Melatonin Attenuates Tachycardia In Pots

Cool article, thanks for posting link FW.

"The attenuation of MSNA during LBNP supports the concept that melatonin might have a negative impact on orthostatic tolerance in the general population and may be deleterious to astronauts who are susceptible to post-spaceflight orthostatic intolerance."

Ramakentesh how might this be related to computer use?

~EM

I'll take a stab at it: The computer monitor creates enough light to disrupt the SCN into destroying or/and delaying the natural melatonin secretion in some sensitive people (like me :) ) Creating a melatonin deficit in these individuals---short circuiting the "off" switch for the ANS that melatonin provides.

Yes, the link between computers and melatonin is to do with light. Before we had electricity people gradually had lower light levels in their homes in the evenings. The reduction in light intensity is a signal for the brain to release melatonin in preparation for sleep. Electric lights artificially increase our "daytime" hours and mute the natural signals. Computers are even more of a problem as the screens are brightly lit and you look directly at the screen whilst reading. The light from the monitor inhibits melatonin release.

Some people advise that you shouldn't use a computer after 8pm. I obviously don't follow that advice as I am often on here until the early hours of the morning (not always helpful being in a very different time zone). What I do though is turn down the brightness of my notebook screen to 25% of maximum (makes the page look grey) and light the room with a table lamp rather than the main lightbulb.

Another important factor for helping natural melatonin production is to sleep in a room that is pitch black. Blackout curtains and no night-lights will help your body understand that it is "night time". Keeping to a regular bedtime also helps.

I've never taken melatonin supplements myself but my Dad has used them to combat jet-lag when flying on business trips all over the world. I am usually so tired that I can sleep ok without taking anything.

Flop

Sorry I should explain where Im coming from here.

Some patients with POTS have the primary problem where their reflex sympathetic response to orthostatic stress is overactive - that is - their sympathetic system is overactivated when they stand and all their symptoms appear to be a consequence of that.

Others and many under the more nebulus definition of orthostatic intolerance who have blood pooling in their extremities or who have low blood pressure on standing or NCS have reduced sympathetic nervous system activity when standing (either all the time or abruptly in NCS).

So with this in mind, it is interesting that melatonin attenuates the tachycardia in POTS as found by Raj et al.

So in other words - it will help some and not others and may even be a helpful indicator of where your primary problem lies.

As an example perhaps it might explain why Mighty Mouse reports that it didnt help her and made her feel worse - since she has EDS so her POTS is a response to inappropriate venous pooling (in theory??

Thanks for posting the article! Couldnt find it at the time.

Secondly melatonin secretion is effected by bright lights at night as already posted. I find that when i use my computer for ages I tend to feel worse POTS wise for some reason. My doc said it was from sitting still but it happens sometimes within a minute of getting in front of the comp (that or a migraine anyway).

Electromagnetic fields have also been shown to decrease daytime and delay nighttime production of melatonin.

Melatonin is also an important antioxidant so there was a lot of studies around suggesting that being in constant contact with eletromagnetic fields at a certain frequency seemed to decrease melatonin and put people in danger of cancer or something along those lines. I am just thinking out aloud here... :D

Just realised the study posted by firewatcher isnt actually the same as the talk I was referring to which was based on unpublished data specific to POTS patients.

Melatonin attenuates tachycardia in postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS)

SR Raj, I Biaggioni, BK Black, PA Harris, D Robertson

Nashville, TN, USA

That being said, the point is the same and the study included by Firewatcher explains why it may be helpful where excessive sympathetic activity is the problem and may make things worse if sympathetic activity isnt high enough.

Oh and this:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x31140...text.pdf?page=1

Electric Magnetic Fields Reduce Melatonin

FORT COLLINS, Colo.?Electric magnetic fields reduce melatonin secretion in men regularly exposed to them on the job, according to a new study. The hormone melatonin sets biological clocks, turns on immune systems, fights free radicals and inhibits tumor promoters such as estrogen.

Last year, James Burch, Ph.D., of Colorado State University located here found that electric utility workers exposed to stable magnetic fields had reduced nighttime melatonin secretion. In his latest study of daytime melatonin levels published in the American Journal of Epidemiology [1999 Jul;150(1):27-30], Burch monitored magnetic field and light exposure for three days in 142 male utility workers?from the generating station to the administrative offices. He measured the men's urinary levels of a melatonin breakdown product, 6-OHMS/cr, at the end of their workday at 6 p.m.

Workers exposed to constant levels of magnetic fields emanating from 60 Hz alternating current had reduced nighttime melatonin levels, especially if they worked in the low light of an office.

Although typically produced at much lower levels during the day, daytime melatonin nonetheless activates melatonin receptors and stimulates nighttime melatonin secretion. The workers' "combined reduction of daytime and nocturnal melatonin secretion ... could alter immunologic, oncostatic or antioxidant processes," says Burch.

i was told after i bought a ton of melatonin after years of taking it that it reves up the auto immune systeme. I was starting to become pre diabetic at the time and stopped it. i also have raynauds and it has gotten worse since the years I used it for sleep issues. sorry I every took the stuff, as we get it naturally from the sunlight. I used to have a sun box but the bulb got too expensive. Now I have some light bulbs that are in light fixtures that are good for you. :) . MY BIGGER PROBLEM IS THE SUN attenuates Tachycradia in Pots along with any extreme temperture changes and I've gone down hill quick since a wonderful day at the beach with family. I need help to cope as It landed me in the hospital for 4 days flaring up may parts of my POTS. Finally made it home late last night. Doc says NO SUN, I'm not telling my family that. I have to have a life. HELP ME PLease! How does one cope. No wonder I could never teach areobics high powered in the sun and feel like I was going to hit the deck and have the feeling of my heart jumping out of my throat. Summers it was outdoors, Rest of the year it was like a sauna.

Blessed to be back BellaMia~ :)

Ohyeah - it should be pointed out that melatonin has been connected with the onset of some autoimmune diseases - specifically cases of autoimmune hepatitis.

That sun thing is weird. I usually feel ok in the sun. they always say to avoid your triggers. i wish I had something actually helpful to say :) Hope you get through it relatively intact!

Ohyeah - it should be pointed out that melatonin has been connected with the onset of some autoimmune diseases - specifically cases of autoimmune hepatitis.

That sun thing is weird. I usually feel ok in the sun. they always say to avoid your triggers. i wish I had something actually helpful to say :) Hope you get through it relatively intact!

thanks for your reply, this is been a really bad day. could only tolerate gatorade today and then got sick all over again. thanfully, i go back to the hospital tomorrow to get hydrated again. i feel so crappy. i hope they don't keep me again. what a nightmare, sick on a weekend when they don't understand pots.

everyone is facinated by me, but i'm too tired to teach when i'm this sick.

i'm so exhausted! so dizzy just laying here.

BellaMia~

I read a doctor for doctor text on POTS recently that suggested that doctors give their refractory patients IV saline just once so that they are aware that there are treatments that potentially can make them feel better. But then never offer it again due to its time consuming nature. nice...

Oh I get them every week now for a one year now, :) but now need two days aweek as the order just chaanged. The schedule had gotten messed up by my being in the hospital for 4 days and by hospitlist not upstanding POTS that I needed more fluids (sodium ch.) before discharge. I hate being in the er or hospital as they mess me up so bad. Also I usually should have had my B12 shot by now. Go to cardio this morning see what we can work out. :P

Blessings and Love,

berry tired BellaMia~ <_<