic system is paradoxical at times... nothing is too surprising with a dysregulation. Or remember that a dysregulation can always be an appropriate response with an as yet elusive motive... or a "lose-lose-lose" situation where the ANS is (or believes it is) backed in to a corner by circumstances:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoxic_pulmo...asoconstriction

Many of the body's controls remind me of the cheesy radio controlled toys of the old days... the ones that had no throttle, only forward/stop/reverse. You couldn't turn them directly but if you went in reverse, they turned a little to one side. So you can drive the thing to any spot... but it was a most inelegant path! :)