Shopping

I have Pots and as much as a I try and forget I do and just keep going sometimes its impossible. Shopping is my worst nightmare, I get hot and dizzy and get immediate and sometimes uncontrollable urges to go the bathroom and i start sweating and feel faint. My friends look over and wonder what the heck is going on, im so "out of it" I feel like i different person when it comes to any situation that involves a lot of standing like this and its really hard to explain to friends. I take bisoprolol and midodrine and sometimes wear compression stockings, but has anyone experienced this or have found a way to deal with this?

-alexandra

I sometimes forget I have NCS too. I had a really good afternoon last Thursday which means when I came home from work I did not go straight to bed. I had energy to wash the dishes.......woohoo. I felt so good and I thought man how good it would be to feel like this all the time, maybe it is a trend. Not. The very next day I had a really bad day. I woke with a migraine and then later that day was tachy with PVC's and a near syncope. I wish I could say that I could see it coming but sometimes it just hits you out of the blue and you are out somewhere and not prepared. Hope you feel better.

mary

This is something I experience quite frequently when I have to stand for any extended period. I find the best way to cope is to:

1) Not panic-- this just makes things worse

2) Dress in layers so you can cool off by taking off a layer or two

3) Carry a water bottle with you

4) Squat down closer to the floor-- if in a store, you can just pretend (or actually) look at something on a lower shelf

5) Raise yourself up and down on your tip toes a few times to flex your calf muscles and circulate your blood

6) Look for a place to sit down

As far as being with friends, I try to warn them ahead of time of what might happen-- i.e. I might get dizzy and not act like myself. If you can't or don't feel like you can talk to them ahead of time, you can always say, "I'm feeling a little lightheaded, so don't take it personally if I seem out of it." Most people should be concerned if they see you sweating, pale, or not feeling well and one friend might volunteer to find you a chair or accompany you to the bathroom.

Those are just some thoughts off the top of my head. Stores are tough places to go, but if you go when you are well hydrated and not right after a meal, you might have more success! You can also use a wheelchair, but I understand how you might want to walk if you are able most of the time.

Hope this helps!

kristen

The worst thing about shopping for me is when I squat down to look at something and stand backup. It always catches up with me and I get dizzy. My husband is ready to play "catch" just in case. He has got to the point that he offers an arm automatically when I stand up.

Nicole

Guest tearose

It is very difficult to be out feeling independent and then suddenly know we need to sit or lay down.

I use a seat cane too! It has given me back my sense of safety and independence while away from familiar home surroundings.

I added a strap to it so I can sling it over my arm if I feel like walking without holding onto it. I need mine for sitting not for walking unless I have a virus or fever.

There are nice light weight three legged seat canes out there.

best regards,

tearose

I just wanted to say be careful with the canes... If you *really* don't feel good sit on the floor. My cane at least isn't very steady. I don't use it anymore because I progressed to a wheelchair (and now I can rarely get out in the w/c but...)... There were several times where I felt dizzy and whipped out my "handy-dandy SEAT CANE!"... Either I would lose my balance or I would just pass out but either way the result was the same... I ended up on the floor. Just an FYI... But I do (did) like my seat cane. I took it on a photography field trip to downtown Denver 4 years ago and if I hadn't had the cane I wouldn't have been able to go... I think my mom got mine from "Lillian Vernon" for like twenty bucks...

I have experienced problems with shopping also, which is really hard for me because prior to my POTS "decline" I LOVED to shop. Wild horses couldn't drag me away from a mall. But since last September, when I started becoming symptomatic, shopping has become one of those things that I do when I HAVE to. And always with my husband close-by in case of trouble. It really kind of makes me sad to think about it. It sounds like you are doing just about all you can to help yourself, other than telling your friends about your condition (which I can understand if you don't want to share). I can't really give any advice here since the only way I've found to cope is to avoid it whenever possible...

Mary

Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone! I think it helps most to know that I'm not the only one dealing with this, sometimes its just so frusterating and no matter how you explain it to people around you they never quite understand. So its just nice to know im not alone and you guys have given me some great ideas!

take care!

If you are at a store like Wal-Mart, Target, or a grocery store, you can borrow one of their electric scooters. Before I had a wheelchair of my own I used those every time I went shopping. It was impossible to make it around the store otherwise.

Now I have my own chair and my husband pushes me. I elevate my legs and we pile me up like a flat bed cart! I have diapers, toilet paper, shopping basket, etc. all stacked up in my lap and on my legs. Sometimes my son is on my lap too. We are quite the sight. :P:)

I hope you can find some tricks to make life easier as you shop.

Rachel

Not only is the standing most difficult when shopping, the lights in many stores make me feel disorientated also, so I do all my shopping, even grocery shopping on-line, it's the only way I can be focused enough to buy the right things. The last time my husband took me in shopping to Target, I was there for about 10 minutes trying to decide on a hair color, as I wanted to color my hair for Christmas (even though I and since I stood there too long trying to decide, I suddenly felt soooo sick and weak .... so grabbed the color I was looking at right at that moment and tore to the check-outs as fast as possible before I almost collapsed. A few days later when I was feeling somewhat up to having my neice color my hair, she used to color I had picked up and I ended up with Flaming Red hair... it was than that I realized I obviously picked out the wrong color... (I have dark brown hair and I like nutmeg/chocolate colors)! So I learned I'm better off waiting for items to come in the mail :)

- Tammy

YEH!! i have teh same sort of reactions.. there are time that i go int o walmart or something and try walking around.. only yo run to the bathroom 5 times in 20 minutes... i get just like you describe!

SO now when i go to walmart.. i use the power buggies they have available.. and i either late and night ot early in the mornig when the store is pretty well dead.. to ensure a cart is available...

if im ventureing out by nyself i use my power chair.. which is not easily transportable..so i use the lift or something to cart me around.. BUT its a life saver... b/c I can fully recline if i feel sick.. and it alows me more "time out in and about"

uhm like someone else mentioned always carry water or gatorade with you...maybe dress in layers.. incase you get hot or cold quickly.. uhm have a nsack or sorts in your purse.. something salty..pretzels beef jerky.. something like that.. also.. dont be afraid..(again like toehr mentioned) to let your friends know whats going on...

uhm squating does help.. i squat and rock back and forth on my feet... until i feel some waht normal again..and then generally need help getting to my feet.. so a cane would be handy for that as well..

dont fear talking to your friends.. maybe that will understand and want to help if your feeling sick.. and need to go or something..

hang int here!!!

i know it sukcs have this at any age really and not being able to do "normal" things... you eventually learn triggers and ways around things.. and tricks that help you get thru outings...(ie best times for you to go out.. and when you feeling best..)

I use a rollater walker with a seat...LOVE it!! I actually kinda looks like a mini shopping cart b/c it has a removable basket so people don't seem to realize I'm using a walker. It gives me a lot of security knowing I can sit if I need too...also helps me feel more balanced on those days when I'm kinda' wobbly. They are more expensive than the seat canes but still light weight and affordable. Just another option for you! Welcome to the board. :)

I think shopping with friends is the biggest challenge. They will inevitably stand looking at products way longer than you can do. If you follow them, you are in trouble, if you op out, you miss out. I too used to be a shopping tragic. Now, if I shop with friends (very rarely, but you are still young!) I explain that I just can't stand for long, I park myself down on a seat or at a coffee shop and give them permission to go on ahead. Then they come back and you can look at all their goodies and have fun with your friends which is important. Failing that, I am now shopping only at my local shops and internet shopping for clothes. Not as good but better than nothing.