Proamatine/midodrine - Only Generic Is Available Now

iheartcats

My doctors wanted me on the real version of ProAmatine (generic Midodrine) which I've been taking.

My pharmacy just informed me that it is no longer available - the manufacturer has ceased production.

I went ahead and took the generic Midodrine order, but they said to let my doctors know since they specifically asked for non-generic.

This is frustrating because you hear how much better the name brand is, doctor wants me to use it, now I have to try something 'different' and hope it helps me just the same. :rolleyes:

Why do drug companies do this? Once a generic comes out they give up on making the quality product!

Hi,

It's because the generic is much cheaper and most companies only pay generic so the pharmaceutical company is not making enough money on it. They have a patent for some years (maybe 10 or something) to get back the money they put into the research. But then everyone can produce them and since they don't have research investments they can sell it for less. I noticed that the generic often have lactose in it.

I had heard a number of years ago from the cardiologist who prescribed it for me in 1996 (before there was a generic) that the company was not happy with the sales of Pro-Amatine. The company thought that it would do much better in the possible treatment for other conditions. I remember back then my doctor gave me all the clinical trial bottles he had left just in case. I assume that with the generic drug on the market the company made its decision based on profitability.

Too bad!

Lois

Shire US Inc

7900 Tanners Gate Lane, Suite 200

Florence, KY 41042

Listed as Drug Supplier/Manufacture for proamatine as listed in our records.

I know our insurance plan moans and groans :( when we put in for the order for a 90 day supply of proamatine. It always takes a lot of paper work from Dr. Grubb's office to get the order supllied. My son2 did not respond very well to midodrene but proamatene works great.

DADofPotsSon

I have always used generic midodrine, and it has been okay for me. In my experience, though, some generics of it work better than others. If you try different manufacturers then you may find one that works for you. In the last few months I have tried midodrine by three different manufacturers. One is very effective, another barely helps at all, and the third is somewhere in the middle. I have to use a different pharmacy than my normal one in order to get the best generic manufacturer.

I hope you can find a midodrine that works for you.

Rachel

Geez. Now I'm so nervous about this because my current Proamatine is working...and I really need it to make it to work in the morning. I'm useless without it.

The mail-order company I have to use for my insurance is sending me the 90-day supply of the generic 10mg.

I wonder why various generics don't work, or some do. I currently take 10mg in the AM & then 5mg once or twice a day as needed. Maybe I'll just have to take them more often (is it a strength issue)?

I was guaranteed by the mail pharmacy (and the woman checked with the pharmacist for me) that the active ingredient has to be the exact same thing legally per the FDA

Is that true?

My symptoms vary day by day, as all of us do, so it'll be kinda hard to tell how much is the generic Midodrine and how much is weather/illness/whatever else is going on that day with OI.

As far as strength of generics, my former pysch. always wanted me on Prozac and not the generic, because he said different companies had varied amounts of the drug in the pill, even for the same dose. I don't know how true that is or to what extent, but it makes sense that it would be the same with other meds.

Meg

Generic drugs must have the same active ingredient(s) as the brand name drug. However, inactive ingredients can be different. Theoretically, generic meds are supposed to work exactly the same as the brand name med. As many people here can testify, though, that isn't always the case. Perhaps the generic is prepared in a different way, and that effects the way it is absorbed and used by the body.

Of the three different generic midodrine pills I have, one is large and would crumble if cut. It starts to dissolve immediately when I put it in my mouth. The other two generics are very tiny pills, and are much harder. They do not dissolve in my mouth. It is the tiny pills that have worked better for me than the large one. Both are 10mg of midodrine, but one works better than another even though they have the same active ingredient.

Here are some articles on generic vs. name brand prescriptions:

Generic Drugs: Questions and Answers

Generic Drugs, Are They As Good as Brand-Names?

Generic drugs must have the same active ingredient(s) as the brand name drug. However, inactive ingredients can be different. Theoretically, generic meds are supposed to work exactly the same as the brand name med. As many people here can testify, though, that isn't always the case. Perhaps the generic is prepared in a different way, and that effects the way it is absorbed and used by the body.

Of the three different generic midodrine pills I have, one is large and would crumble if cut. It starts to dissolve immediately when I put it in my mouth. The other two generics are very tiny pills, and are much harder. They do not dissolve in my mouth. It is the tiny pills that have worked better for me than the large one. Both are 10mg of midodrine, but one works better than another even though they have the same active ingredient.

Here are some articles on generic vs. name brand prescriptions:

Generic Drugs: Questions and Answers

Generic Drugs, Are They As Good as Brand-Names?

Thank you very much. I really need to be able to cut mine in two - so I will definitely not be able to use the crumbly ones. If they give me the crumbly ones...I'll have to ask my doctor for a script for 5mgs, I guess, and argue with the insurance that I need two doses and can't cut the crumblies in two. :/

The US website still lists ProAmitine as a medication.

I sent an email asking about this as I could not use the horrible, crumbly thick pill generic, by Mylan.

I needed a half a pill and it was IMPOSSIBLE to split. To get the lower dose was only about $35 difference but I have no medicine insurance. MUCH more economical to get the 5mg and split the dose.

Will post an update.

They are STILL MAKING the BRAND NAME. Here is a cut and paste of the email from Shire, you can contact them online or with telephone. :huh:

Thank you for your recent medical information inquiry regarding ProAmatine.

Please note that ProAmatine is currently available on the market and has not been discontinued.

We hope this information will be helpful. Should you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-xxx-xxxx.

Kindest Regards,

Well I am not sure what to do - my mail-in pharmacy gave me misinformation. If I don't use them, my copays are much more costly and I'm not working full time the next couple of months so am doing what I can to save.

Anyway, they've already sent the generic. I can't order a new batch until March.

How should I handle this? Maybe I'll contact the brand-name company, get info, and fax my pharmacy.

I hope the generic works well enough...will it be safe to take a 10mg Generic in the AM and save my 10mg Brand Name to cut into '5s' - I wonder what the harm is in mixing (I usually take 10mg in the AM, 5mg at lunch, 5mg at evening as necessary). At least I know I can cut the 10mg Brand Name.

The pharmacy said they were discontinued, but I wonder if my insurance is just not covering Brand Name and they got confused? If that happened, can I argue with the insurance that Generic doesn't work (if they don't)? I think you have to at least try Generic first to do this, from what I've heard.

Thanks!

have your doctor write the BRAND NAME...dispense as written DAW or whatever they call it now.

No doubt your pharmacy did not WANT to keep the brand name in stock..but if the doc writes for the BRAND name, they have to give it to you.

I have no prescription pay and have to pay all out of pocket (Shire no longer does pt assistance for this med and I fall in the cracks for government help) but the generic I got STANK and crumbled but I ranted on that a year ago.

But I didn't want misinformation being spread about a drug many of us save for only 'special outings' due to the cost !

I'm so upset. I have a 90-day supply of the generic and there doesn't seem much I can do.

My doctor did do DAW/No-Generic but my mail pharmacy specifically said it wasn't made any longer. They could not get it. I'm waiting on a call from Shire for some 'proof' - I need something to argue with them and the insurance company.

In the meantime I am literally AFRAID to take the generic (especially after reading about some bad generics online)...This medicine is what allows me to go to work in the morning. What is the new one doesn't work? What if it causes my BP to fly off the chart? I know where I stand with the other. I'm almost in tears over this. It's a bad situation for me.

The generic 90-day supply is very expensive (I think around $550) and the brand is around $1300 so I can't 'dump' the generic. There is no way.

I just don't know what to do. This is SO frustrating.

If you are taking an entire pill, it's probably not a problem.

MANY of us, due to economical reasons, get the stronger dose than we need and will split the pill where it is scored.

The generic was IMPOSSIBLE to split thus no way to get a proper dose. That was my issue, and Krogers since even the spillter they used could not cut the pill in half. It's the worst pill they ever tried to cut.

If you are taking an entire pill, just try it. I would take an entire pill of generic if given a chance. but I would hope it would help with raising bp...complete with creepy crawly side effects.

:ph34r:

I do take a whole pill in the AM - 10MG so that will be ok for generic then. Glad to hear I shouldn't expect anything completely off the wall!

I'm supposed to take 5MG in the afternoon and as needed in the evening. Not sure what to do if I can't cut it. :ph34r:

I would have to pay out of pocket for the 5MG and I think it's far too much. Will have to see if there's a chance I can cut the generic.

I'll try to go back on the regular when I am out of generic. Will make due until then and try it first on the weekend. Thank you for making me feel better.