For Ruekat And Others Who Are Losing Too Much Weight

Guest elyag

Guest GayleP

I just noticed your post on weight loss and wanted to let you know I'm going through the same thing. I've been losing a lot of weight over the past few years. The weight loss seemed to initially get triggered by a stomach virus and then every time I got sick with something else, bronchitis etc..... I would lose a few more pounds and not put them back on. or ....put a few pounds back on only to lose them again.

I'm 5'4" and down to 97 pounds. My PCP recommended Carnation Instant Breakfast which I can't tolerate anymore. Same with Ensure. My nutritionist says I need to take in 2000 calories a day which is way too much for me. I'm extremely frustrated and a little worried that something else might be going on.

Guest GayleP

Thanks, I'll look into the Weight Gainer. I have IBS so I can tolerate fries and ice cream in moderation because of the high fat content.. Unfortunately, I can't eat enough of either to put on weight.

Guest GayleP
i know what you mean.. im 5'10'' and weigh 121 pounds. im not severely under weight but my doc thinks so. Its weird because i lay around all day and get no exercise and still loose weight. I am on birth control and that helps me gain weight also my SSRIs do too. I eat high calorie foods.

I've always been on the thin side but nothing like this. It seems to me like I eat high calorie foods as well so I can't figure out why I'm having such problem gaining weight. I exercise a little but not enought to be burning off a lot of calories. Some days I have more of an appetite than others.

Dani and Gayle,

I have the same problem, and my doctors keep telling me I would feel a lot better if I put on some weight. I eat about 1800 calories a day, and exercise 4 days a week, but can't seem to gain weight. I'm 5' 8" and hover between 115 to 118. I know I'm just under an 18.5 BMI, which means I'm underweight. I'm guessing that you two are under your BMI by quite a bit. When you lose muscle, you weigh less, so perhaps that comes from sitting/lying around - I do plenty of that, too! But I try to eat a very healthy, low-fat diet...Either of you have eating disorders in your past? I guess that's quite common. I went thru treatment for anorexia about 20 years ago....

Peace,

potsgirl

FWIW a doctor told my very thin 5'10" daughter that his mother could not gain weight for most of her life until they discovered that she was gluten intolerant. It was only after she stayed on a gluten free diet that she could gain weight.

I thought that was interesting. Obviously, I do not know each of your stories', but I thought I'd relay the info in case i could help someone.

Futurehope,

How interesting! Thanks for sharing. I know it's something I should look into more. I guess that a lot of POTS patients are gluten-intolerant?

potsgirl

I just noticed your post on weight loss and wanted to let you know I'm going through the same thing. I've been losing a lot of weight over the past few years. The weight loss seemed to initially get triggered by a stomach virus and then every time I got sick with something else, bronchitis etc..... I would lose a few more pounds and not put them back on. or ....put a few pounds back on only to lose them again.

I'm 5'4" and down to 97 pounds. My PCP recommended Carnation Instant Breakfast which I can't tolerate anymore. Same with Ensure. My nutritionist says I need to take in 2000 calories a day which is way too much for me. I'm extremely frustrated and a little worried that something else might be going on.

Hi Gayle,

Wow, you are tiny. I'm 5'1" and now at 89 lbs and gettting more and more scared. I did the carnation instant breakfast and the ensure and some protein shakes from the health food store. I can't do 2000 calories a day either. I have no appetite and even though I was eating more sweets lately no weight gain. And last week I took a 5 min walk and lost 3 lbs the next day. I've expressed this over and over again to drs and they just keep saying eat more. Easier said than done. We have so much free floating adrenaline that I think it revvs up our metabolism.

I feel your frustration and worry too!

Rene

Hi All,

I am the same way. I am 5'2" and down to 91 pounds now. I lost about 15 pounds when I first got ill, and after being a stable weight for several years, I have lost nearly 10 pounds in the past two years as my dysautonomia has gotten worse. It is strange because all I do is lay on the couch all day and eat six to seven times a day. I know that I have lost a lot of muscle mass, and I think that at least some of the weight loss can be atributed to that, since muscle supposedly weighs more than other tissue. I also wonder if it is related to the amount of stress dysautonomia puts on the body, and whether or not it makes us somehow "hypermetabolic". It is still scary for me because I am afraid that my body will keep getting weaker. It is nice to hear that others are experiencing the same thing though.

~ Broken_Shell :)

Hi All,

I am the same way. I am 5'2" and down to 91 pounds now. I lost about 15 pounds when I first got ill, and after being a stable weight for several years, I have lost nearly 10 pounds in the past two years as my dysautonomia has gotten worse. It is strange because all I do is lay on the couch all day and eat six to seven times a day. I know that I have lost a lot of muscle mass, and I think that at least some of the weight loss can be atributed to that, since muscle supposedly weighs more than other tissue. I also wonder if it is related to the amount of stress dysautonomia puts on the body, and whether or not it makes us somehow "hypermetabolic". It is still scary for me because I am afraid that my body will keep getting weaker. It is nice to hear that others are experiencing the same thing though.

Broken shell, you and are identical! I can't exercise, lay around and try to eat and you're right because even my daughter said muscle weighs more than skin/tissue and that I've lost muscle mass. I'm terrified of getting to the point where I won't be able to walk. I don't even drive anymore!

Food has no appeal to me and I force myself to eat.

My thoughts are with you.

Rene

I dropped 15-20 pounds in a matter of weeks as I slid into this most recent POTS crash last spring. At 5'5" I was under 110.

I tried protein drinks and other processed foods but continued to loose weight. It may be that my body just shifted again on its own, because I am now able to eat well and have put back on 10 pounds.

For me what worked well was removing all packaged or proccessed foods. Switching margerine to organic butter and starting the day with six ounces of organic whole milk. Instead of artificial protein powders I used nut butters mixed into my shake. (Or grind your own nuts in the food proccesor until they become a fine meal or powder.)

Gluten is NOT a problem for me, but hybridized genetically modified wheat can be. So I use spelt bread or store bought ezeikle (sprouted grains, no flours). Lots of high quality whole grain toast with real butter. Nuts and berries for snacks every 2-3 hours. Tiny portions of whole foods all day long including whole milk mozzerella cheese, lentil soup, homemade hummus as well as small portions of steamed vegetables.

Hang in there! I hope everyone finds something that works well for them.

Guest GayleP
Dani and Gayle,

I have the same problem, and my doctors keep telling me I would feel a lot better if I put on some weight. I eat about 1800 calories a day, and exercise 4 days a week, but can't seem to gain weight. I'm 5' 8" and hover between 115 to 118. I know I'm just under an 18.5 BMI, which means I'm underweight. I'm guessing that you two are under your BMI by quite a bit. When you lose muscle, you weigh less, so perhaps that comes from sitting/lying around - I do plenty of that, too! But I try to eat a very healthy, low-fat diet...Either of you have eating disorders in your past? I guess that's quite common. I went thru treatment for anorexia about 20 years ago....

Peace,

potsgirl

Hi Potsgirl,

Nope, no history of eating disorders. Although I have to gell you this sort of feels like an eating disorder because I'm focusing so much on what I'm eating as I'm trying to gain weight. I think I'm getting close to 1800 calories on most days. I eat low fat becawue of the IBS although I can tolerate some fat from olive oil and avacados.

Guest GayleP
FWIW a doctor told my very thin 5'10" daughter that his mother could not gain weight for most of her life until they discovered that she was gluten intolerant. It was only after she stayed on a gluten free diet that she could gain weight.

I thought that was interesting. Obviously, I do not know each of your stories', but I thought I'd relay the info in case i could help someone.

Thanks for the info. I was tested for Celiac, (blood test). I wonder if there are other tests I should rquest for gluten intolerance.

Guest GayleP
Hi Gayle,

Wow, you are tiny. I'm 5'1" and now at 89 lbs and gettting more and more scared. I did the carnation instant breakfast and the ensure and some protein shakes from the health food store. I can't do 2000 calories a day either. I have no appetite and even though I was eating more sweets lately no weight gain. And last week I took a 5 min walk and lost 3 lbs the next day. I've expressed this over and over again to drs and they just keep saying eat more. Easier said than done. We have so much free floating adrenaline that I think it revvs up our metabolism.

Rene

Hi Rene,

You're very tiny as well and I can relate to your concern. Do you find you have more of an appetite on some days and no appetite on other days? For some reason, I can have a normal appetite one day and then absolutely no appetite the next. On those days I have to force myself to eat. My Drs are also telling me to eat more and I agree with you, it's much easier said than done.

I wish I was able to tolerate Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast although lately they don't seem to help.

Guest GayleP
Hi All,

Hi Broken Shell,

Sorry you're also going through this as well. I think loss of musle mass has something to do with it, I know I'm exercsing less than I was even a year ago and I've lost muscle mass.

Guest GayleP
I dropped 15-20 pounds in a matter of weeks as I slid into this most recent POTS crash last spring. At 5'5" I was under 110.

I tried protein drinks and other processed foods but continued to loose weight. It may be that my body just shifted again on its own, because I am now able to eat well and have put back on 10 pounds.

For me what worked well was removing all packaged or proccessed foods. Switching margerine to organic butter and starting the day with six ounces of organic whole milk. Instead of artificial protein powders I used nut butters mixed into my shake. (Or grind your own nuts in the food proccesor until they become a fine meal or powder.)

Gluten is NOT a problem for me, but hybridized genetically modified wheat can be. So I use spelt bread or store bought ezeikle (sprouted grains, no flours). Lots of high quality whole grain toast with real butter. Nuts and berries for snacks every 2-3 hours. Tiny portions of whole foods all day long including whole milk mozzerella cheese, lentil soup, homemade hummus as well as small portions of steamed vegetables.

Hang in there! I hope everyone finds something that works well for them.

Hi Earth Mother,

I'm glad you were able to find something that works for you. In general I try to eat mostly organic and I stay away from processed foods. I think that's why I was having so much trouble with the Ensure and CarnationIB, both have a lot of junk in them.

Hi,

I apologize, I just wrote a long reply and the computer lost it, so this one will be shorter and likely not as well thought out. I am opposite of ya'll in that the meds made me gain a lot of weight. But, I had some questions for ya. I worry when I see so many people so underweight, and how much more difficult it must make things. Make sure to not only try to keep your weight up, but to work on fluid volume (if your dr. has recommended).

Do you think weight loss is med related? Some can cause anorexia and weight loss.

Have you been checked for malabsoption issues? Endoscopy, gastric emptying etc. Look for leaky gut syndrome etc... Allergies?

I hope that you all are able to find foods that you can tolerate and eat as much as you can.

:)

Guest GayleP
Hi,

I apologize, I just wrote a long reply and the computer lost it, so this one will be shorter and likely not as well thought out. I am opposite of ya'll in that the meds made me gain a lot of weight. But, I had some questions for ya. I worry when I see so many people so underweight, and how much more difficult it must make things. Make sure to not only try to keep your weight up, but to work on fluid volume (if your dr. has recommended).

Do you think weight loss is med related? Some can cause anorexia and weight loss.

Have you been checked for malabsoption issues? Endoscopy, gastric emptying etc. Look for leaky gut syndrome etc... Allergies?

I hope that you all are able to find foods that you can tolerate and eat as much as you can.

:)

Thanks ajw,

I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm not on meds so my problems is definitely not med related. I had an endosope years ago and was recently checked for allergies. Other than that no other testing has been done.

I forgot to metnion that I went through a brief period of hyperthyroid in 2001. I was on meds for a few years and the problem eventualy corrected itself. I have my thyroid tested every 6 months and so far it's been in the normal range.

me too. i lost 40lbs in less than 3 months. i am still loosing. had endo, also. now they are blaming gallbladder. btu, they don't consider it surgical till under 35% and mine was 39% ejection fraction. i am still wondering if it isn't from dys since it is a visceral organ. other than the tumors in the gallbladder, i still think could be dys related.

you all might want to look into the gallbladder even if you are not having sx. i was not having any other than the weight loss when they found 2 polyps. i want to talk to my dys doc before i do any surgery, although they want me to see surgeon.

i,too, have been tested for gluten more times than i can count.

something to think about.

Firewoman,

Interesting about your gallbladder. I started having pain in my upper abs, especially on the right side, and it went around to my back. It ended up being my gallbladder, and they took it out pretty quickly. I'm still having some food issues with it - some foods make my stomach really touchy - and that was almost 4 months ago. However, they expected me to have a longer recovery period since us POTSies don't usually recover quickly. I'm glad I had it out, mine was totally white and not functioning, but I wouldn't do it unless you had to. I also having kidney function issues, it goes up and down, since the blood is not getting around to the organs as it should.

Hope you're not feeling sick with the gall bladder. Hang in there, and best of luck!

Peace,

potsgirl

Hi Gayle,

Rene

Hi Rene,

You're very tiny as well and I can relate to your concern. Do you find you have more of an appetite on some days and no appetite on other days? For some reason, I can have a normal appetite one day and then absolutely no appetite the next. On those days I have to force myself to eat. My Drs are also telling me to eat more and I agree with you, it's much easier said than done.

I wish I was able to tolerate Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast although lately they don't seem to help.

Hi Gayle,

Yes some days I can eat and others I don't even think of food. Like yesterday. I had an ensure for breakfast and nothing else till much later. I felt awful. Today I consciously decided I have to eat. Breakfast was an ensure with a piece of whole wheat bread with almond butter. Lunch was some vegetarian dumplings and a banana. This afternoon I ate a yougurt with almond butter in it. For dinner, some quinoa and cheese, grape juice blackberries and another ensure! I'm so full and it's not a good feeling. But I don't know how to get the weight back on. Then after eating/drinking I'm shaking. Go figure that one out! This is getting tiring for sure!

Rene

hi all -

i'm not in the underweight/ too much weight loss category these days, but in fact cannot eat/ drink/ digest AT ALL any longer so have certainly "been there, done that" before reaching the extreme place i'm at GI-wise now...and certainly i'd be horrible underweight/ malnourished now if it weren't for the proper quantity of total nutrition & hydration that i receive via IV. so i thought i'd chime in a bit as someone who, in the past, had reason to learn/ explore A LOT in regard to trying to maximize caloric intake, fluids, etc. when eating was a constant battle against an uncooperative body/ system.

before continuing, however, i want to emphasize that my situation is NOT typical & thus VERY unlikely to be where many of you (if any) are headed. so you are NOT allowed to freak out about the possibility!

before moving on to the body of my ramblings i want to comment on the potential involvement of gall bladder problems that has come up. it is very much the case that it CAN - for some - be a problem related to dysautonomia, or - more exactly - the autonomic neuropathy that some of us with dysautonomia have as a component of our diagnoses. a problem with the FUNCTION of the gall bladder, rather than the gall bladder stones seen more often in the general population, is the problem that can be due to autonomic neuropathy and is more likely to be an issue for (though is not exclusive to) those with some other GI dysmotility. to clarify potential confusion, however, re: the actual diagnosis/ existence of a problem, it's important to know that the 35% number that has been mentioned, known as the ejection fraction, is in fact the cut-off/ threshold for what's considered NORMAL in the general population. this ejection fraction, the representation of how well one's gall bladder functions, is measured by a test known as a "hyda scan" and a result of 35% is in fact ENTIRELY NORMAL. so....while it is understandable that some might get frustrated at a doctor's seeming unwillingness to treat what they feel has been a finally discovered problem, i.e. an ejection fraction that is perhaps in the low 30-percentiles, that result is not in fact a pathology/ problem at all. doctors differ in regard to the "magic number" they feel is sufficient justification (aka low enough) for surgical intervention, but regardless it is simply a matter of anatomy & physiology that no one has an ejection fraction of 100%, or even one that is in the 90s for that matter. i can't recall what the potential upper limit (aka highest percentile) might be in the general/ health population, but i'm thinking it's perhaps in the 50s (don't quote me); regardless it is definitely not incredibly high, and many in the general population would in fact have results in the 30s. so.....with 35% being the very definition of normal/ full functioning & a good number of "normal"/ asymptomatic individuals with results in the 30s, it would obviously be illogical, not to mention irresponsible, to suggest &/or agree to surgical intervention - wrought with potential complications in the best of cases - for a situation that is not in fact abnormal/ problematic. hopefully this clarifies things a bit:-)

that out of the way, i'll offer a few other thoughts.....

being too underweight will quite likely make other dysautonomia issues worse. even more so if you're not getting enough fluids on a daily basis. from both my own experiences & those of others i've come to realize that there are several different issues that may factor in to issues with appetite, weight loss, nausea in those with dysautonomia. some are easy to combat/ treat while others not so much; and of course some folks may have more than one factoring in simultaneously. for thoroughness-sake i'll like all possible issues here, though i know some have already been mentioned.

potential culprits include:

1.)dysautonomia/ orthostatic-related loss of appetite, nausea, etc. (different from actual gastroparesis as listed below in #3): while seemingly a bit vague, and not a technical "diagnosis" per se, this is something that many with dysautonomia deal with in some measure at some point; it usually corresponds in its severity &/or very presence with severity of overall symptoms &, as such, is many times an issue early in illness/ diagnosis &/or any time in which symptoms are increased; for some symptoms may correspond to orthostatic-related symptoms, i.e. increased nausea after standing for too long; in most cases symptoms (loss of appetite, nausea, etc.) deter people from eating but do not result in extreme nausea &/or vomiting if/ when someone pushes through them to eat/ drink regardless

2.) post-prandial hypotension: related to excessive blood pooling in the stomach/ intestines after eating, particularly after larger meals &/or meals with higher amounts of carbohydrates; tends to result in increased systemic symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, etc. rather than GI-related symptoms (nausea, vomiting, etc.)

3.) GI dysmotility (gastroparesis/delayed gastric emptying, intestinal psuedo-obstruction, etc.): this can/ does certainly affect one's appetite, but if this is the case that will NOT be the "only" issue; if this is the problem then once someone has eaten there will also be some measure of nausea, vomiting, bloating, early fullness, abdominal pain, etc.; symptoms/ can be intermittent rather than constant; can be caused by autonomic neuropathy that some of those with various dysautonomia diagnoses MAY have; gastroparesis, the most common motility disorder, is diagnosed via gastric emptying test; varies greatly in severity

4.) celiac disease &/or other food allergies/ intolerances (gluten, dairy, lactose, casein, wheat, etc.): while more specific testing exists for actual celiac disease & allergies (blood tests, endoscopic biopsy), some individuals learn that they have intolerances to one or more dietary components that have a significant effect on absorption, symptoms, weight maintenance, dysautonomia symptoms &/or other health issues; dr. rowe, a pediatric dysautonomia specialist at johns hopkins, has found some patients to have an improvement in dysautonomia-related symptoms after elimination of casein &/or gluten; for intolerances that can't be determined by definitive testing the only way to determine this issue is through dietary elimination; actual celiac disease causes actual damage to one's intestines that, untreated, increases over time & can cause SIGNIFICANT inability to absorb essential nutrients, major weight loss, etc. that can only be treated via a gluten-free diet (aka impossible to combat with "just" increased caloric intake if still consuming gluten)

5.) IBD (inflammatory bowel disease, aka ulcerative colitis or crohns disease): NOT the same as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome); symptoms may include issues similar to those seen in above-listed issues (#1-4) but underlying problem is an autoimmune attack in the GI tract that can be definitively diagnosed (or ruled out) via colonoscopy &/or endoscopy (crohns only); theoretically possible but no more common in those with dysautonomia than in the general population

6.) medication-related issues: many meds can cause varying degrees of nausea, weight loss, decrease in appetite, etc.; can be a short or long term issue which may or may not abate over time; may be "treatable" by way of adjusting dosing schedule, eating with medication, etc but at times can cause symptoms that are significantly detrimental to ones health that alternative treatment options should be considered, though only via collaboration with the treating physician

7.) any/all other possibilities: included only for the sake of thoroughness, there are obviously endless numbers of rare GI &/or systemic diseases/ disorders that can cause GI-related symptoms, loss of appetite, etc. that anyone "could" have but which are not likely in the general population &, while not less likely, certainly no more likely for those with dysautonomia

while it would obviously be unlikely for any one person to be dealing with ALL of these possibilities, it is certainly not far fetched for an individual with dysautonomia to struggle with more than one of them. for anyone with significantly bothersome loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, &/or other symptoms it is certainly worthwhile to figure out the "why" behind what's going on, whether the end result is some sort of helpful treatment strategy or simply a confidence that the trouble can be chalked it up to another fun element of dysautonomia.

coming from someone who has "been there, done that" in regard to it being super tough to get enough in i really want to encourage you to FORCE yourself to eat if/ when the issue is "simply" that you don't feel like it, don't have an appetite, etc. in other words if the biggest hurdle is making yourself do so, but if - once you eat - you don't have issues of being sick (GI-wise or otherwise), then i'm trying to strongly encourage you to figure out whatever strategies might work for you to somehow make yourself. if/when possible it's best to make sure what you are eating/drinking is as calorie-dense as possible, including making sure that everything you're drinking has at least some caloric/ nutritional value (aka no water, diet soda, etc.)...though obviously if richer items back-fire in that you can't eat/ drink as much of them then you have to strike a balance to determine how to maximize how much you're ultimately getting in. i also know people who set alarms to signal "time to eat/ drink", etc. now that i'm writing i'm remembering that i wrote a decently long/ thorough post some time back re: some ideas for a member struggling so will try to find it & post the link here.

if, instead, you're someone for whom the issue is not "just" a lack of appetite but rather some measure of increased symptoms once the eating/ drinking happens then obviously more needs to happen than making oneself eat no matter what. and of course knowing what the issue is generally necessary before its possible to know the best strategy. so...for now i'll leave it at that, though am more than happy to help anyone in any way that i'm able based on my own experiences over the years.

hope this helps,

:lol: melissa

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the very informative email! I just want to add one thing about my experience with getting my gallbladder taken out. I ended up in the ER in really bad pain, and they did all of the usual GB testing, even the hyda scan, and nothing showed up on any of my tests. My docs told me that it happens sometimes, especially with women, but due to my symptoms, they knew it was my gallbladder, and it was. My gallbladder was hardly functioning and looked completely dead. So...just a head's up for those who are having a lot of pain but nothing showing on their tests. I don't want to cause alarm, just know that it's a possibility.

Peace,

potsgirl

i was just suggesting a look into the gallbladder, not that it was. and the suggestion sunfish from doc at 39% to have the surgery was more about the tumors in my gallbladder than the actual ejection fraction. i realized it was w/i normal limits which is why i did not rush off and have surgery. and i as someone else here said , have issues w/ eating and having to stand, or i start shaking. eating is no longer a pleasurable thing for me. a few things may happen if i eat:

1. blood pressure and hr drop to shock level ie; 60/40 area or lower

2. i start shaking and get naseua

3. i vomit

4. i burp like a sailor for hours

5. it goes right through me , to the point i may or may not make it to the bathroom.

i have yet to find a pattern to this. i just thought that others may want to have theirs checked. i was in no way thinking they would find anything on ultrasound, but doc knew they would. but i think he was even shocked that he found tumors and not stones. that's why the hida scan came in to play as to rule out a bad gallbladder. his suggestion for surgeon i believe is based on the fact that w/ the lower side of functioning and the tumors it may be best for me to have it removed, before the development of cancer.

i am in no way suggesting that others w/ same weight loss as I, might want to rule that out.

but then again what would i know, i am only living w/ the fact that i have shock episodes quite often, and dysautonomia. sometimes i am not even sure why i think, i could possibly have a decent suggestion.