What Do You Do When You Have Brain Fog?

kwalk

I'm finally slowly getting out of it right now, as I started cymbalta yesterday. The first few hours of a day I actually know what's going on around me, it's great! Then I go back into brain fog... I feel so frozen. do you basically just have to wait it out or can anyone actually do anything when they are experiencing this?

Hello

Sometimes I find that lying down for a while in a cool, quiet room helps deal with the sensory overload and then I find that after an hour or so the brain fog has cleared.

If not, I agree with Meg; it's very frustrating and I tend to sleep it off.

Having found an antiarrhythmic that works for me, the number of episodes of brain fog has significantly reduced.

i take stimulant medications to help with this. currently daytrana (a patch) but in the past also used concerta with success for a significant period of time. both are long-acting relatives of ritalin. not everyone agrees with this approach nor is it effective for everyone but for me it significantly improves my very limited functioning. without these meds i cannot read or write in any meaningful way; with them i can, though by no means all of the time. but without them i never can.

these meds also have vasoconstrictive properties so can help with BP/ HR regulation as well. those who tend to have problems with overstimulation, anxiety, etc are less likely to do well on these meds but i've never had issues with these things (overstimulation, anxiety, etc) but rather most everything in my body is too slow.

regardless of the meds though there are definitely still times - measured in anything from minutes to months at a time, though generally it's hours or days - where i can't read/ write in any meaningful way.

B) melissa