My Turn For A Public Pots & Ncs Episode

MightyMouse

Well, all I can say is it was mortifying, but I suppose better than if they called an ambulance...

here's the short version... I was helping staff work through some major behavior problems with a student. Time seemed to fly by b/c we were so busy, and I must have lost a lot of body fluid through sweating. Despite drinking plenty of water, about 4 hours into the child's behavioral crisis, I started to feel really disoriented, and became flushed and sweaty and my staff noticed they could see my heart rate racing through my neck, which was pulsating. They wanted to call 911, and I said "no, no, no--I just need to sit and get some water". Well, after 10 minutes, my heart rate would not come down even seated and leaning back--they still wanted to call 911, but I got them to agree to take me to the office where there is a school nurse.

Onward to the nurse, who was really awesome. My heart rate stayed at 120 for the entire time I was there (1.5 hours). During that time, she called my cardiologist and Teri, who came to get me with meds in hand. When Teri arrived it was during school dismissal, so EVERYONE was in the hallway by the office waiting for their school buses or parents to pick up...and I got wheeled out in a wheel chair past them all. I felt like I was on display. Worst of all, from my perspective, was that Teri had parked next to the parent who's child it was that had all the problems that day--and I hope she didn't see me b/c I worry that she'll think her son hurt me somehow. I layed my seat down and just wanted to crawl in a cave somewhere.

Teri got me chinese food which has plenty of sodium, and after eating that and having loads of fluids, I started to feel a bit better, although exhausted. Today, I feel like I ran a marathon yesterday... which I suppose my heart did even if the rest of me sat still.

There is an upside to all this though--the nurse, in the midst of taking care of me---said "you remind me of two high schoolers I take care of at another building who both have POTS". She then said how disabling it was for the two kids and how she's had to give them salty water and salty snacks... I then showed her my medical bracelet and she knew exactly what I needed. She mixed me up some salted water, and gave me a stack of saltine crackers. Pretty cool to have someone knowledgeable! Also, she's a nursing school instructor, so you can at least be happy to know she's passing on accurate info about people like us to new nurses.

So, that was my eventful day yesterday.

Most students (meaning youth) are very self oriented and they won't even remember tomorrow. If you were a peer I think they would never forget.

They spend a lot of time gossiping, but about peers. JMO

It does sound like unfortunate timing. And I would like to give you the WFS award. Worst faint situation. Being as I can't find it and forget what it looks like,

I'll have to get back to you with it.

Congratulations!

Ha! Well, it wasn't so much the kids that were staring so much... it was all the teachers and assistants who were there and stared more than the kids!!!

The sweetest thing happened too though--one of my my more impaired students saw me and as they turned me around to wheel my chair out backwards over a bump, he saw it was me, and said in the sweetest, most genuinely concerned voice "Feel better miss Nina, I hope you're okay tomorrow." I'd have started crying but the grownups were all eyes!

Nina

The sweetest thing happened too though--one of my my more impaired students saw me and as they turned me around to wheel my chair out backwards over a bump, he saw it was me, and said in the sweetest, most genuinely concerned voice "Feel better miss Nina, I hope you're okay tomorrow." I'd have started crying but the grownups were all eyes!

Oh, I'm sorry it was such a tough day yesterday! It's so hard to have to deal with an exacerbation of symptoms, but then when you have to deal with it in front of so many people that makes it much more difficult. My husband is a special education teacher, and some of his students remind me of the sweet, thoughtful child who encouraged you. I hope today is a better day!

Janie

Hi Nina,

I am so sorry for your experience. I am glad though that you didn't have the added experience of an ambulance coming. You did so well handling youself. I am glad there was a smart, and kind nurse there to help you. I hope you rest, and are feeling much better now. Take care of yourself

Suzy

thanks for the well wishes. Today I felt like I'd been hit by a truck or, as I joked with my boss, was still under the truck. She said "you're still under the truck". I'm exhausted, but suppose i should be given all that happened.

Nina

Hope you feel better Nina....

Gee, is this where if I say "It could've been worse" you want to scream?!

Well, let's see, you could've passed out and emptied your bladder in the process!! (That does happen.)

Hope you recover soon...sounds like the one kid was sweet, wishing you well.

Hope you can catch up on some sleep.

I was back at the school all day today--and got a lot of stares again. But, on a nice note, a whole bunch of people asked me if I was feeling better and said they were glad to see me. :( Better, I suppose, than my last job, where my boss thought I was just making it all up and tried to get all the staff to treat me like a faker. I'll take the care and concern over that any day!

Nina