Do I Have To Take An Ssri For Pots?

Darlene

I have dysautonomia, and was prescribed lexapro and lopressor. The lopressor is for tachycardia, not sure how lexapro comes into play. My symptoms are less with there medications. But, I have gained 40 lbs since taking lexapro. I have tried to get off, but when I do my smptoms become more severe. I have tried other meds like celexa, wellbutrin, and who knows what else, and get side effects with them meds. Isn't there something else I can take for POTS, besides antidepressants that do not cause weight gain? I do not think I will be on lopressor alone. Not sure whats in my body that causes my heart to race, hands to shake, and other symptoms. Its like an adrenaline surge. I ned something to calm my nervous system. And not sure why I get tachycardia at night. Something must be going with my body during rest. And thats another thing, I can not slep at night. I lay in bed all night watching the hours go by. Then very tired during the day.

Hi, I am new and am not sure if this will help you... but I am on lexapro as well and have gained weight. I am wondering if the weight gain might be more due to the fact that your symptoms are better not really a side effect of the drug. I think my weight gain may be due to the fact that I am less active and before the medication my body was working way too hard. With that said... if you find something that works better for you.... please let me know. I am not enjoying my new chub! :)

also my symptoms are like an adrenal surge. My heart rate was in the 150's during my TTT and they didn't have to give me an injecting. My Tachycardia is also worse at night. In my case it seems to be related to walking up the stairs to go to bed and also if I turn over at night or change positions my heart rate takes off. Good luck to you!

It could either the be the lopressor or the SSRI or both that are contributing to the weight gain. Personally. I was on beta blockers for years and switched to Paxil within the last year. have maybe gained a lb or 2 - maybe not - but feel soo much better that I don't care whether I'd gain weight or not. It would be worth gaining 50lbs it is such a difference for me.

That being said, there are many treatments for POTS and you don't HAVE to take anything. You have to balance how you feel with the weight gain and decide for yourself.