Work And Disability

When I was diagnosed with POTS in 2004 I was a student at the Universtiy of Toledo. Don't know how I made it, but I did. I had not worked or thought about filing for disability. My thought was "I did not go to school all them years to be on disability". Getting some medical condition was never in my plan. After finishing my degree, I went back to school to get another degree. Of course the economy was getting bad, and there were no jobs. Well, I finally got a job. Nothing I went to school for, but it's a paycheck, and I figured it would do until something better came along. Well, I love my job, but the 20/25 hours I work a week feel like 60. I am now thinking I went to school for nothing. I wanted to better my life for my daughter and I, make more than a minimum waged job, and move away from this guy I have been living with(long story).

I need advice.

Where do I do from here?

This is the first time I have worked since my diagnosis, thought/hoped I would be able to handle it, and I think I can handle the 20/25 hours a week I have been working , so far. I don't know, have only been working 2 weeks. Its takes a lot out of me.

How can I be independent? I am sad living with this guy. But now, how will I be able to support myself? Don't think I can make a living on 20/25 hours a week, especially at the low wage I am making. I can't work more hours, because it take all I got to work what I do now.

I don't even have enough credits to qualify for disability.

Can you get disability while you are working? I hear some people get disability and work part time.

I need help. I am getting very depressed. I will not be able to accomplish my goals now because of my POTS.

Hi,

First of all, let me say that I'm so sorry that you're in this position after all of your hard work. I went back to school later in life, and only got the chance to work in my chosen field for 4 years before I became too sick to work. Luckily, I worked for the state, and after only being in that position for a year, I qualified for long-term disability. It took 9 months to get, but I finally got it. As soon as I knew I could no longer work, I applied for federal disability. They usually turn you down twice, and then you end up going to court. My court date is in late June, and I have a lawyer presenting my case. Unfortunately, this process has taken almost 2 years because the federal courts are so far behind.

I would assume you could qualify for state or federal health care, and perhaps some emergency cash, depending on your situation. To get federal disability, you must be totally unable to work and not work any hours until your case is decided. AFTER you get disability, they have a program where you can work a limited number of hours. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but check out your social services agencies and get as much help as you qualify for. Also, if you want to try to go for fed dis, get the papers in now!

Good luck and keep fighting,

Jana

I am in the SAME exact situation as you (being dependent on someone else, having it ruin my school/career/goals) and I'm also wondering if I qualify for partial disability so that I can work very little. Why exactly don't you qualify for disability though? Is it just your doctor not agreeing that you qualify, or something else?

Melissa & NorthernDarlene~

Please take a minute to look up Federal Disability on the government's website. It lists all of the diseases that qualify and the process in detail. That's the best way to figure out your particular situation. But, you can't be working and apply for disability....Let me know if you have further questions.

take care,

jana

I just wanted to add that apart from our illness and disability that when I left my husband a few years ago with 3 little ones , I as a stay at home mommy at the time qualified for emergency cash and food assistance with the state I live in (AZ). I continued recieving partial assistane after getting a part time job. I am positive your state offers some type of assistance for you while you are awaiting disability. Also, I began receiving child support which helped too. I hope and pray the best comes out of this for you. I agree with potsgirl, check out your state's websites. :huh:

Hi NorthernDarlene,

I would encourage you to begin the process of applying for disability, as it is an involved process. You can initiate it online by going to www.ssa.gov. I don't know that there are specific requirements for qualifying beyond being disabled. I receive disability - I had to drop out of graduate school and am unable to work due to my dysatuonomia, hypoglycemia, and pain. I was concerned about having enough work experience because I had only worked part-time jobs as a student, but I was still approved because my medical records and care giver testimonial reflect that I am physically disabled by my symptoms and unable to work or attend school. However, I think that work history may influence how much monthly payment you are awarded. Best wishes... I am sorry that you have gotten to this point though. I don't know if I can be of any further assistance, but feel free to PM me if something I wrote wasn't clear.

~ Broken_Shell

Couple points if you are married or getting a divorce and you have been mainly a stay at home worker, you may certainly qualify under your husbands benefits. Also if you are divorced and don't have the credits again you can use his credits. Even if it has been over 10 years. Search, google and ask questions. If I am not clear let me know. Miriam

Hi Broken Shell & ND~

I know that you have to have worked for a certain amount of time to qualify for federal disability. Also, the income you have previously earned (essentially the social security you have paid out of your checks) determine how much you would receive each month. NorthernDarlene, are you married? It didn't really sound like it in your message, but if you are, you need to talk to a social security counselor or go online to the website Broken Shell gave you to check it out. That's the only way to determine YOUR benefits...

Again, GOOD LUCK & let me know if I can help you out more. I've been through the process.

Jana