Pots After Pregnancy

mvdula

Well, I am posting yet again. Please respond if you think your POTS was caused by pregnancy. My cardio suspects POTS. Mine seems to have started during my 4th pregnancy, and hit me very hard after I cut down nursing and subsequently weaned baby at about 1 year. Really wondering about prognosis, and if anyone has any experience with this type of POTS onset.

I have pregnancy-induced POTS. Mine came on with first pregnancy which was also complicated by pregnancy-induced hypertension. I can say my life hasn't been the same since.

E-mail me if you want to talk or have specific questions. Also, I did manage to get pregnant again and have another child successfully 9 months ago, and am basically now back to where I was after child no. 1. So there is hope if you decide to have another child.

Amy

POTs was triggered by my first pregnancy 12 years ago. I was on bedrest for 2 months. After delivery I thought I returned to normal, but in retrospect I was more tired than a normal person. Then during my second (and last!!!) pregnancy, the POTS was triggered again.

During the second pregnancy, the POTS was tons worse. I required up to 200mg of metoprolol, a beta blocker, just to be able to stand long enough to go to the bathroom. After delivery, I expected to do well again. The super surprise was that I am now permanently left with severe POTS requiring 200mg of toprol, 40mg of midodrine, mestinon, salt tablets, compression stockings, and a dramatic change of my ability to work.

At least my children are healthy, but I cannot go to all of their games. I cannot take them shopping, except infrequently.

Perhaps pregnancy triggering the POTS is an autoimmune process. I do not think anyone knows for sure.

Karyn

I was diagnosed in my 5th month of pregnancy and only got worse after I had him. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital in 07 after I had my son due to POTS. I do have a 4yr old son which I had no problems during that pregnancy. I was told that this pregnancy brought on the POTS. My son is now 6 months and I feel like I am getting better. My cardio has said I should be alot better in 2-3yrs. I HOPE!

Jaie--your experience during your second pregnancy sounds a lot like my first and only pregnancy. I also started developing POTS symptoms mid 2nd trimester. By month 7 I stopped working (in the office, I was able to work some at home). I also got even worse post partum. After about a year I was well enough to go back to work and lead a fairly normal lifestyle--I am now very well, but do have yucky flare-ups. I think your doctor is right that you have every reason to expect to improve.

The Mystery Diagnosis program on OI that aired on the Discovery Health channel recently suggested a connection between OI and 2nd trimester miscarriage. However, there are so many causes for premature births and miscarriage and there is no study or indication that OI can cause either of these. I don't know what the rate of pre-term birth is among all women, but it doesn't feel to me like there is a preponderance of it among the women on this forum. I think good studies will have to be done before that link can be made.

• 5 years later...

Mine didn't start during pregnancy but after, several months after. I had a complicated delivery, lots of blood loss during and after. Retained placenta, d&c, etc. I think the trauma and stress on my body caused my dysautonomia/POTS. This is the only thing I can think of that could justify it, that is, if there isn't another underlying cause that I am still actively searching for. I think its' all hormonal related honestly!!!

tpapik, I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry you have to deal with POTS on top of this.

I started having mild symptoms like inability to stand still and "anxiety attacks" in my 3rd trimester, but I attributed them to just being pregnant. Then I had a VERY traumatic and difficult delivery and lost 2 liters of blood. Then immediately after childbirth my symptoms got severe and I was bedbound. I am still bed/housebound, but I feel a tiny little better 3.5 months later. I have a good day here and there and don't use a wheelchair all the time anymore. I hope in 1-2 years to become somewhat functional again.

I completely agree with misstraci. I believe it's hormonal or autoimmune (despite negative ANA) as all my tests came back normal (except TTT).

How have you all been?

• 4 years later...

I immediately began to feel lightheaded, pressure to brain, on mt first attempts to lay on stomach after csection healed.. then i noticed my already sensative sence of smell heightened making it difficult to clean with regular horse hold chemicals , then began to notice i was experiencing headaches 3/7 days of the week.. 

I just had my 2nd child 4months ago on a repeat c section .my kids are 11 months apart 

I had an epidural first child then 11 months later a spinal .. 

Im convinced it is/was the cause to my new symptoms.. my overall daily feeling after my second child is completely different , everyday i feel new pain or discomfort somewhere in my body .. prior to my children my only issues were heat exhaustion. . Now my Achilles hurt to stand after sleeping , the laying on stomach,  the hair being long,  headaches, extreme sweat. . I truly believe they jacked me up with the spinal .. 

Sad