Massage Therapy + Pots

Mary

Has anyone used massage therapy to help with their symptoms of POTS? or Has anyone found research to support massage therapy helping people with autonomic disorders? It seems like massage would be a benefit in normalizing the body. I have had hit and miss massages but not enough consistently to see a difference in my symptoms. Any information would be appreciated. thanks, Mary

Hi,

I am a massage therapist and I have had massages every week for years before I became disabled. I had POTS but was able to function relatively well. The only thing I can say is that you have to be careful when getting up because it can cause you to feel dizzy or faint. The reason is that massage dilates blood vessels. It also makes you urinate so you loose some blood volume.

I also had massages every week while I was working and I credit my ability to work for as long as I did in part to these sessions.

I also found an amazing reflexologist (hand, foot and ear) and these sessions tended to be a bit easier on my body while providing the same benefit.

On the downside, I also went to an eastern accupressurist and am convinced that the intense pressure used (let's call what it was PAIN) probably exacerbated my symptoms. I stayed with it for about three months than realized that my overall condition had deteriorated over that time so I stopped going.

However, a few years back I did develop vulvadynia (because apparently I didn't have enough trash can illnesses to cope with!) and after 9 months of trying every allopathic treatment available I did find a GYN who was also a licensed accupuncturist and after a single treatment, that consisted of 40 needles and took the better part of three hours .... I was completely cured. Interesting enough for the first four days the pain actually intensified (as she indicated it might) but then on day five I was completely cured 100%. I continued to see her for the next few months hoping that we could find the "right combination" of points to treat the POTS. But that was never the case.

Just goes to show you that one size doesn't fit all.

I had a massage a couple of months ago. I felt so good afterwards! (definitely need to take it easy because you can feel dizzy but definitely worth it) I only wish I could find a way for insurance to cover the treatments because I can't afford any more.

Lisa

It doesn't help my pots, but my joint pain from eds. I get wicked knots in my muscles that pull my joints out of alignment. If I get massage, and learn some of the techniques my self, I have a lot less pain. I use Davies Trigger point handbook, a foamroller, a hard tubber ball, and a theracane on various sites.

I have to be careful if I have a migraine not to overdo it, as I can make it worse, so I only self-massage when I'm migraine-free.

So it doesn't help my pots, but helps other issues, that then in turn lets me be more active, which does help my symptoms.

I'm fortunate that my husband massages my back almost nightly if he isn't too tired. It helps a lot with EDS.

I regards to helping POTS, I imagine it would calm the ANS system-------which MAY help with hyperadrengic POTS.

If I'm not already having an adrenaline surge, it helps prevent them when I'm overstimulated.

People with ANS dysfunction can get over stimulated------------------sometimes all it takes is watching an action movie to do it for me--- :huh: Just the act of walking around can cause my muscles in my back to turn into rocks, and this is when I ask my husband for an "emergency rub". Between my orthostatic intolerance and spine issues/EDS it takes me so much more energy then a normal person to stay upright. This causes my body to tense up to help the blood vessels constrict.

Sometimes just a quick massage from my husband while trying to walk one end of the mall will allow me to handle walkigna bit more. I do take advantage of those massage chairs whenever I'm out in the mall or a store like costco, kohls ect. However they don't get up around the shoulders very well.

I think massage has lots of wonderful benefits.

Maxine :0)

I do find that sometimes after a bad period of symptoms, after passing out and landing funny, or after spending a lot of time in bed (I'm usually able to do almost anything I want in moderation, except lately) that I have tight muscles. Massage helps with this, although I can't afford it and instead bribe my boyfriend with food for backrubs. :-) Chiropractic care also helps with the soreness.

Meg

Since I have the hyperadrenegic version of POTS, massage helps a lot but can't afford them, so only get them very rarely, but I feel wonderful for a few hours after them, it is amazing! Affects don't last long, but those few precious hours are wonderful. Also, if my ANS is being hypersensative and feeling adrenaline rushes, a simple back rub will help calm it down.

When my POTS was better contolled than it is now I was having personal training sessions at the gym (was too afraid of having a blackout to do even gentle exercise without someone watching me and my HR all the time). My trainer is also a sports massage therapist and started working with me to reduce the muscle knots I had, he also corrected my scoliosis (caused by muscle imbalance) and helps with any EDS injuries.

I don't get to the gym now but I still have the occasional massage (in fact had one today). After he talked with another health professional working with me he has changed from doing lots of deep muscle work to a more relaxing massage style. He does lots of efflurage and is trying to stimulate my lymphatic system (in theory should help with POTS).

I agree helpful but expensive!

Flop

I get massages infrequently, but when I do get them, they definitely help with my coathanger pain. The problem is that I KNOW that after a good massage, I'm going to end up with a doozy of a migraine. But once that is gone, I am usually good for about 2 weeks.

One other thing that I have found to help me is acupuncture. My acupuncturist is an MD, so I always talk to him about my current meds or what else is going on with me. I've been going for over a year (first every week, then every 2 weeks, and soon I will probably drop to once a month) and this has greatly reduced my migraines. When I started going, I was taking 175mg of Topamax and couldn't stand the side effects. Right now I am almost totally weaned off of the Topamax and can take Excedrin to get rid of my migraines instead of prescription migraine medicine. My intolerance to the rx migraine meds is what sparked this, since I had "off label" side effects from every one of them (and I've tried every class!) and hated taking the meds more than I hated the migraines! So, even though I still get infrequent migraines, the intensity is much less and I can take a dose of Excedrin which I can tolerate.