How Do You Deal With Symptoms Without Getting Anxious?

villen

Ok,its just me nagging again :o

Hope you don`t mind...

I just wondered; how do all of you who doesn`t have anxiety at all, deal with the symptoms? For me, it has almost become autonomic (I have suffered with anxiety for a long time!) that when I stand up, move position etc, and my heart starts pounding and I am out of breath, I immidiately think I am in danger, and I often get full blown panic attacks....How do you manage to stay calm and don`t freak out?

When my heart pounds like that, is it due to adrenaline/stress hormones, that makes the heart to pump harder? Like the glands have to produce extra stresshormones to just stand upright?Or is it just my heart that goes "bananas" without any stress hormones?

sorry if I am bothering you with all my questions

take care, everybody

Hi,

I have survived over 1,500 syncopes in the last 8 years and all the time I feel like I am dying due to the high adrenaline rushes. I never panic even when I faint because I know the drill.

So you can tell yourself that this is a reaction your body has but you are not dying and it will pass. In the long wrong it will work. But you have to keep repeating it many times until your mind believes it.

It's hard to answer your question since I never feel like I am in danger. Maybe since I have been doing this since childhood helps. I had one (what I am thinking is a panic attack) when I first started zoloft. After the first one I had two episodes where i felt like I was going to head into another attack, so I just laid on my bed and did some yoga breathing to calm down. My episodes are scaring me these days since the intesity is increasing, but while in the episode I don't panic. I just get slacked jaw and stare at something till it passes. Then I react to the killer headache i am left with when I can start functioning again. I get scared once I am out of it though. Not in a physical way, but I think about all the differences and wonder if this is going to kill me. My mind doesn't think to panic, so I never have to worry about that. I just sit staring and I don't know what my mind is doing. Kinda focusing on the wave, I guess.

My understanding as to what is going on is that your autonomic nervous system is oversensative to adrenline, so the normal adrenaline that is produced, like say just by waking up, makes your body think it needs to go into a fight or flight mode and therefore the heart pounding, sweating, etc. As for coping - I have to second Ernie, in telling yourself that your body is just having a reaction, you aren't going to die, and it will pass. Typically, I just keep in mind that I've been there, done this before... so to speak... and to try and just breath through it (being short of breath is a bit hard to breath through it, but it can be done and usually clears up quicker if you can stay calm :o But I must admit, the first few years of dealing with it, I definitely had a harder time in coping with them (adrenaline rush type symptoms/panic attack reactions), but after having so many that I've lost count (almost daily before starting on a beta blocker) you will find what works for you to get through them. Hope things get more toleratable for you :)

- Tammy

I agree with ernie, as time goes by and you get more accustomed to the routine your body is going through, you get less and less anxious. I don't think anyone on here has never been anxious about a symptom or something that's going on. I do great until a new and lousy symptom hits and then I have to adjust to it too. It's a time thing....and it is okay to be anxious by the way. Your body is telling you to be, it's a normal response to an abnormal occurance, just remember anxiety doesn't cause POTS, but POTS can exacerbate anxiety. morgan

Guest tearose

After years of dealing with it, when my symptoms flare, my thoughts are basically more scientific and not emotional. I too realize I have to focus on how to deal with the symptoms and get to a better place.

I just feel it is such a big inconvenience and big frustration but I know I will get through whatever I must and it may take days or weeks or months but I eventually see some better days.

:) Maybe it is just that us long term POTS folks have "fried" our nerves so badly we don't experience any fear!!! :o

best regards,

tearose

I have a terrible time with this, being adhd, I can never remember what relaxes me, or that o yea, I had this symptom a few days ago and that it's nothing new. I usually pop on my headphones and listen to something really soothing if I happen to be at home, or really anything that distracts my mind. I have a terrible time focusing on my thoughts and telling myself to calm down, so that kind of nips that in the bud. So yes, distraction is the key ;)

Also meditation tapes really help.. I haven't stuck with it, of course, but it definitely helps me focus when I get really stuck in a big loop and almost puts me to sleep.

Hi There,

I'm not certain of your DX. Do you have POTS or NMH, NCS too? My son has a DX of NMH, NCS ( not officially POTS as his HR of 130 occurred after the first 10 mins. of his TTT.) His ped explained that his body automatically understood it was "in danger" 30-40 mins. before a BP drop. So, even though his BP was normal, his body anticipated a future drop and sent out oodles of adrenalin that was perceived as anxiety. Mack was put on Lexapro (an antidepressant) even though he wasn't officially depressed. It helped so much with his anxiety and also seemed to help regulate his autonomic nervous system. Antidepressants are regularly used to help with dysautonomia. You may want to ask your doc about this. Mack's ped has repeatedly pointed out that this is no emotional weakness on his part, but a purely phsyiological phenomena.

All the best-

Julie