Symptomatic After Waking Up

Jacquie802

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is doing somewhat well if not great. I've been putting along lately, myself. Just curious when you guys take a nap or get up in the AM how long does the lightheadedness last???? Mine seems to last hours where I feel like I have been drinking all night even though I haven't!!

Thanks,

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie,

For myself...each day seems a bit different. But most days it's early afternoon. These are some things I do to help reduce my symtoms...

1. Very restricted diet. NO wheat, refined sugar, or dairy, limited fiber.

2. Consume small portions at a time.

3. I eat VERY VERY slow. (look at a magazine or read a chapter of a book) this helps me eat slow.

4. Walk small distances at a time. But try to walk everyday. (twice a day).

5. I keep a bottle of water at my bed side and I sip on it throughout the night.

6. Before going to sleep and before getting out of bed I quote positive affirmations. (kind of like meditation).

Even one day when I am well, I will follow these guidelines I've made for myself. Why? Because there heathy ones and they sure can't do any harm.

I take my medicine almost immediately after I get up and it has made a HUGE difference. Formerly, I would take one Florinef around mid-morning and another in the afternoon and my beta blocker mid-morning or so. I now take everything (both Florinef) with my first sip of coffee and it cuts my "hung-over" time down considerably. So, instead of feeling like a truck hit me for the first couple of hours every morning, I feel realtively good after about fifteen minutes. Relatively good being a very subjective term, of course :(

Carmen

I don't usually feel too dizzy after getting up either. But when I do, I try to do a little bit of exercise, as far as I am able, to get "things moving."

Interestingly, I have the same experience that Lina has: if I sleep late or too long, I feel much worse and it also seems to bring on my palpitations too--skips, especially. Again, getting upright and getting moving seems to help.

I try to do as much exercise as possible, especially things that strengthen my legs. I too keep water by my bed to keep hydrated at night.

Good luck!

India

Hi Jacquie, I have lightheadedness when I get up; I set an alarm for about half an hour before I actually want to get up, eat a granola bar (cause I need food in my stomach for meds) take my meds and go back to bed for half an hour. That way, my meds have some time to kick in. Also, when I get up, if I sit for a while before I actually climb out of bed it helps. I hope you find a way to feel better! Meg

Hello,

I think it makes sense that some of us are quite lightheaded when we are trying to get up. I experience this as well. I'm pretty sure that blood pressure drops while sleeping so getting up can be challenging.

I have to take my dose of Midodrine about 20 minutes before getting up. After I take it I prop myself up with pillows and begin to adjust to more of an upright posture.

Hope you have a good day!

Lisa

changing positions makes me much worse, i often get a severe sudden slash pain always across the left side of my head, very lightheaded, and at the same time very hyper and feel like i am going into shock, and it takes too long to settle down again, i do use oxygen which helps some,

Radha

My tachycardia and hypotension is worst in the morning. My doctor isn't sure why this happens but told me to drink 16oz of water as soon as I can. I still find that I don't feel somewhat better until about noon.

I generally find mornings the hardest part of the day - I don't get going properly until about 11am. I make sure that I have had plenty to drink in the evening (water not alcohol) and also drink during the night. It does mean getting up to go to the bathroom at night but I don't feel so dehydrated in the mornings. I always set 3 alarm clocks (with the last one being the other side of the room so I have to get out of bed. The gaps allow me to gradually sit up, take my meds and drink a large glass of squash before actually getting out of bed about half and hour after my initial alarm.

Flop