Passed Out Twice While Making Cookies

cvincent

So last night while my mom, stepdad and brother were at my brothers basketball game I decided that I wanted to make some cookies. While I was making them I felt ok, just tired from standing up. I got the cookie dough all mixed together and ready to put in the oven, and was rinsing off some of the dishes I used when I accidentally cut my thumb on a knife. The cut was hardly noticable, hardly any blood and didnt really hurt. And I should mention that ive NEVER had a problem with seeing blood or anything along those lines. Stuff like that has never bothered me. But as I was looking at my thumb and getting ready to rinse the blood off I started feeling really sick and lightheaded and my heart started beating kinda hard. Next thing I know Im laying on the kitchen floor, confused, and my dog is nudging and licking my face. So after laying there for a moment feeling pretty sick, I stood up and started rinsing the blood off of my finger. Next thing I know my whole body feels like jello and I start feeling really lightheaded and sick again. And then I collapsed again but didnt completely pass out. After laying there for again for a couple mintutes I carefully got up and headed to the bathroom for a bandaid. Well, while I was in the bathroom I started to feel like I was going to pass out again so I just layed down on the floor. About that time everyone got home from the game. I went to my room and layed down, and it took about 30 minutes before I could stand up without feeling like I was going to pass out. So I was just wondering why all of a sudden I passed out? is it just a combination of having been on my feet too long and seeing the blood? My sciatica has been pretty bad lately so was it from my body being stressed from the pain and then just being able to tolerate seeing the blood? Im just trying to figure this out because I never pass out.

Oh, and my mom ended up putting the cookies in the oven for me. The cookies made it through the whole ordeal and turned out delicious :blink:

Candace

I have had to adjust myself to be able to cook or bake. I start and then have to sit down, check on things, sit down again, and back and forth. Sometimes, my husband or son has to finish whatever I am cooking and some things I have given up on because my stand time isn't long enough to make homemade dumplings, or really nice dinners anymore. Thank goodness for my family because then have been very helpful because all too often they have had to help finish whatever I have started cooking because I can't finish it any more or have passed out. I also have had sciatica several years ago with 2 back surgeries and no longer have the pain, but pain could of been a factor in your passing out as well as stand time. Hopefully you will be able to discuss this with your doctor as to whether it was the sciatica or the stand time.

Hi Candace,

I am so sorry this happened to you. I know it can be a frightnening experience, but it sounds like you did well handling yourself, and hope you pat yourself on the back. I have a lot of trouble cooking also. I am glad the cookies made it out ok. :blink: I would hate to see all your work go to waste!

I also wanted to ask you if anyone saw you when you fell like jell-o the second time, but didn't lose consiousness? The reason why I am asking is because that is how I feel when it happens to me. Like jell-o going down. I have told the doctors I don't think I am really fainting, but last night I was bent over and stood up and got the head rush, I felt like I was going down, and aimed at a safe place, and fell slowly so I wouldn't hurt myself. But I didn't lose conciousness. So that is how I described it to my family who laughed hysterically at me and asked if I remembered the kleenex box up my nose. My husband said he'd seen airplanes fall out of the sky more gracefully. I truly thought I had floated to the ground in slow motion. I hope this was just a one time instance for you. And I hope you are feeling much better now.

Suzy

Hi Pat57, I am glad to know I'm not alone in slow-mo.

It's good to be able to laugh at these things, and my husband is a comedian always. Helps me laugh at myself. I am glad he gave you a laugh too.

Suzy

I had some blood tests last week and they had to put an IV in my arm. It took 3 times before they got it in. (I too have NEVER had needle/blood POTSY issues). By the third one, I was feeling REALLY POSTY and ready to pass out!! Luckally, I was sitting in a reclining chair. They put my feet up, head down and soon I was feelling better. The tech said that messing around with veins triggers your nervous system (including ANS). So maybe when you cut your finger, it was enough to send your ANS into overdrive? Just my thought...

Hollie

If I'm doing something in the kitchen that takes more than a couple minutes, I bring in something to sit on. It just feels too lousy to stand still. I haven't fainted, I just start getting a pounding headache and feeling really ill. I have a walked with a seat that is perfect for counter-top tasks.

Likewise, Sara has never had a problem with needles, being stuck,blood, etc...... However, when the dysautonomia symptoms started, all of a sudden she felt very lightheaded, and like shes going to pass out. Her former neurologist explained that it was because it was an insult to the body to be stuck and the feeling of presyncope was a reaction to that. Now she is always prepared for the feeling and we try take preventative measures.... Susan

Hi Candace,

I am so sorry this happened to you. I know it can be a frightnening experience, but it sounds like you did well handling yourself, and hope you pat yourself on the back. I have a lot of trouble cooking also. I am glad the cookies made it out ok. :blink: I would hate to see all your work go to waste!

I also wanted to ask you if anyone saw you when you fell like jell-o the second time, but didn't lose consiousness? The reason why I am asking is because that is how I feel when it happens to me. Like jell-o going down. I have told the doctors I don't think I am really fainting, but last night I was bent over and stood up and got the head rush, I felt like I was going down, and aimed at a safe place, and fell slowly so I wouldn't hurt myself. But I didn't lose conciousness. So that is how I described it to my family who laughed hysterically at me and asked if I remembered the kleenex box up my nose. My husband said he'd seen airplanes fall out of the sky more gracefully. I truly thought I had floated to the ground in slow motion. I hope this was just a one time instance for you. And I hope you are feeling much better now.

Suzy

No one seen me. I was the only one home at the time, but yeah it was weird how I just went down like that. I didnt loose conciousness but at the same time I was pretty out of it. haha that was pretty funny what your husband said :o I am feeling better than I was last night, thanks :P

Candace

I had some blood tests last week and they had to put an IV in my arm. It took 3 times before they got it in. (I too have NEVER had needle/blood POTSY issues). By the third one, I was feeling REALLY POSTY and ready to pass out!! Luckally, I was sitting in a reclining chair. They put my feet up, head down and soon I was feelling better. The tech said that messing around with veins triggers your nervous system (including ANS). So maybe when you cut your finger, it was enough to send your ANS into overdrive? Just my thought...

Hollie

That sounds like what probably happened, because I wasnt feeling like I was going to pass out before I seen the blood.

Just a hunch but i bet it was the blood if you felt odd looking at it.

For the record, many years ago, i used to love it the rare times I had blood drawn from my arm...the way the blood looked like a pretty maroon color as it filled up the tubes!!

Now, oy vey! I get almost vertigo thinking about it. I simply can NOT watch. Even lying down. And no I never faint just close and get lots of notice (woozieness or loss of vision)

Now about making cookies, I use a bar stool that has a place to put my feet on (so they do not dangle)

For me sometimes i can stand and mix up all the cookie stuff at once. Other times, I sit and measure ALL the dry ingredients in a bowl, cover it. Get out the eggs, butter, sugar, etc (say for chocolate chip cookies) and put those on the counter. then I rest with feet on back of couch (over my head) When ready to mix things together, turn on the oven and let the mixer mix up things up.

I often just make cookies in the small toaster oven for myself and my room mate. Usually it's choc chip cookies. Then I make up individual cookies and put on cookie sheet in freezer for 15 minutes, Then remove cookie dough from tray and put in ziplock freezer bags.

THAT WAY, you have a tray of cookies on short notice, with little effort. Also no more getting tired baking tray after tray of cookies.

Just a hunch but i bet it was the blood if you felt odd looking at it.

For the record, many years ago, i used to love it the rare times I had blood drawn from my arm...the way the blood looked like a pretty maroon color as it filled up the tubes!!

Now, oy vey! I get almost vertigo thinking about it. I simply can NOT watch. Even lying down. And no I never faint just close and get lots of notice (woozieness or loss of vision)

Now about making cookies, I use a bar stool that has a place to put my feet on (so they do not dangle)

For me sometimes i can stand and mix up all the cookie stuff at once. Other times, I sit and measure ALL the dry ingredients in a bowl, cover it. Get out the eggs, butter, sugar, etc (say for chocolate chip cookies) and put those on the counter. then I rest with feet on back of couch (over my head) When ready to mix things together, turn on the oven and let the mixer mix up things up.

I often just make cookies in the small toaster oven for myself and my room mate. Usually it's choc chip cookies. Then I make up individual cookies and put on cookie sheet in freezer for 15 minutes, Then remove cookie dough from tray and put in ziplock freezer bags.

THAT WAY, you have a tray of cookies on short notice, with little effort. Also no more getting tired baking tray after tray of cookies.

I asked my doctor about it and he said that it was probably just from seeing the blood. I do have a bar stool I could use, I will have to do that next time, thanks :(