Esophageal Spasm

Hello Everyone,

I have been thinking about the MCAD thing, and I was wondering if anyone else gets the feeling like a brick is sliding down your throat during an allergy attack? I get it when I eat certain foods. I recently took a Benadryl during an episode and it worked! I've been taking Zrytec 10mg for the last couple of days and it seems to help the POTS symptoms. Thank you for all of you who posted on the MCAD topic, I don't think I ever would have tried an antihistamine for the POTS if it weren't for you guys.

Ann

I don't know about the details you wrote, allergies etc., but I do get esophageal spasms. Feels like cardiac pain, but goes away swiftly with medication (not allergy meds, specifically anti-spasm for esophagus...if you want, I'll search for the box and post the name). Actually, I never associated it with swallowing...it would just come and go all day and night (for two months b4 I got the right dx and rx).

I have terrible spasms. There's a med called Levsin that can help with them, but if you have reflux, it can make it worse. If you get angioedema, an allergic reaction, it can cause considerable pain in your esophagus and it would make sense that benadryl would help. That tends to be a constant pain as opposed to spasms. I've had that once and it was really horrible. I also had huge hives at the same time. It is the one and only time I have ever had hives and we never figured out what caused them. morgan

• 12 years later...

@tandori - I have found that drinking a glass of water fast in small, rapid sips also helps for hick-ups, which are spasms of the diaphragm. That could be the same mechanism that helps for your esophageal spasms

• 1 month later...

Well pretty sure i was mistaking a esophageal spasm for a angina attack. Seeing that a nitro tab did not help wasn't sure what to think except that they can be painful. My Girl at the clinic has been urging me to get a swallow test for a while now but I am not sure what value i will get from doing so.

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

I am not sure what value i will get from doing so.

I know what you mean - I did have a barium swallow test a few years ago but as my symptoms come and go I'm not sure what value it really added except to rule out anything else.  I know my triggers are fizzy drinks, very dry food and anything very cold.  Small bites, a lot of chewing and frequent sips of fluid help but I'll have none for a fortnight and then one every meal for a couple of days.  My Gp and I always thought it was hEDS related rather than dysautonomia so it's quite interesting so many people here complain of it.  

Thanks! @cmep37 I think i will hold off on the swallow test for now. I am not even sure what the trigger is for me. I only get maybe a dozen a year but i never tracked them as i thought it was angina. I know one for sure was when i went outside in the really cold weather "20 below" and it kicked off. I worry more when i aspirate.

I get frequent esophageal spasms – they began during the neuro phase of Lyme disease many years ago and continue with no rhyme or reason. I’ve had an upper endoscopy and more recently, a esophagram (swallow test) – both negative. I try to be relaxed before eating or drinking and find the regular use of herbs that help increase GABA help considerably (ashwagandha, passion flower). It’s a hideous pain that occurs when a spasm hits with food or liquid halfway down the tube. I did have a nurse practitioner once show me how to do the Heimlich maneuver on myself if needed – handy info. I also have to watch not to aspirate food or liquid. New dental cleaning methods are less scary for me now – no chance of aspiration.  I use an albuterol inhaler for occasional upper esophagus/throat area spasms. 

14 minutes ago, Rexie said:

I use an albuterol inhaler for occasional upper esophagus/throat area spasms.

Thank you for sharing @Rexie when i aspirate it can be a event. The albuterol is a savor. I am getting better at avoiding avoiding episodes so liquids i will just spit out, does not matter where i am. I do take care with solid foods. As i have choked on them before, as much as i like steak this is one i watch out for. 

• 2 weeks later...