Chiropractic Adjustments

yogini

I saw a dr earlier in the week for my chronic back and neck pain. She is part of a clinic with physical therapists and a chiropractor. She said she wants to take a multifacted approach to my pain, including physical therapy, injections, etc. She asked me whether I would be open to chiropractic treatments, and I sad probably not.

Then I met with the physical therapist, she started massaging my neck and said it was way out of alignment. She said she could help me, but a chiropractor would be much better and that his alignments would make me feel better right away.

I've never really been into the idea of a chiro. I also remember that a long time ago, on the Dinet main page, it said that neck adjustments could be dangerous for POTS. I can't seem to find that anymore, so maybe it was deleted. I am not getting these adjustments for POTS, but I don't want to do anything that would hurt my POTS. I'm in a pretty good place right now POTS-wise.

For now, I'm not making any decisions, but just wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hi Yogini,

Thank you for letting us know how your appointment went today. My personal experience with chiropractors was not good. After a couple of adjustments, I developed worse muscle tightness and dizziness. I saw two different chiropracgtors and had the same experience with both. I am pretty sure that the chiropractic adjustments set off a pain and muscle tightness condition and problem with wooziness that I have been attempting to resolve for several years now. Everyone has different reactions to things, but I found the adjustments to be too harsh and they made my symptoms a lot worse.

~ Broken_Shell :)

I agree with Broken Shell. I have also seen two different Chiropractors and ended up worse after each one then I was before. I am working with a physical therapist now and getting good results with my pain. My friend who is a physical therapist says the difference is a chiro forces you into alignment and a PT strengthens the muscles that keep you in alignment. I prefer the strengthening to the forcing.

Best wishes that you feel better!

Babette

The first problem I was ever officially diagnosed with was a simple pinched nerve in my neck. The doctor who looked at my shoulder said she did sports medicine, and had never seen that bad of I guess muscle knotting. So making the conection that the neck was probably causing the shoulder problem I went to a ciropracter. I have always had problems with my bones especially in my neck cracking, so I thought no big deal. The first time he did it I thought I felt better, but later I really seemed to get spacey. I had it done 2 more times, and my neck (as it seems to sit crooked) will only pop in one direction most of the time. The third time he did it he tried really hard to get it to pop in the other direction, which it just doesn't like to do. Well he couldn't get it to pop, and I ended up with a severe headache, neck ache, and felt real weird for a while later. I also ended up with a 500 dollar bill. I personally think it just made things worse for me. Just wanted to share that with you. I like the idea of massage though! mkoven can you tell me if your insurance covers that?

Suzy.

Thanks Mkoven, I will look that up.

Suzy