What Works For You For Allergies?

I currently take Zyrtec and Flonase daily for allergies, but for the last year I was getting allergy shots to help control chronic sinusitis. There were several problems with that though. One was that I was not allowed to take my beta blocker on the morning of my shot because of the possibility of a reaction to the shot. So, once a week I would have to skip a pill and I would have increased episodes that day. The other problem is that you're not supposed to get the shot if you're feeling sick, and I feel sick more than I feel good! So I was constantly skipping shots anyway.

About a month or so ago I stopped the shots but I still take my daily meds. Of course, I have already had 2 sinus infections. :) Now I need to find some new solutions. Anything in addition to the meds that will help control the symptoms so I don't have to go back to shots that make me feel horrible and keep me from taking medication that I need. Does anyone have any natural solutions? What remedies work for you? Anything you're already doing for POTS that might help?

Hello,

It sounds like we have similar situations as far as sinus issues. I had sinus surgery last year because I get so many sinus infections each year. I had some polyps that were removed. I also have bad allergies and take Flonase, Singulair, Zyrtec and Benadryll daily. I recently started Sub lingual Allergy Drops (shot alternative) and had to go completely off of my beta blocker in order to take these. It sounds like going of of the beta blocker was much more difficult for you.

The only advice I can give is to consider rinsing your sinus's with salt water each day. The salt water sprays are good but an even better method is to get an bulb syringe and fill a cup with warm salt water and rinse out your sinus's daily. It takes a while to get used to this but it really does help. (It rinses out allergies and also helps rid sinus's of infections as well) If you want to know more about this method just email me. My dr. prescribed this for me and it's the only alternative method that's helped me.

I'm sorry you have this sinus stuff to deal with and hope it gets better,

Take care, ;)

Lisa

I agree with Lisa-- I've found that the best natural way to clear out my blocked nasal passages is a saline spray. The sinus rinse (or neti pot) can be a great alternative too. I take Claritin daily and have managed to stop using Nasonex for now. It was giving me bloody noses rather frequently, so I switched to the saline spray, which I love!

Kristen

I agree with Lisa-- I've found that the best natural way to clear out my blocked nasal passages is a saline spray. The sinus rinse (or neti pot) can be a great alternative too. I take Claritin daily and have managed to stop using Nasonex for now. It was giving me bloody noses rather frequently, so I switched to the saline spray, which I love!

Kristen

whenever i try rinsing my sinuses with nasal spray i just get more clogged up! and most of the water doesnt come back out! could you please tell me what homeopathic remedy you use, my sinuses are always so so congested and get much worse when i eat anything, thanks

Radha

I find that rinsing my sinuses with a saline solution works best for me too...not a saline spray though b/c it just clogs you up in my experience. Neti pots are supposed to be great and I use HydroPulse nasal irrigation system. I bought mine from National Allergy Supply. I definitely used to have a ton of sinus infections and this has really reduced those significantly. I'm currently on Allegra and Singulair but no nasal sprays. Hope this helps.

I had to stop taking allergy shots years ago b/c I nearly died from having reactions twice. For me, Singulair has been a gift from heaven. I take it in addition zyrtec and flonase.

Nina

i take allegra, singulair, and flonase. I also use a neti pot. On top of allergies, I also have enlarged turbinates from vasomotor rhinitis. At night I wear breathe-right strips (in addition to cpap) to help with my sleep apnea.

claritin doesn't do much for me and zyrtec makes me tachy.

We also have heppa filters that really help.

When I"m really bad, I wash my hair before bed, so as not to bring pollen to my pillow.

oh, I also use a NeilMed rinse system--I buy the sets at Target, they usually keep it behind the pharmacy counter. National Allergy used to carry the line in their catalog, but now you have to go to NeilMed's site directly if you want to order online.

I actually rinsed today--it really helps to do it before bed to make sure you don't have allergens in your nose and sinuses before bed--and also wash your hair before bed too to make sure your hair products haven't trapped allergens and then have them all over your face as you sleep. These are all recs from my allergy doc.

Nina

Radha-- I use Ocean Spray saline nasal spray. I don't sniff it up my nose, but just squirt it in and gently blow whatever it loosens. I do that when I feel stuffy, and it helps a lot. If you are getting clogged specifically when you eat, have you looked into food allergies as a possible cause?

Lots of people find the sinus rinse to be more effective, but for some reason, it made me feel more uncomfortable when I was done. We are all very unique and individual in what works and what doesn't!

I used to take shots too but had to give them up due to the beta blocker issue also. I take zyrtec, singulair, astelin and rhinacort. I use the neti pot and find that it does help to reduce the swelling in my sinuses. An air cleaner and my breathe right strips, without them I would not be able to sleep at night.

Now I find it especially bad when the heat kicks in. Makes everything swell.

Hope the sinus rinse helps.

Minnie, the sinus issues are likely separate--sinus problems are common in the general population and having POTS doesn't mean that you wont be bothered by the common stuff many people deal with. As doctors often say, common things are common.

Also, my allergy doc insists that his patients with sinus issues use a rinsing system--he gave me the NeilMed system the first time around. He wont treat with prescriptions unless his patient is already using the system; I also was mandated to use it by my ENT doc after my sinus surgery.

Nina

The NeilMed system is the one I got. I need to be a little more religious about using it, but so far, so good. My allergies didn't actually develop until after I graduated from college, and I've had POTS all my life, so no relationship there. But I also have sinusitis (every allergy outbreak turns right into an infection) so I have to be really careful about keeping my sinuses clear.