Accomodations At Work

summer

I work part time and I work mostly in the afternoons and evenings. If I had to work full-time or in the morning I'm not sure I could manage, so I am grateful for what I have.

In my case, I did not have to tell my work about my syndrome. I simply told them I wanted to work part-time and later in the day and they accommodated me without questions.

Depending on how much/what kind of accommodation you need, you may not have to file anything formally just yet. Although if my job told me I had to start working mornings, I would def. get a signed/letterhead letter from my doc saying I can't.

I applied for ada status, and needed doctors' records and info. I then had to specify my "reasonable accommodations." At the time, my accommodations were for joint pain, not ans stuff, but are similar. I need to be able to change positions-- so I have a recliner in my office. I need my classrooms to be close to my office (I teach). I need for no single class to last longer than 90 minutes, and if I'm teaching multiple classes, to have a reasonable break. I have a scooter, that I bought myself. In my recliner, I can grade, read, meet with students, work on a laptop, talk on the phone.

I"m also lucky in that my job is inherently flexible. As long as I teach my classes, attend required meetings, and get my research done, I"m okay. And many of these things can be done at odd hours or from odd positions. I"ve taught class while sitting in a a reclining/ergonomic lawnchair that I sometimes drag to class or to a meeting (weights a couple pounds, made by lafuma). During meetings, if I'm struggling, I"ve been known to just say I'm feeling lightheaded, so I can put my head between my knees without feeling too selfconscious.

things have gotten much worse this summer, but my schedule is much looser since I don't teach.

My colleagues no longer think I'm too weird.

Hi,

When I was still able to work I had to work from home because I could not take public transport and I could not walk from my car to my work place.

Also I had to work sitting. I was my own boss so I was able to accomodate myself pretty easily until I crashed 8 years ago.

I got a wheelchair provided for me to allow me to cope with a job that required lots of standing (a no-no with my POTS symptoms). I applied for "Access to Work" a UK benefit that pays for equipment or building modifications to allow a disabled person to work.

Flop

I work a very demanding full time job, but I think that a couple of tweaks have made it bearable...

I filed intermittent FMLA with up to 6 days off per month. I don't take more than a day or so off per month though. My MD also wrote for flexibility to work half days when needed. Just knowing that it is all written gives me great emotional help to get through the day. I also have my doctor on site, since I work in a hospital. I know I have it VERY good. I guess the biggest help is living within minutes of work. If I have to go home and lie down at lunch- I can. I highly recommend living close to work. Also, I have a handicap pass. I explain to my co-workers that I can only take a certain amount of steps per day. Without any of these, I would not be able to do so well.

Kits

I talked to my boss about my health problems. Since i was off work for a few months last year (because i had a very bad episode), he was really concerned and told me, that he didnt want to lose me as his secretary. Many things have changed since then. Now he gets up and gets himself some coffee, instead of me bringing it to him. Whenever standing or walking is necessary i can ask some of our students to do it for me. It also helps me very much, that my sister works at the same company as i do. She is always there for me in case i have a bad day and can't get up without having symptoms. I avoid asking her for help because i am stubborn and want to do it on my own, but it's really a big help to know, that somebody is there to help if necessary.

To get through my workday, i try to sit all the time. When i do have to get up, i make sure that i take all the necessary things with me, so i dont have to get up again for a while. I make sure that i do get up and walk around for a few seconds every hour to help my bloodcirculation. I eat at my desk and i have got fans positioned around me in case it gets to hot or somebody is smoking around me. I also made sure that my office light is not as bright anymore! They turned one big light off, so now it's darker in my office. I have my telephone, printer and copy machine all around me, i also have my drinks and snacks next to me.

I have a fan and a water sprayer under my desk. When it gets to hot i just spray my compression stockings with water and let the fan cool my legs down at the same time. I have also a little fan right in front of me.

These are some of my little tricks on how to get through a workday.

Thanks everyone,

It really has been helpful to hear the things that make it possible for you to work. I am beginning to consider getting back to some type of work and am thinking of what sort of things might help.

Carinara- it's interesting that you mention bright lights. I thought it was just me!! The floresent lighting alone at work is enough to make me sick.

Thanks for all your responses!

Summer

I work a very demanding full time job, but I think that a couple of tweaks have made it bearable...

I filed intermittent FMLA with up to 6 days off per month. I don't take more than a day or so off per month though. My MD also wrote for flexibility to work half days when needed. Just knowing that it is all written gives me great emotional help to get through the day. I also have my doctor on site, since I work in a hospital. I know I have it VERY good. I guess the biggest help is living within minutes of work. If I have to go home and lie down at lunch- I can. I highly recommend living close to work. Also, I have a handicap pass. I explain to my co-workers that I can only take a certain amount of steps per day. Without any of these, I would not be able to do so well.

Kits

I have to file for FMLA next month. I'm almost out of vacation time/sick time (used it all for POTS this year, sadly, but 1 day). My doctor says it will cover appointments and illness (ie - flu causes my heart to race, dizziness, etc so could use FMLA as it is POTS-related).

Did you have to do something special to file for intermittent? I wont' need the whole 12 weeks at once and don't want to approach work until I'm eligible for FMLA (afraid for the ol' job otherwise).

Maybe this could help others, too - being able to take it intermittently.