Kidney Problems From Excess Sodium

gertie

Has anyone experienced any kidney problems from excess salt? I am beginning to see elevated BUN levels in the last few chemistry panels I've had done. I'm wondering if extra salt could be the reason.

I do try to drink plenty of liquids altho I read that we can drink too much. Dr doesn't seem to be concerned at this point. Thanks.

BUN comes up from dehydration and excess protein. Is your Creatinine coming up as well? If you are only upping your salt and not your fluids, you could be upping your blood-pressure through sodium-hypertension instead of volume expansion. Are you urinating more or less?

I am having kidney issues (according to my labs) but they don't know what or why yet since the blood-work that I am coming back with isn't humanly possible :unsure: .

The amount of thirst and as a consequence water I go through suggests that my kidneys would be fine.

Make sure your increasing your liquid intake as well as your salt for the reasons firewatcher outlined.

Its intereesting that in many POTS patients renin activity is unusually low given the relative or absolute hypovolumia we exhibit :) Perhaps it might turn out to be our kidneys afterall.

I go in and out of stage 3 kidney failure, and they think it's linked to my not getting enough blood/oxygen to my kidneys. I assume this is true, since it certainly affects my brain and other organs.

jana

Hi Firewatcher,

Yes, my creatinine/GFR do go up and down. I had some testing done (ultrasound) and my kidneys are rather malformed. I also go to a nephrologist every couple of months to re-check my numbers. It's been down again for the last 6 months, so they're doing 'watchful waiting' to see what happens. If it gets too low, I'll have to start treating it.

Hi Firewatcher,

Yes, my creatinine/GFR do go up and down. I had some testing done (ultrasound) and my kidneys are rather malformed. I also go to a nephrologist every couple of months to re-check my numbers. It's been down again for the last 6 months, so they're doing 'watchful waiting' to see what happens. If it gets too low, I'll have to start treating it.

If you don't mind my asking, what are your levels fluctuating between? My Serum Creatinine is between 1.2 and 1.25 and rising and my GFR is 48 and dropping, so off to Neph #2 I go. What makes NO sense at all, is that my BUN is tanking! The highest it has ever been is 13 and now it is at 6. Usually BUN and Creatinine move in the same direction. All I can figure is renal artery stenosis, which restricts blood flow to the kidney; it would cause the polyuria with low UOsm in the early stages, as well as increasing the Creatinine and lowering the BUN. I AM NOT THE ONE WHO IS SUPPOSED TO BE FIGURING THIS OUT! (YES, I'm yelling!!!!!!!!!!!! :o )

:blink: Duh, I 'm just supposed to paint pretty pictures and make cool sculptures, I never wanted to go to medical school, much less be a medical mystery. :lol: