Implanted Heart Monitor

In reading a recent thread regarding heart monitors, I recall someone mentioning an implant monitor. I am totally unfamiliar with them and would truly appreciate any information any of you can impart on the subject.

I have had to wear a Holter monitor for extended periods of time - and quite frankly, I find them to be a royal pain! I would LOVE to find an alternative.

Thanks,

Jeannie32

I remember having a fast HR only while showering (before my POTS diagnosis)...the Cardio I was seeing suggested I could get this implanted HR monitor because you can't wear a normal one in the shower.

It's a minor surgical procedure, implanted near your chest. I never did go through with it (didn't really want something inside) and now that I know what causes my crazy HRs I don't feel like I need it.

That thread you saw was under "Holter Monitor" and written by Sandyshell. You probably should try to PM her and find out the details...I know the device was named "Reveal". Hope this helps - I had sent this info on to another friend of mine who was also interested in a temp device.

Cheers,

Jana

i have one...it's called a Reveal Implantable Loop Recorder. I've had it in for a year now. my cardiologist has it set so it records my heart rate when it goes in the 30's or if it goes above 200, or if it does something not normal. I also can activate it when i have a symptom...like chest pain, palpations, or feel like i'm going to pass out...etc. If you have any questions about it you can pm if you want.

I have a Transoma monitor. It has been a God send. It records constantly and transmits automatically so that I am constantly monitored. If anything shows up that is alarming, they or the doctor will call me. They even sent someone out to my office once to reprogram it and give me a new hand held device when it started alarming. It has also allowed the doctors to figure out what the my heart is really doing. My episodes were so varied and changed when and how they happened that it made it very difficult to pin down. When the last ablation couldn't be done, they put in the monitor. It was fairly simple as a procedure. I was in the EP lab, and they just did the prep, and incision with a bit of local, squeezed it under the skin like a pacemaker with the wires going to the heart. I was not allowed to drive for a week, and no lifting so that the wires didn't move before healing, but it was really easy with a 2-3 inch incision about a hands' width below the collar bone. I have a hand held thing I can activate. The settings are set to the parameters of the patient and they can adjust it when needed to not record under or over certain levels and conditions which is nice. For me, they have to have it set higher because my rates at rest are way too tachycardic for most people.

I got the implant last May, and I am scheduled for an ablation on September 10th that will hopefully help me get more active and be more safe! The monitor has done its job already, with no need for constant connections to a holter or patches that destroy your skin. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about mine and am so very happy that a got it. Even if they can't get the arythmia under control with the next ablation, at the very least, it has meant that I have a sense of security, knowing that I don't have to worry about what I am feeling, or writing down times, what happened, etc. It is all being tracked, and will transmit so that if anything really bad has happened, they will know, and let my doc know to call me. In fact, by my first post-surgical follow up 10 days later, my doc. told me he had already received 3 tracings from the company to look at and ok. They actually send them directly to his blackberry if it is suspect and he looks at them. If he has questions the office calls me and checks the next day.

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions. Here is an article about the device I now have.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/138839.php

Hi Gang!

Thank you all so much for the info. It sounds like a wonderful alternative to adhesives and tape - and a lot more reliable too! I am continuing to research the info you shared online so that I can be the "expert" on my appointment early next month.

To those who took the time to respond - thank you for your time and effort. The average person has NO idea how helpful - and comforting - a group like this can be!

Jeannie

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Reveal monitor implanted in March. I was kind of an unusual case because I have family history of a very rare and very deadly heart rythym disfunction called Brugada syndrome. (As if the pots wasn't enough!) I had no desire to wear a monitor for extended periods, and have been very happy with my implant. The info downloads over phone line so even though Dr. Grubb is 2 and a 1/2 hours away I can send info to keep him updated on a daily basis as to how I am doing. Once the swelling went down it really is no terribly noticeable. I had a little trouble with pain management during my recovery, but am doing just dandy now. I would definitely be happy to answer any questions, just pm me!

I have the Medtronic Reveal monitor as well. I have had mine since January. Since my is basically to monitor what my heart is doing during my syncope episodes, if I pass out, or nearly pass out, place the hand-held activator over my chest and it records my heart rhythm during the event for my EP to see what was going on. It doesn't bother me at all. There are no leads into the heart with the Reveal - it just goes right under the skin.

I have a medtronic Reveal device in situ too. Mine is a small box under the skin (same size as a USB memory stick) with no wires or connections to the heart. Mine is set up so that it records a loop and any time up to 40 minutes after an event I can activate it using a small hand-held box. It then stores the ECG of the event until I can go to the hospital and have it downloaded.

I actually am on my second Reveal device (when the first was in situ i didn't have any blackouts at all!). I have it not because of POTS but because we have a family history of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and one of my relatives had a cardiac arrest (fortunately she was near an off-duty paramedic who resuscitated her). My cardiologist was concerned that we shouldn't assume that my syncope was "just POTS" and make sure that nothing else was going on.

The transoma device didn't exist when I had my reveal implanted, if I were to have a device now I would be keen to have a transoma as the continuos data analysis allows better understanding of the daily heart rate changes.

Flop

Flop, I consider myself lucky that my doc is an instructor and professor who teaches other EPs how to implant pacers and monitors, so he was able to get me one of the first of the new line transomas. I joke with people that my heart is blue toothed! Actually if I am near a bluetooth wireless network it can also send out to the company! :angry: I don't ever have to download anything. I carry my hand held in my purse and have a box plugged in next to my bed which downloads when I walk in the door. I can push the button to record, but the episodes that have told them the most information, I did not feel at all so I would not have ever known to record. It was fascinating to talk to my EP to discuss how my rates changed during the night as opposed to non-potsers and what happened when I spiked and had no clue.

It is funny, when cardio people find out I have the new Transoma they get excited like it is a new toy they wish the could play with! :)