Colon Problems

gertie

Hi Alicia,

Yes, these types of problems are common since the GI system is controlled by the autonomic nervous system. I have had from severe constipation for several years to bouts of excessive bowel frequency and nausea. All of my other autonomic symptoms are worse related to GI function - bowel movements and eating, etc. I think that there have been many posts on this in the past if you want to browse the archives!

~ Broken_Shell :rolleyes:

Yes, I definitely have problems with IBS and major constipation. I take Senna to help with the constipation, 2 every morning and night. I have alot of bloating, too. I'm having a colonoscopy done in about 10 days to see what's going on. I will probably start on one of the IBS meds if needed.

Take care,

Jana

I have had from severe constipation for several years to bouts of excessive bowel frequency and nausea. All of my other autonomic symptoms are worse related to GI function - bowel movements and eating, etc.

Hi Broken Shell, I have the exact GI issues you described. For some reason, the bouts of nausea and diarrhea come along with migraines, but that might just be me! I had a motility study at Mayo, and they watched my gut pass food through it for several days. They said normally 50% of the food should pass the small bowel in 6 hours. Only 4% of mine had passed. So then the doc sent me for a barium swallow and said the barium moved through normally so I didn't have visceral neuropathy of my gut. He thought my slow GI tract was due to excessive norepinephrine diverting blood away from the GI tract, thus slowing it down.

My poor mom has frequent diarrhea from her carcinoid syndrome. As much as constipation stinks, I'd rather have my problems than hers... :rolleyes:

Slow guts for me-----or I should say slow bowels. Excessive diverticuli in large bowel.

One large 5cm diverticulum in small bowel.

Some docs say the EDS is the cause for such excessive diverticuli, but one said I may have inflammatory bowel issues.

I'm bloated and constipated all the time. I don't have nay particulr things that works best, as some things will work for a while, andf then stop working for me, so I just try to eat a healthy diet, with more soluable fiber because it's easier on me. Some of the other fiber turns to stone inside me. Drinking a lot of water is necessary for my guts to work.

I have started take 0mega 3/codliver oil, and that seems to help a little------------keeping my fingers crossed.

Maxine :0)

I have severe constipation & vasovagal syncope. If I get a bad stomach cramp I pass out. It's a miserable feeling to know that altho I desperately need to have a BM, chances are I will end up passed out in the bathroom. I'm always terrified of having to use the BR away from home.

I've found that fresh lemon juice in water b/4 a meal helps some to get digestion moving. I'm also one who can't take fiber or eat high fiber diet. I got in a miserable condition when dr's put me on high fiber diet & metamucil. I ended up with tears in a delicate place.