Severe Dizziness Wakes Me Up During The Night

Hi guys,

With the hot weather here I haven't been feeling too great at all, so I am sorry for my lack of posts. Just curious for the past few nights I have been waking up around 4am or a bit earlier and I am soooo dizzy, I'm unable to get up to even use the bathroom. Does anyone else have this??? Do you think my BP is dropping too low during the night? Is that even possible?? Thanks in advance for any replies. I hope everyone is doing well, you guys are all in my thoughts.

Jacquie

Jacquie-- I know that your B/P can drop during the night. Sara's has dropped to 70/30 while she was asleep. The reason I know this, is it happened while she was in hospital. The night nurse came in to do vitals and almost freaked out. He kept taking her B/P over and over to make sure it was correct. They immediately increased her IV rate. Maybe it would help to increase your fluids at night. But then, there is the problem of having to get up to go to the bathroom. So, its a vicious cycle......... Help one thing, hurt another. I know the heat certainly hurts Sara, she cant tolerate it much at all. Just going to the car for a doctor appt. is stressful, I need to crank the car and get the A/C going before she gets in. And she still is pouring sweat by the time she gets to the car. Anyway---hope you feel much better soon.. Stay cool, Susan :)

I think I know what you mean. I find it a bit scary as I'm stuck lying in bed feeling awful, but unable to move or do anything about it. Even sitting up is out of the question. I'm not sure why it happens. I've had to wait until I've improved a bit before I could check BP and HR and when I did, they were low but not exceptionally so. That said, my guess is that it is low BP as low BP tends to keep me awake whereas low HR doesn't.

Hi Jacquie,

I get dizzy if I lie on my back for too long. Sometimes it only makes me nauseated, but other times I get so dizzy that I feel like I'm on a boat. I find that I don't get as dizzy if I sleep on my side. Perhaps a change of position could help you too.

It also could be, as you mentioned, that your bp is dropping too low. I know that if I am still for too long while lying down my blood pressure will be very low. It wears me out to have such a low bp. I get moving very slowly in the mornings. I move my arms or legs a little bit every few minutes to help my body "wake up." If I wake up in the middle of the night and need to go to the bathroom, I often can't get up right away, or at all. I either crawl to the bathroom or my husband helps me so that I don't fall. A walker helps sometimes too. If you don't have anyone to help you in the night, a walker or a bedside commode could be beneficial.

Sorry you're so dizzy. I hope you can find something soon to help with the symptom or enable you to work around it.

Rachel

Do you have vertigo (room spinning) or just dizzy? If it's vertigo you may have developed an inner ear problem. That's how my Meniere's started. If it's inner ear you will most likely have to stay on a low sodium diet. If it's an ear problem sleeping propped up with 3 or 4 pillows might help.